News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 08:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's with the rule about not taking the last piece of something?  (Read 9623 times)

MeanMom

Re: What's with the rule about not taking the last piece of something?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 04:23:38 PM »
So I shouldn't dive for the last brownie, knocking over all in my way and snarfing it down while cackling loudly and finish by rolling around in the crumbs just to rub it in? ;)

(I like brownies.)

Ice tea is not good for the sinuses and now my monitor needs a wipe.
:-)

G'sMom

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 04:33:43 PM »
You have to leave it for Miss Manners!   ;D

So here is the thing...

There is one piece of chicken left, and you have a guest.  You must offer it to the guest, WITHOUT noting that it is the last.  "Oh, Friend, won't you have some chicken?" (also, not some "more" chicken as that indicates they could be overeating.)

It is family only at dinner.  Sammy wants the last piece.  Sammy asks, "Would anyone else like the chicken?"  Jimmy would also like some and notes that it is the last piece, "Yes, Sammy, I'd love some.  Won't you split it with me?"  Of course, you generally have to train children UP to this point.  Otherwise they're prone to take advantage of the rules.

OR, in family only dinners you can indicate that children who clear the table and do the dishes are welcome to enjoy any leftovers in the kitchen.

If someone needs the ref for these please ask and I'll look it up at home (it's in Miss Manner's Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behaviour in the dinners section.)

I thought I was the only person alive who remembered that!  ;D   As I was reading and saw the post about who is it being saved for I said out loud "Miss Manners!" and scrolled to your post.  That was great!

G'sMom

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 04:37:15 PM »
So I shouldn't dive for the last brownie, knocking over all in my way and snarfing it down while cackling loudly and finish by rolling around in the crumbs just to rub it in? ;)

(I like brownies.)

uh nooooooo. jeesh,  ::) I have to show everyone everything.  You are supposed to scratch your nose whilst saying "I'll be glad when this post nasal drip is gone..." and grab the brownie and hold it aloft as you offer it to others "Anyone want this last brownie? I'm going to wash the dish for *maker of the brownies* ?"   >:D 
You get points for offering it to others, points for offering to clean the dish, and then you get to reap the rewards of the last brownie when everyone retreats from it. "Well, I hate to see it go to waste.." and you get points for not wasting food.  All called "Brownie Points"   ;)

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 04:46:38 PM »

(I like brownies.)

uh nooooooo. jeesh,  ::) I have to show everyone everything.  You are supposed to scratch your nose whilst saying "I'll be glad when this post nasal drip is gone..." and grab the brownie and hold it aloft as you offer it to others "Anyone want this last brownie? I'm going to wash the dish for *maker of the brownies* ?"   >:D 
You get points for offering it to others, points for offering to clean the dish, and then you get to reap the rewards of the last brownie when everyone retreats from it. "Well, I hate to see it go to waste.." and you get points for not wasting food.  All called "Brownie Points"   ;)

This only works with adults and not teenage boys. DH tried this trick (he was trying to be polite) when we had one brownie left and found he had 8 teenage boys instantly there wanting it. They were even willing to each take one bite and pass it to the next person till it gone.

G'sMom

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 04:53:02 PM »

(I like brownies.)

This only works with adults and not teenage boys. DH tried this trick (he was trying to be polite) when we had one brownie left and found he had 8 teenage boys instantly there wanting it. They were even willing to each take one bite and pass it to the next person till it gone.

I could see the actual wrestling over the brownie with teenage boys as well (or premenstrual women!). I was offering my helpful tidbit of advice in terms of "polite/rational society"  (polite referring to the teens and rational referring to the pms women)  ;)

BittyB

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 09:26:58 PM »

I thought I was the only person alive who remembered that!  ;D   As I was reading and saw the post about who is it being saved for I said out loud "Miss Manners!" and scrolled to your post.  That was great!

Hee!  It's in her book, but it rang a bell when I read it there too. 

Texas Mom

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:48:52 PM »
One time I brought cookies in to my office.  Most disappeared quickly, but the last one sat on the plate for quite a long time.  Finally, someone took the last cookie -- and someone (not me ;)) had put a note under it "You pig, you took the last cookie!"

rofl

G'sMom

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 07:09:52 AM »

Hee!  It's in her book, but it rang a bell when I read it there too. 

I remember it growing up and again in her book (I have it too! Along with Guide to the Turn of the Millennium")  great reading! :)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 03:00:55 AM »
I agree that it's a strange rule, but I still follow it, unless I'm in a very large group (or it's my Aunt's Lithuanian sausage and sauerkraut, which sits next to me on the table during Christmas dinner and only gets passed if there's more than half the pot left  >:D ).  I have the opposite problem at home.  I've finally trained BF and roommate to not finish things (this goes for all groceries, not just dinners), because I tend to eat special items much more sparingly than them.  So now, this leads to me bringing home a carton of ice cream, eating a small scoop that night, leaving it in the freezer for a few days, and finding that single last scoop carefully left behind for me when I go for more :)

They're learning, at least....