Author Topic: Dog brushing rude?  (Read 4764 times)

lkl492

Dog brushing rude?
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »
This question is in regards to a conversation I recently had with a friend.

Friend has a therapy dog - a Great Pyrenees, which is like a white Golden Retriever in terms of its coat.  On weekends he takes the dog to a children's hospital, does hospice visits, and also conducts dog training sessions.  Since the dog is allowed in the hospital she is obviously kept meticulously groomed.

One day Friend was leaving one appointment (a dog training in a residential neighborhood) and had extra time before going to the next appointment.  His vehicle was parked out on the street.  Because he had a few minutes to kill he decided to walk the dog and brush her a bit. 

A man came out of his house down the street and began walking toward them.  He began yelling at Friend that he knows that Friend does not live in this neighborhood so he should stop brushing the dog in his neighborhood or he was going to call the police.

So Friend asked me if that would bother me... to see someone brushing a dog on the sidewalk.  Personally I'm allergic to dogs, but unless there's a cloud of fur swirling around my head it would never occur to me to be offended.  And again, we're not talking about a dog that's being brushed for the first time in a year so I doubt there was a ton of fur flying around.

Weird topic... I know.  But would you:

a)  be offended?
b)  be offended enough to threaten to call the police?

Tea Drinker

Re: Dog brushing rude?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »
That's weird to the point that I suspect your friend caught the flak from some kind of ongoing argument: maybe Excited Man is allergic, or his drains keep clogging, and he has been trying without success to get his neighbors not to leave dog hair around.

Yes, large clumps of dog hair can look weird on a nice green lawn, but that hair is nest-lining material for birds in spring and squirrels in the fall. Hm. Maybe he has been trying to get rid of squirrels?

(I'm guessing the ongoing-argument-with-neighbors because otherwise most people might shout, so as not to get close, but they'd be more likely to start with something like "Hey! Don't brush your dog here, my kid has asthma" rather than starting with the threat to call the police.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

SiotehCat

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:34:47 PM »
Yes I do think your friend was rude. Great Pyrs are much thicker than Golden Retrievers. The amount of hair that you can get from just a few minutes of brushing is often enough to fill a pillow case.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:39:47 PM »
Friend was not rude..he wasn't on this man's property (the man had to walk down the street to get to your friend).  Also, while some hair may fluff around, because of the work this man does with this dog I am assuming he would not just let go of the clumps in the brush and if he did, birds and squirrels loves it for nesting (my dog is a bird favorite in the neighborhood for her poofs of fur).  I think this guy is most likely the neighborhood nut.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 06:43:15 PM »
I'm not sure if its rude, but I can say it would bug me because I would think its gross. I don't see why pet grooming in public is different then human grooming in public. Its gross when people clip their nails in public and its gross when people brush hair letting off clumps into the world. Unless your friend was next to a garbage can and was properly disposing of the hair, I would be bothered.

silvercelt

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
No, your friend was not rude.  At all.

lkl492

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
I guess I could see the correlation to human grooming and finding it annoying, but not "Cut that out or I'll call the cops" annoying.   ;)

I figured there would be a variety of responses because it's just something that's never crossed my mind before.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »
Not rude if he was on a public sidewalk.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 07:39:16 PM »
I'm not sure if your friend was bagging the fur or letting it fly around. 

If the fur is going onto someone else's lawn and making a mess, I can see how it could be considered rude.  I had a Golden (who isn't even as fluffy as a Pyrenees) and she could generate a *lot* of fur.  We always made sure to keep the majority of it in a bag for the compost, if we were near a neighbour's yard.  It wouldn't bother me, personally, if dog fur got on my property, but lawn care can be a pretty touchy subject. 

If the dog owner was bagging the fur I can't see how it could be considered rude at all.  And even if he was letting the fur fly all over, the man was still completely overreacting.  I could see starting with a friendly "Excuse me, can you please clean up the fur when you're finished?"

flickan

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »
This breed produces enough shed that I can see how someone might be concerned about the fur clumps on their lawn.

But I think this was a big overreaction.  Especially since the concern voiced was that he didn't live in the neighborhood and therefore shouldn't brush his dog in that neighborhood.  That's absurd, even from someone who may be allergic.  Dog fur gets around outside.  It's just a fact of being outdoors; people walk their dogs, people put their dogs in the yard to run, and the dogs shed outside.  I have to think that this person maybe was afraid of the dog or had a problem with dogs in general and didn't like seeing a strange dog being so familiar in the area that the owner was brushing the dog.

ebelie

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 08:11:16 PM »
The guy completely overreacted.  He was rude and his behaviour was uncalled for.

But, I don't think I'd groom my dog in a public place, and I don't have a Great Pyrenees.  I do have a german shepherd, and the amount of fur she manages to shed, particularly in Spring and Autumn, is just amazing.  Our back yard gets covered in it every time we pull out the brush.  I'd imagine it would be much worse with a GP - we have a couple in our neighbourhood and yes, they're like a golden retriever but x3, both in size and coat thickness. 

Leaving clumps of hair to float around the streets just doesn't seem like thoughtful behaviour.

BarensMom

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »
I think it can be rude to brush your dog in a public - it depends upon the kind of brushing.  Doing a full-on brush out, yes, just a light touch-up brush, not so much.

Baren produces enough fur in a month to make a whole 'nother dog, so we brush him at home or have the groomer do it.  That being said, I have washed and brushed him in public, but in our own front yard.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:04:14 AM by BarensMom »

Poppea

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:51 PM »
Wouldn't this be littering?  If your friend was planning to pick up and dispose of the dog hair properly then it would not be rude, but if he was letting it fly all over other people's property - yeah it would be rude.

delabela

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »
I thought this was going to be about brushing a dog in some public building and was prepared to declare it rude.  However, outside on a public sidewalk?  Nope.  Considering all the other things dogs may do on a public sidewalk, brushing is fine by me.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
It depends.  What was he doing with the hair he was brushing from the dog?  If your friend was just throwing it in the street, then yes, I would be upset.  If he was putting it into a trash bag that he planned to take home with him and dispose of said hair, I would not have a problem with that.

I have dogs that I brush, although at home, but I put the hair in the trash.  I would never just let it blow in the wind, so to speak and get into my neighbor's yards.