Author Topic: Short changed at a restaurant  (Read 16062 times)

Need to Change

Re: Short changed at a restaurant
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 02:56:49 AM »
I've run into clerks and servers who simply, and honestly, don't know how to make change properly.  It seems to be an increasingly common occurrence.  Therefore, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as to their intentions, but I will point out the error.

Most will make corrections themselves.  Some will need to consult with a supervisor first (... sigh ...).    If they outright refuse, then it's time to have a chat with management.

nayberry

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »
i had this happen once,  i stayed sat at the table until the waitress came back to the table asking if we were ok, i asked for the rest of my change and as she blushed and handed it over, i told her that she would have had a tip but trying to steal from me meant she got nothing.  and then i went to the manager.  she was not happy and i believed her when she said that the waitress would NEVER do that again at that restaurant.

Curious Cat

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »

asking If I need change back.

Every time this has happened to me the server has not looked at the money, just picked up the booklet that you put the cash/card in.  I have no problem with that because they are just trying to find out if they need to come back to the table.  If the server looked and saw it was $100 on a $50 bill and asked that would be inappropriate.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »

Every time this has happened to me the server has not looked at the money, just picked up the booklet that you put the cash/card in.  I have no problem with that because they are just trying to find out if they need to come back to the table.  If the server looked and saw it was $100 on a $50 bill and asked that would be inappropriate.

Asking about a one-dollar bill for a five-dollar tab would be just as inappropriate because it's not the server's money.

Curious Cat

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »

Asking about a one-dollar bill for a five-dollar tab would be just as inappropriate because it's not the server's money.

I was exaggerating for effect.  My point was if they don't look I don't mind them asking because they don't know what is in the billfold.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »

I was exaggerating for effect.  My point was if they don't look I don't mind them asking because they don't know what is in the billfold.

I think asking at all is rather presumptuous. If a customer wants to leave a tip, she will do so.

Curious Cat

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 09:14:33 AM »

I think asking at all is rather presumptuous. If a customer wants to leave a tip, she will do so.

Yes and sometimes that tip is already included in the money that is left in the billfold.  Clearly we are at impasse here so I'm happy to agree to disagree.

kategillian

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
I am a server, & I admit to doing this at times, but only when the change is less than a quarter. I'm so annoyed at change in general, I don't know why we still use pennies, which to me are completely useless. I guess I assumed everyone felt the same way, but now I realize they don't! I will start bringing everyone their change.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:07 AM »

Yes and sometimes that tip is already included in the money that is left in the billfold.  Clearly we are at impasse here so I'm happy to agree to disagree.

So am I.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »
I don't like being asked "do you need change?" because it can feel like pressure. On the other hand, I sometimes hand the money to the server and volunteer "I don't need change" if I have put in the amount I want to give them, including tip (especially if I have small bills). I figure that tells them that they don't need to deal with my payment right away, if there are other jobs waiting (bringing someone else food or change or taking an order), and that this is a cash payment, not a credit card that they need to run. "Can I keep all this as a tip?" is a different question from "is it okay if I take their order before processing your payment?" but the server would probably ask it the same way.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

delabela

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
It's weird for a server to make the assumption that a dinner doesn't want the coin change, and it would likely be something I'd notice.  However, I would have very little interest in doing anything about it.  When I go out to eat, I assume tip as part of the cost, and I suppose in my mind some of my change does indeed belong to the server.  Assuming I was going to tip more than 99 cents, it's just part of doing business, and I would hate to ruin the experience of having a relaxing/fun meal out with complaining to the manager about less than a dollar. 

I have found it interesting to hear from the people who would have a stronger reaction that I.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 02:09:38 PM »
Back in the dark ages I waited tables. I never asked customers if they wanted the change. I would say, "I'll be right back with your change."
As for making change, I agree with the poster who said that some people simply don't know how to figure out the change due without help from technology. I am glad we were taught to count back change in math class at school. It's a skill you use your whole life. As servers we were expected to figure out tax and change.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »
I am a server, & I admit to doing this at times, but only when the change is less than a quarter. I'm so annoyed at change in general, I don't know why we still use pennies, which to me are completely useless. I guess I assumed everyone felt the same way, but now I realize they don't! I will start bringing everyone their change.

Ever not get a tip and not know why?

I am glad you won't be doing that anymore.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 05:54:49 PM »
I think it's completely possible that it could have been an accident. A lot of cash registers now spit out the coins for you, while you retrieve the bills from the drawer. When paying at the grocery store, I have forgotten to grab my OWN change on more than one occasion.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

delabela

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »

Ever not get a tip and not know why?

I am glad you won't be doing that anymore.

Please forgive me if it's not my place to say, but this seems harsh - especially when the poster is acknowledging she made an assumption that she realizes is incorrect and will not be making any more.