Author Topic: And now my Dad's the unhappy one  (Read 2521 times)

christmascarol

And now my Dad's the unhappy one
« on: September 30, 2013, 04:07:03 AM »
I posted in another thread, with update, about my aunt's relative's cash-grab wedding invite.  And now my Dad's got one and he's almost speechless with shock.

He received the invite last week, B list guest as he's only invited to the evening do, (not unusual in the UK).  The invite was printed on the front and on the BACK of the same card was a `cutesy´ poem asking, (no asking's wrong), stating their need for money for the honeymoon as their wedding gift.  My father'd never heard of asking for money before and insisted on reading the poem in full to me, he was so affronted.   I told him how it could get worse - my aunt's relative included a fancy bag for the `gift´- and he was amazed.

The good news is that he thinks ehell sounds wonderful :-)  And the word gimmeepig is now a favourite.   But I can't get over how they're hitting up the guests who aren't even invited to the actual wedding, just a booze-up in the evening.  Probably a cash bar, almost certainly no food, very little to do with the happy couple.  Just a glorified cash machine.

Ah well, I suppose they were ecologically friendly - less trees died to serve their wedding.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: And now my Dad's the unhappy one
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:15:09 AM »
Dearie me- so they didn't even bother to put it on an insert!
NE England

BeagleMommy

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
Tacky!  No other word for it.  Just tacky!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »
I blame reality tv for these couples thinking they have to have the biggest and best of everything for their day and it is their friends and families responsibility to provide it.  So far this kind of gimmiepiggyness has not touched my family yet, but I have one relative I am sure will pull something like this.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
In the words of the delightful George Takei, "Oh my!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata