Author Topic: Quick question: With a Groupon for a service, do you tip on top of that?  (Read 2737 times)

GrammarNerd

Re: Quick question: With a Groupon for a service, do you tip on top of that?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:13 AM »
Thanks for all of the opinions.  I just really didn't know!  You hear so much about tipping for this or that, that you (general) just start thinking 'should I tip for that?'

Anyway, they cleaner came and I showed him around.  I had to leave, and he was gone by the time that DH got home.  So I guess it was a moot point.  However I will check out the situation tomorrow (after everything has dried a bit more) to see how well the stains came out.  And I can contact him from there if I need to, hopefully to say 'thanks for a great job!'.

browzer11

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »
You do NOT tip carpet cleaners.

Do you tip the guy that changes your oil and filter in your vehicle? Of course not.

Do you tip the repairman that fixes your furnace or refrigerator? No.

The "tipping" concept is out of control.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »

Do you tip the guy that changes your oil and filter in your vehicle? Of course not.

I agree. Tipping for people who get paid a living wage for their jobs without tips is unnecessary, and even a bit patronizing.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 11:23:54 PM »
When I had my car detailed, and paid with a credit card, the machine gave a option to add a tip. I was a little surprised. It would not have occurred to me to tip for this service, it cost enough already, and I never actually met the people who did the actual cleaning, but this line on the credit card machine made me wonder if I was "supposed" to. But I usually just tip servers, people who do personal body services (hair, nails), and movers (as I feel awful watching them sweat as they haul my heavy, awkward furniture around).

But as for the OP's question, I agree that if it's a service that is normally tipped, you do tip on the pre-discounted price, as with any coupon.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »

I agree. Tipping for people who get paid a living wage for their jobs without tips is unnecessary, and even a bit patronizing.

I couldn't agree more.

miranova

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 09:35:16 PM »
I would not tip a carpet cleaner.

Oh Joy

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
FWIW - I do usually tip my carpet cleaners, depending on their service.  For example, I like when they:
* Move small things out of the way to clean under, or take the effort to reach a bit under the edges of furniture
* Are careful to not leave uncarpeted areas (entry, hallway, etc.) wet from shoes or hoses
* Quickly run over a spot in an area I'm not paying to have cleaned
* Are tolerant and safe around my kids.

If they only do acceptable service, I don't tip.  Otherwise, I'm glad to thank them and 'buy' them a cup of coffee or lunch.