A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Healthy eating?

(1/9) > >>

Redsoil:
After reading posts in the "Get fit E-Hell" thread, I'm interested in what others consider to be appropriately healthy foods.  Should be obvious, I guess, but I thought it may be interesting to see what others eat and possibly expand my own range of foods. 

I've recently "discovered" sweet potato and absolutely love it roasted (cut into slices and sprinkled with herbs).  Also, I know there are foods commonly considered "healthy" which actually have a lot of sugar or additives (many yoghurts for instance).

So what foods do others consider healthy?

veronaz:
I tend to think of fresh fruits and green, leafy vegetables as being healthy.  However, I think “healthy” has a lot to do with preparation.  For example, I prefer to avoid fried foods or foods with a lot of coating.  A potato is a vegetable, but if it’s mashed and smothered with butter and gravy it’s not healthy.  I know someone who thinks she eats healthy because she eats lots of salads, but she literally drowns her salads with creamy dressings (ranch, etc.).  Chicken and fish can be healthy, but not when fried or with the skin on.

Carotte:
I mostly think the less processed or changed the more healthy , and like Veronaz said, it's mostly a matter of preparation.
And a good healthy diet doesn't mean you won't see the sight of a cake for the rest of you life, it means you'll only have one piece every once in a while, and if you can favour something made with healthier ingredients it's even better (no trans-fat, no 5 types of sugar...).
Weird ingredients lurk in even the most innocuous food, here a major brand of canned vegetables (Green Giant) boast that one of their type of canned corn doesn't have sugar added   :o ::), duh, and also  >:(, because for them, unless they tell you there's no sugar, you can bet there's sugar (other brands at least don't do that and don't put sugar to start with).

camlan:
What I've sorted out for myself:

Eat a variety of colors in a day. If I have carrot sticks (orange) for lunch, I'll have broccoli (green) or eggplant (purple) for dinner.

Try to have a raw vegetable daily.

Try to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily, but don't worry too much about how many of each.

Vary the starches. Bread for lunch? Then rice or potatoes for dinner.

Vary the protein. Beef one day, chicken the next, legumes the following day.

Eat the least processed ingredients possible. In my area, that means canned tomatoes and some frozen vegetables in the winter, but that's still better than Ramen noodles or Hot Pockets.

There are no good foods or bad foods. But there are "daily foods" and "treats." Cookies, cake, fried foods=treats. I try to limit treats to 2-3 times a week.

Chocolate is good for you. One small piece of dark chocolate a day keeps the blues away.

BigBadBetty:
I think in general it means eating food close to how it is found in nature.

I think it varies for different people. What I is healthy for me, may not be work for everyone. I ate vegan, whole food, low fat diet for about a month. My skin looked so much better, but I really missed cheese. I am now trying to figure out what my dairy limit is for my skin. I have no problem with wheat, but I know a lot of people have troubles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version