Author Topic: Short changed at a restaurant  (Read 16055 times)

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Re: Short changed at a restaurant
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »
The entire plot of Office Space rotates around how much money you can steal by skimming a small amount off a lot of transactions.

I was thinking this too.  If we take the example of the 37 cents and 15 tables per night and assume the waitress is full time with a two week vacation, that equals 0.37 * 15 tables * 5 days per week * 50 weeks = $1,387.50.  It doesn't look quite so small anymore.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »
I have personally never, ever been to a restaurant where the server didn't have easy access to change. I've traveled quite a bit over a good number of countries and eat out often.

I'm not calling you a liar, just saying that you do seem to have very limited experience to a certain kind of serving, so I'm not sure the "but it's so hard for servers to get change" excuse flies either. Even if it's more difficult for that server to get change, that's no excuse for a server not to bring change to the person waiting for it.

this ^^ 

i've lived in and traveled through a lot of places,  everywhere has had a till and i've been brought all of my change

Count me in this group. I go out to eat at least once a week every week and have for almost 20 years consistently. I live in NYC but regularly travel throughout New England, NJ, Penn, and have frequented FL, LA, CA, NV, and Canada and have been to Japan and the mid-west plus various countries in Europe half a dozen times. The norm in all these places has always been all my change. Yes occasionally pennies are rounded to the nearest nickle, as is the official way in Canada, but over 4 cents, I have consistently always gotten all my change unless I indicated I didn't want it ("no change" or "keep the change" etc).

This rounding to quarters, half dollars or whole dollars might very well go on in a few select places by a few select waitpeople, but it is a far cry from standard anywhere I have ever been. And this goes for hole in the wall greasy spoons in shifty neighborhoods to high end, rubbing elbows with the 1% in places like the Hamptons - change is given in total as standard practice IME.

Goosey

« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »
Even if the waitress isn't keeping it, though, and it instead goes to balance out a transaction in which a patron was given $.37 MORE because the server didn't want to handle change, that doesn't benefit the person who has $.37 less than they were entitled to. It benefits the restaurant and the server. The server doesn't have to do all the extra work of getting the change; the restaurant probably comes out ahead more often than not.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
Yes, but are you looking at this at all from others' perspectives? It might not be a rude action towards you because you intended her to have those coins anyways and don't care. But, you are not everyone and many people want/need those coins for various reasons. So, to me, the argument of "Well, I wanted to her to have it anyways" is very weak in excusing away this action.

Then ask for the coins back.  If the server refuses, then I agree there is a problem.  If the server happily provides them, I say no harm no foul.  I am seeing this from the server's perspective also.

Why should I have to ask for my own property back?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LeveeWoman

« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
The entire plot of Office Space rotates around how much money you can steal by skimming a small amount off a lot of transactions.

I was thinking this too.  If we take the example of the 37 cents and 15 tables per night and assume the waitress is full time with a two week vacation, that equals 0.37 * 15 tables * 5 days per week * 50 weeks = $1,387.50.  It doesn't look quite so small anymore.

Especially if it's not taxed.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »
Tips must be reported and are taxed.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
Tips must be reported and are taxed.

They're not taxed if she is dishonest and doesn't report that extra money, and given that she's skimming it in the first place, it might not be that much of a leap.

Curious Cat

« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
I have personally never, ever been to a restaurant where the server didn't have easy access to change. I've traveled quite a bit over a good number of countries and eat out often.

I'm not calling you a liar, just saying that you do seem to have very limited experience to a certain kind of serving, so I'm not sure the "but it's so hard for servers to get change" excuse flies either. Even if it's more difficult for that server to get change, that's no excuse for a server not to bring change to the person waiting for it.

this ^^ 

i've lived in and traveled through a lot of places,  everywhere has had a till and i've been brought all of my change

I've traveled quite a bit as well and have never experienced what Turtledove is talking about *for waitstaff*  My cousin is a "shot girl" in Miami and her experience is similar to what TD is talking about - she doesn't have access to a till/must carry her own change.  However this is absolutely the only time I have heard of this ( all over the US as well as Europe, Mexico and the Carribean) and I really don't think it is relevent to the discussion because it is such a unique situation.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
Locked, to put an end to the ridiculous nit- picking.