Author Topic: Short changed at a restaurant  (Read 16293 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: Short changed at a restaurant
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
I can't think of the last time I paid with cash at a restaurant, but this is something I doubt people will ever agree on. For me, it is so not an issue to round to the nearest dollar. I thought this would be a situation of giving a server a $50 on a $35 tab or something. I think there are enought people who think counting out 37 cents only to be handed it back is an exercise in silliness that it is unkind to portray the server as some sort of evil theif, trying to get rich 37 cents at a time. I can see sime people feel strongly otherwise, but I just can't get behind the "she is stealing my money" type spin on this. Sure, it's not technically the server's money, but social convention makes it reasonable for the server to assume she will be getting a tip and to a lot of people, 37 cents is just an annoying amount to carry around.

Miss Understood

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »
Back in the dark ages I waited tables. I never asked customers if they wanted the change. I would say, "I'll be right back with your change."
As for making change, I agree with the poster who said that some people simply don't know how to figure out the change due without help from technology. I am glad we were taught to count back change in math class at school. It's a skill you use your whole life. As servers we were expected to figure out tax and change.

This was what I did too (also back in the dark ages).  90% of the time, if the person didn't in fact want change s/he would say so at that point.  However, sometimes they wouldn't hear me I guess so I would end up bringing back change even though it was obvious from the amount that it wasn't wanted ($33 on a $27 check for instance), because I had said I would.  Then I'd get the "are you mentally challenged?" look.  Oh well - better than looking presumptuous. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2013, 07:29:20 PM »
I am a server, & I admit to doing this at times, but only when the change is less than a quarter. I'm so annoyed at change in general, I don't know why we still use pennies, which to me are completely useless. I guess I assumed everyone felt the same way, but now I realize they don't! I will start bringing everyone their change.

Ever not get a tip and not know why?

I am glad you won't be doing that anymore.

Please forgive me if it's not my place to say, but this seems harsh - especially when the poster is acknowledging she made an assumption that she realizes is incorrect and will not be making any more.

Harsh why?  It's something that's been brought up in this thread and I genuinely wonder. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »
I can't think of the last time I paid with cash at a restaurant, but this is something I doubt people will ever agree on. For me, it is so not an issue to round to the nearest dollar. I thought this would be a situation of giving a server a $50 on a $35 tab or something. I think there are enought people who think counting out 37 cents only to be handed it back is an exercise in silliness that it is unkind to portray the server as some sort of evil theif, trying to get rich 37 cents at a time. I can see sime people feel strongly otherwise, but I just can't get behind the "she is stealing my money" type spin on this. Sure, it's not technically the server's money, but social convention makes it reasonable for the server to assume she will be getting a tip and to a lot of people, 37 cents is just an annoying amount to carry around.

I tend to keep the small coins and tip in full dollar amounts.  So a server not bringing back the coins would get less tip from me, especially if it was a smaller check.  On a $10 bill, I'd tip $2.  But I wouldn't tip $2.37 and if I don't have any other coinage to make up the $0.63, I'm only tipping $1, on top of the $0.37.  Maybe I am being petty but I'm not going to be forced into tipping more than I intended because the server failed to bring me all my change, whether by accident or on purpose.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gollymolly2

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »

I agree.

When I was a waitress, it was a pain to give back exact change for a variety of reasons. So I always rounded. Now, I always rounded up, so if I owed them 37 cents, I'd give back 50 cents, so I wasn't doing what people complain about here. But I certainly understand why some don't give change back and I can't imagine myself ever caring about someone keeping thirty cents that I was going to give anyway.

Between this thread and the thread about the family deciding to donate a dinner to the homeless, it seems like some people here are quick to be upset and find the negative in situations. Maybe part of etiquette should be assuming the best about others and not making mountains out of molehills.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:46:03 PM by gollymolly2 »

delabela

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
I am a server, & I admit to doing this at times, but only when the change is less than a quarter. I'm so annoyed at change in general, I don't know why we still use pennies, which to me are completely useless. I guess I assumed everyone felt the same way, but now I realize they don't! I will start bringing everyone their change.

Please forgive me if it's not my place to say, but this seems harsh - especially when the poster is acknowledging she made an assumption that she realizes is incorrect and will not be making any more.

Harsh why?  It's something that's been brought up in this thread and I genuinely wonder.

