Author Topic: How would you feel about 2nd Prize?  (Read 4733 times)

Lynn2000

Re: How would you feel about 2nd Prize?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 03:52:56 PM »
I think it's not good to look at it as "second prize." You have a position--for a two-month contract--which you think B is the best candidate for, so you are offering this position to B. I would, as you say, be completely upfront about the fact that it will only last two months. If there are other benefits to the position, such as being on the list of internal candidates for new positions instead of external, you can mention those. Again, I would keep things straightforward, and not sound apologetic or like B "ought" to be insulted by the offer. As much as possible, think of the things A and B are doing as two totally different positions--you're going with A for position 1, but you think B would be best for position 2, if they want it.

And then let B decide how they feel about it. Maybe it's worth it to B, maybe it isn't. But, I mean, you didn't make up position 2 because you felt sorry for B and wanted to throw them a bone, right? You have a legitimate need. A isn't going to cut it in position 2. B at least has the possibility of doing it. So I would just ask. :)
~Lynn2000

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »
I would make the offer but just spin it not as 2nd prize.  Present it as a situation where 2 candidates really impressed the company, which would ideally hire both but can't.  Say that although the company wishes it could bring this exciting candidate in permanently, at this time what can be offered is 2 months work.

For the unemployed person, this is an opportunity.  Sure, it's also a bit of a disappointment as she didn't get the job she applied for, but some money, extra experience, perhaps some new references, etc.  are good things.  Also, it puts her in a better position with this place if something happens and there's an opening. 

If it's framed right, it is not insulting to the applicant.  Also, she might really need to get back to work, and perhaps she can't afford the luxury of hurt feelings and feeling insulted.  It would be awful if, under the kind motivation of not insulting her, she were denied income she needs. 

The employer could use her for the short-term.  In the industry people do take short term positions; it isn't unheard of.  Leave it up to her as to how delicate her feelings are.  She might instead feel happy that she did well in the application process and is getting some work.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 11:51:50 PM »
Think of it as a completely separate and unrelated job to the one B applied for, one which happens to be doing many of the same tasks but is a temp position.  And spin it that way - "We opted to go with someone else for the position, but there's something open here for two months which would involve the same skillset, if you're interested."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 12:05:58 AM »
I would proabably take it, even knowing that it may be short term.

I know you are interested in me, and I would see it as getting my foot in the door and then proving my worth.

A lot of chosen careers are kind of derailed and turn out for the best anyway.

EllenS

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Think of it as a completely separate and unrelated job to the one B applied for, one which happens to be doing many of the same tasks but is a temp position.  And spin it that way - "We opted to go with someone else for the position, but there's something open here for two months which would involve the same skillset, if you're interested."

POD.

You have 2 positions to fill.  One starts in January and is permanent.  One starts now and is short-term.  I would do everything possible to avoid mentioning the job you are NOT offering her, and instead talk about how she impressed you as a valuable person for the team, and would she be interested in this other position?  If she asks about the permanent job, I would minimize that as being about "finding the right fit", but you thought this other position might be a better fit for her.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »

POD.

You have 2 positions to fill.  One starts in January and is permanent.  One starts now and is short-term.  I would do everything possible to avoid mentioning the job you are NOT offering her, and instead talk about how she impressed you as a valuable person for the team, and would she be interested in this other position?  If she asks about the permanent job, I would minimize that as being about "finding the right fit", but you thought this other position might be a better fit for her.

Personally, I wouldn't like hearing it like this.  I would much prefer the straight truth:  You impressed us in the interview; however, we hired another candidate who impressed us just that little bit more.  Unfortunately for us, candidate is unable to start until [date].  Would you consider filling the position on a contract basis until then?

It would piss me off to find out after the fact that my fantastic contract opportunity was actually the job I applied for but didn't get.  I'd feel like I was lied to and would be less enthused about working for the company in the future because of the deception.

