Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Doggie bags at dinner parties - today's Dear Abby

<< < (9/10) > >>

CakeEater:

--- Quote from: Katana_Geldar on October 07, 2013, 07:33:08 PM ---Wouldn't being asked for leftovers be a complement to your cooking?

--- End quote ---

Sure, I'm glad you liked the food. Eat your fill. But that doesn't mean you can ask to take the rest home.

People compliment furniture and artworks and serving platters too - doesn't mean you get to ask to take them home with you. They're mine - just like any food that's left over after we've all eaten our dinner.

If I buy 6 bread rolls for our meal, knowing that I like those bread rolls for lunch as well, and deliberately buying more than I think we'll eat at dinner, a guest desn't get to ask for the rest for their lunch tomorrow. They're mine. I bought extra to eat for my lunch tomorrow.

Figgie:
If the hostess wants you to take home leftovers, they will offer their guests the leftovers.  If the hostess says nothing about giving out the leftovers, then I think it sounds fairly greedy to ask for them.

Complimenting me on the food, telling me how much you enjoyed the evening, eating large servings of the food that I have cooked/baked is all the way that a good guest lets their hostess know how much they appreciated everything.  Asking for leftovers doesn't leave me feeling like I was complimented...more like the person saw my home as a restaurant.

And I save cottage cheese and other food containers because I always offer at family meals for my extended family to take food home with them and this way I don't need the containers back. :) 

The key is that I am the one making the offer.  No one is asking me for the food.  They wait until I offer and then happily help me fill out the containers with the food that they chose.

SoCalVal:

--- Quote from: Figgie on October 08, 2013, 02:06:35 PM ---And I save cottage cheese and other food containers because I always offer at family meals for my extended family to take food home with them and this way I don't need the containers back. :)

--- End quote ---

A friend I have posted about here many times once had a little hissy fit about these.  See, I do the same thing.  I will send guests home with containers I don't care about because I don't expect to get them back.  This friend, in my younger years, used to get containers I wanted to keep all the time but would never bring them back.  I learned to give him containers I didn't care about getting back (a few times when I'd been at his place, I would comment about wanting them back and he'd say, sometimes jokingly but usually not, "They are mine now.".  One evening, after he'd dined with then-DF and me, I was packing up food, and Friend commented about me getting back the containers.

Me:  "Oh, I'm not worried about it.  You're getting these because I don't expect to get them back."
Friend:  "I always give them back."
Me:  "No, you don't; you never do.  Don't worry about it, though, because you're getting these that I don't care about getting back because you don't give them back."
Friend:   >:(

The next time I saw him, he gave me back not only the containers I just sent home with him but as many of the others he'd never given back as he could find.  He then had the nerve to say I couldn't have a cow anymore about him not giving back the containers.  I repeated my stance, "I wasn't the one having a problem or else I would've said something a long time ago.  *You* were the one who claimed you always give them back; if you'd always given them back, then you wouldn't have had these."  Him again --  >:(  Frankly, I didn't care.  I hate it when people make claims about being so good at ___________ when it's the exact opposite -- oh, and accusing me of doing what they are guilty of, not me.

BarensMom:

--- Quote from: SoCalVal on October 06, 2013, 10:55:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tea Drinker on October 06, 2013, 09:58:54 PM ---SoCalVal--

OT: Where is Apple Hill, and what rare varieties are you getting there?

I'm missing the farmer's market in my old neighborhood in New York, which probably had about 15 varieties of apples yesterday and goes down to five or so in the depths of winter. But one of the farms there is primarily an apple orchard (they have a few kinds of pear as well), with heirloom varieties, and a few that are common in the Northeast but not out west, such as Cortlandt, along with the Gala and Granny Smith and Delicious.

--- End quote ---

Apple Hill is in Camino, which is in El Dorado County in Northern California.

I'm not sure about the rarity of the varieties, but I know I never see them in any grocery stores (or farmers markets -- not even in SF) -- Empire, Rome, Winesap, Mutsu, Arkansas Black, McIntosh and Jonathon.  They also have ones I find pretty easily -- Braeburn, Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Pink Lady and Red Delicious.

My favorite rare ones are Winesap and Arkansas Black, neither of which were available yet this year because we went too early in the season.  Next year, we'll go just before Halloween (which is what we did last year unintentionally).  One of those two take a couple of weeks to come to full flavor but, WOW, when they did, I was in heaven! (I think it was the Winesaps but, after looking at the list, it just as easily could've been the Arkansas Blacks).  It's been quite a blessing to live close to areas that offer the opportunity to go directly to the growers' farms (we picked peaches over the summer in another county; they were FABULOUS -- and I never knew there were so many varieties of those either).

Sorry for the threadjack, y'all!

--- End quote ---

Don't forget the orchards along the Gravenstein Highway up in Sonoma County.

blue2000:

--- Quote from: BarensMom on October 10, 2013, 08:20:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: SoCalVal on October 06, 2013, 10:55:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tea Drinker on October 06, 2013, 09:58:54 PM ---SoCalVal--

OT: Where is Apple Hill, and what rare varieties are you getting there?

I'm missing the farmer's market in my old neighborhood in New York, which probably had about 15 varieties of apples yesterday and goes down to five or so in the depths of winter. But one of the farms there is primarily an apple orchard (they have a few kinds of pear as well), with heirloom varieties, and a few that are common in the Northeast but not out west, such as Cortlandt, along with the Gala and Granny Smith and Delicious.

--- End quote ---

Apple Hill is in Camino, which is in El Dorado County in Northern California.

I'm not sure about the rarity of the varieties, but I know I never see them in any grocery stores (or farmers markets -- not even in SF) -- Empire, Rome, Winesap, Mutsu, Arkansas Black, McIntosh and Jonathon.  They also have ones I find pretty easily -- Braeburn, Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Pink Lady and Red Delicious.

My favorite rare ones are Winesap and Arkansas Black, neither of which were available yet this year because we went too early in the season.  Next year, we'll go just before Halloween (which is what we did last year unintentionally).  One of those two take a couple of weeks to come to full flavor but, WOW, when they did, I was in heaven! (I think it was the Winesaps but, after looking at the list, it just as easily could've been the Arkansas Blacks).  It's been quite a blessing to live close to areas that offer the opportunity to go directly to the growers' farms (we picked peaches over the summer in another county; they were FABULOUS -- and I never knew there were so many varieties of those either).

Sorry for the threadjack, y'all!

--- End quote ---

Don't forget the orchards along the Gravenstein Highway up in Sonoma County.

--- End quote ---

It must depend on the orchards in the area. You can get Macintosh just about anywhere in southern Ontario (they are my favourite!) I've also seen Empire and on occasion, Mutsu.

OTOH, we used to have Cortlands, but I haven't seen them for years. And my grandmother apparently made her apple pies with Tallman Sweets, but I've never seen them anywhere.

Back on topic  - I've asked immediate family about leftovers from Christmas dinner, etc. Not anyone else. It would feel very odd to tell someone I want a container for lunch tomorrow as well - almost as if their offer of dinner wasn't enough. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version