Possibly due to the limits of relaying tone in writing - but I thought your statement came across as sarcastic and a bit like taunting the poster.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »
When I was a waitress, it was a pain to give back exact change for a variety of reasons. So I always rounded. Now, I always rounded up, so if I owed them 37 cents, I'd give back 50 cents, so I wasn't doing what people complain about here. But I certainly understand why some don't give change back and I can't imagine myself ever caring about someone keeping thirty cents that I was going to give anyway.

I wouldn't have a problem with this.  If you are giving me back change, rounded to the nearest quarter, that's fine.  Here in Canada, we've actually done away with the penny so I would only be expecting 35 cents, anyway.  It is the principle of the matter, for me. 

I once loaned someone a package of Kraft Dinner.  She told me she would replace it.  Then when it came time to do that, she told me to buy it and she'd reimburse me.  When I replaced it at full cost, when I'd normally only buy it on sale, and told her how much she owed me?  She refused to pay me.  Yes, it was less than $1 but it was the principle of the matter.  And I see this very similarly.  And no, I never loaned her anything ever again.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »
I've been a waitress and a cashier and even if it's a pain (which I never thought it was.  There are many reasons I hate those jobs, but counting coins was not one of them), I give back the full amount.  It's not my money even if it's only a penny.  I doubt the owner of the store/restaurant will forgive .37 cents from each customer just because the customers think it's a pain to fumble and count out coins when it's time to pay (yes, I know most customers pay with bills, but for those who hate coins or don't want all those coins back for a bill of $10.13, they will need to fumble for the exact change.)

gollymolly2

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
I've been a waitress and a cashier and even if it's a pain (which I never thought it was.  There are many reasons I hate those jobs, but counting coins was not one of them), I give back the full amount.  It's not my money even if it's only a penny.  I doubt the owner of the store/restaurant will forgive .37 cents from each customer just because the customers think it's a pain to fumble and count out coins when it's time to pay (yes, I know most customers pay with bills, but for those who hate coins or don't want all those coins back for a bill of $10.13, they will need to fumble for the exact change.)

In my experience, some places have cash registers, in which case it's very easy to make change. And others require servers to be their own cashiers - so the servers have to bring in their own bill and coin change each day and carry it around. For those places, there are lots of reasons it can be difficult to make exact change (you don't want to carry around a ton of coins, a few customers end up needing a lot of change, resulting in you running out of coins, etc). Not saying it's a huge ordeal, but lots of tiles it was easier to just round (up) than to find another server or the bartender and have them break a dime for you.

Not saying that it's good practice to give back less change than is owed. I just don't see any need to assign nefarious intentions. Just doesn't seem like a big deal. It's a matter of cents.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »
I think there is a difference between a cashier and a waitress. A cashier has a cash register and there is no expectation of a tip. Like I said, I don't pay in cash but a typical lunch for two might be $34.17 and I would just add $7 as roughly 20% and call it a day for a total of $41.17. If for some reason I were paying cash I bet I would put two twenties and a five and leave it all for a total of $45. In my circle of colleagues and friends, my approach is typical. As a former server I feel tipping is a part of eating out.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »
I don't see failure to return the appropriate change because it was too much effort or because you don't know how as being all that superior to avarice.

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2013, 08:44:57 PM »

Possibly due to the limits of relaying tone in writing - but I thought your statement came across as sarcastic and a bit like taunting the poster.

I read it the same way.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »
I don't see failure to return the appropriate change because it was too much effort or because you don't know how as being all that superior to avarice.

I think there is (at least) a third reason of "because it is a pointless exercise." When I was cocktailing I can think of very few times a person actually wanted their change as in coins back. I think I always asked but the answer was 99.99% percent, "don't be silly." I see not everyone agrees, but I don't think it's fair to paint the change-keeping servers as maliciously taking advantage of their customers or as too stupid to count change.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »

I read it the same way.

So even when I've explained what I meant, you still felt the need to join in and bash me?  Nice.

June24

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 10:33:56 PM »

I think there is (at least) a third reason of "because it is a pointless exercise." When I was cocktailing I can think of very few times a person actually wanted their change as in coins back. I think I always asked but the answer was 99.99% percent, "don't be silly." I see not everyone agrees, but I don't think it's fair to paint the change-keeping servers as maliciously taking advantage of their customers or as too stupid to count change.

Yeah, I agree. I think the opinions of people on ehell sometimes differ very substantially from the opinions of a lot of people I know in real life. I like getting another perspective, but sometimes I'm pretty surprised. I don't think I know anyone or have ever been to dinner with anyone who would care about not getting back coins. Most people I know factor it into their tip or don't take much notice of it at all.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:19:54 AM by June24 »