I would like to have all the facts going in.  I know that the contract is all I'm getting unless another opportunity in the company arises and there is no chance of the contract going permanent unless something happens with the first candidate.  And I'd be continuing to job search.  I would negotiate time off for interviews in order to accept the contract, for example.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »

Don't you think Candidate B would immediately recognize that her duties in this "new" position are exactly the same as the duties would have been in the position she initially applied for?  And that her position would terminate just exactly at the same time Candidate A appeared on the scene? 

I don't see any advantage at all in trying to pretend they're actually two different jobs with different sets of qualifiers.  Unless she's dumb as a box of rocks, she's going to see right through that and the fact that the company didn't think she would, would in turn make me think the company was trying to play 'tricks' and wouldn't exactly impress me in a positive manner. 

If I were Candidate B, I'd rather be told the truth and go from there.

EllenS

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
Sorry, I was not clear in what I meant.  I didn't mean trying to make Candidate B think they are different job duties, just to treat the openings differently.  The company has 2 needs, but they are divided by timeframe, not by job duties.

I get where folks are coming from about honesty- you especially wouldn't want to give the impression the contract could go permanent.

I just meant that harping on how she was ALMOST good enough to be hired permanently, is unnecessary and kindof insulting.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »
^^^  Yes, I agree with that.

They're basically saying to her, "You weren't quite good enough to get the real job, but since our first choice can't come aboard right away, would you be interested in doing the job just for a couple of months until our first choice can start?"  Yeah, I think that would be kind of a bummer unless there was some hope for her to get something out of it after the person they really wanted finally arrived on the scene.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 03:40:01 PM »
It wouldn't bother me to know I was second in the interview.  Sure, I'd be disappointed that I didn't get the job but at least I now know that I interview well and have the required skills.

I remember when I was looking for my first job when I got out of university.  I had studied for an interview really hard and then didn't hear about the job.  My brother suggested I call and get an interview debrief.  It was a great relief to me to know that I was second in the interview.  I now knew that I was coming across well and I would eventually win an interview.  Which I did.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »

I can see how a lot of people would be pretty peeved at it - they're not good enough for the real job, but they're good enough to fill in until the real employee starts work.

However, I can see a lot of people being delighted at  two months extra salary, and something to fill in a gap on their resumes, and a chance to impress the employer with their work. Plus, if the 'real' employee backs out in the two months, they're right there to fill in.

So I'd make the offer, and not worry about how the person reacts to it. But I might make a note while offering that if they need to arrange time off for other interviews, that would be happily accommodated.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »
I would have happily taken it, and then busted my butt so that the first choice could never measure up to the wonderfulness of me.  It would be a no lose situation for me.  I would have a good recent reference, and I would still be able to look for work and still have a shorter start time than anyone else working.  If another position opened up in your company, I would know that I had a good shot at it (or that position if choice A left). 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »
I would have happily taken it, and then busted my butt so that the first choice could never measure up to the wonderfulness of me. It would be a no lose situation for me.  I would have a good recent reference, and I would still be able to look for work and still have a shorter start time than anyone else working.  If another position opened up in your company, I would know that I had a good shot at it (or that position if choice A left).

Love it!!   ;D  That bubbling over self confidence would serve you well.  I'm sure that with that attitude, you'd own the company in five years! 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 09:07:43 PM »
I would have happily taken it, and then busted my butt so that the first choice could never measure up to the wonderfulness of me.  It would be a no lose situation for me.  I would have a good recent reference, and I would still be able to look for work and still have a shorter start time than anyone else working.  If another position opened up in your company, I would know that I had a good shot at it (or that position if choice A left). 

Threadjack

I just wanted to say thank you for this comment.  I got offered a small consulting job after being passed over for a larger contract.  I've been hesitating to accept because I thought that I wouldn't want to work with someone who got the job I wanted.  But now I'm looking at it as an opportunity to show off my skills and my company in the best light possible.  So thanks Sophia
/threadjack