Author Topic: How do you deal with a backstabbing boss?  (Read 5278 times)

The Wild One, Forever

Re: How do you deal with a backstabbing boss?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
This is where the term CYA comes in. Its always a good idea, but especially so in this kind of environment, to keep a trail of everything. Write emails instead of phone calls, or if you must phone, follow up with a "just to recap our conversation..." email. This way when the poop hits the fan, you can refer back to notes, emails, receipts, etc and back yourself up.

Its also a good idea, in general, but again especially in this kind of environment, to be proactive when yu do mess up. As soon as you notice your own mistake, own up to it, apologize and if you can offer a solution. This way you will have a reputation of not being the kind of person who says "it wasn't me!" so when it really isn't you, and you are presenting your evidence (the CYA trail) people are even more inclined to believe you.

I wholeheartedly agree, on both key points.

I make sure to communicate by email, and will follow up a phone conversation or an in-person one with an email recapping the content of the conversation. 

Owning up to one's errors is crucial for so many reasons, not the least of them being what Willy Nilly describes.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Kari

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »
I have a boss who has a bad habit of giving orders, and when they go awry, completely disavows ever giving the orders. "I never said that" is a pet phrase of hers. Now everyone communicates through email and CC's at least one other person on things. I also keep a series of spreadsheets that tracks projects in different ways and give her daily updates so I can point out problems before they arise. It feels rather like I'm babying her, but my coworkers and myself have had to deal with the fact that she will never keep track of things on her own and pretty much needs flashcards to keep up. She still loves to address each problem by hunting down who's to blame, but at least now we have a paper trail and can head more problems off before they have a chance of happening. Also, by taking on a lot of her responsibilities, I have developed shiny new skills with which to pad my resume!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
I have a boss who has a bad habit of giving orders, and when they go awry, completely disavows ever giving the orders. "I never said that" is a pet phrase of hers. Now everyone communicates through email and CC's at least one other person on things. I also keep a series of spreadsheets that tracks projects in different ways and give her daily updates so I can point out problems before they arise. It feels rather like I'm babying her, but my coworkers and myself have had to deal with the fact that she will never keep track of things on her own and pretty much needs flashcards to keep up. She still loves to address each problem by hunting down who's to blame, but at least now we have a paper trail and can head more problems off before they have a chance of happening. Also, by taking on a lot of her responsibilities, I have developed shiny new skills with which to pad my resume!

It's funny, you'd think she'd realize she was training you to do her job.  Diety help you if she figures it out. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
It's also smart to make allies outside the department.

heathert

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 12:40:30 PM »

Wow, this is a better idea.  I appreciate the "status report" idea but you have to take into consideration where I work our supervisor get tons of emails already and probably would not want anymore. They really wouldn't want or need a weekly status report because we have computer systems (I work in a call center) that automatically give our supervisors the stats that are considered important, such as attendance, calls taken, etc., but if there is a question on process exceptions, that is when we have to get clarification. 

My only complaint is that sometimes you get different answers from different supervisors.

Margo

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »
A backstabbing boss is a nightmare.

As others have said, good record keeping is absolutely essential - I used to make detailed notes of meetings with my backstabbing boss which were filed on the relelvent files in the same way as meetings with the client or third parties were (not foll proof, but hard to eradicate completely)

I also found (with a boss who wouldn't respond / male decisions) that an e-mail that said in effect "This is what I intend to do unless I hear from you that you want me to do something different by [time]" was useful.

Also, stay very calm and professional (my backstabbing boss would lie about whether he had been consulted / what he had said , and would also bully people until they snapped and shouted back at them, and would then discipline them as if they had shouted at him unprovoked...

Unless you have supportive management and colleagues the only way to deal is to find a different job, unfortunately. Sadly, this kind of person often has a non-existant, or uninterested boss who is not prepared to address the problem (When I left the job I had with a back-stabbing boss, I wrote to the senior partner explaining why I had left, how this person had treated me and other members of staff. I never received a response, or even any acknowledement. They were not interested at all in how that part of the business was being run.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »

Sadly, this kind of person often has a non-existant, or uninterested boss who is not prepared to address the problem

Or has their boss wrapped around their finger, and/or  the boss's boss completely buffaloed. Not that anybody here has ever seen that, right? /smh