Author Topic: Dog brushing rude?  (Read 4795 times)

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Re: Dog brushing rude?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »
I doubt this would even register on my radar to be honest. If I was outside walking in the area, so long as they weren't hogging the entire footpath, I'd probably not think too much about it.

But rude or not, the man's threat to call the police was a ridiculous overreaction, not to mention a waste of the police's time if they did turn up.

Need to Change

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 02:19:32 AM »
We once had a Northern-mix dog who, when he "blew coat," he BLEW!  We're talking a whole new dogful of fur every week.  (While shedding, he looked horribly scruffy.  After shedding season, he'd look like a totally different -- and incredibly elegant -- dog.  People would ask, in all seriousness, what happened to our "other dog.") 

When he was shedding, tufts would literally pop up as we walked, so, at times, we would, in fact, brush him while we were on the go (as well as daily, at home).  But we never let fur fly about, nor did we trespass on other folks' property, nor did we stand in anyone's way.  No one ever called us on it, let alone threaten police action!  I'd say, Dog Brushers -- Not Rude.  Complaining Man -- Waaaaayyyy Over the Top.

Eden

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »
I don't think it was rude to brush the dog. Again unless your friend was letting large tufts fly into people's yards. In your friend's shoes I'd probably have said it didn't seem like a good use of police time but that the man was free to call them if he wished.

z_squared82

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »
I do not think it was rude. It might have been nicer to do it in a public park, but if there isn't a park, there isn't a park. What kind of person runs down the street to yell at someone on a sidewalk? Neighborhood nut.

My aunt and uncle owned an Akita. She shed like mad. They'd brush her outside, on their driveway, and let the hair go wherever (usually ended up in their yard or the gutter). It looked weird, but it didn't occur to me (who is allergic to dogs) that it was any worse than cottonwood trees or milk weed.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
I can see the guys reaction *IF* he thought that she may have been someone casing the neighborhood.

It is amazing what strange things crooks do to seem innocent while at the same time looking around to see who is home, who is not. Who pays attention to what is going on, who doesn’t.  I was amazed at the last crime prevention class I was at, walking dogs in the neighborhood, door-to-door sales, and other seeming normal activities are all used by crooks.

lowspark

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
I doubt this would even register on my radar to be honest. If I was outside walking in the area, so long as they weren't hogging the entire footpath, I'd probably not think too much about it.

But rude or not, the man's threat to call the police was a ridiculous overreaction, not to mention a waste of the police's time if they did turn up.

This.  I wouldn't even really notice much about it unless it was creating some kind of a huge mess which you are saying it didn't.

And, really, call the police? "There's a man brushing his dog here, come arrest him." Ummm... yeah, we'll send someone out alright, but it's going to be men in white coats and it won't be the dog brusher they'll be coming for.

Sorry, but I can't imagine it's against the law to brush your dog even if it could be interpreted as rude.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
He is worried about dog fur?  Outside? 
She wasn't littering anymore than tree shedding its leaves is littering. 

sweetonsno

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »
I can see the guys reaction *IF* he thought that she may have been someone casing the neighborhood.

It is amazing what strange things crooks do to seem innocent while at the same time looking around to see who is home, who is not. Who pays attention to what is going on, who doesn’t.  I was amazed at the last crime prevention class I was at, walking dogs in the neighborhood, door-to-door sales, and other seeming normal activities are all used by crooks.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Chances are that it was less the brushing and more the unfamiliar person planting himself in the neighborhood. The guy probably would have also been suspicious if your friend had arrived early, parked, and then just sat in the car for several minutes. In small neighborhoods, people generally have a pretty good idea of who "belongs" and who doesn't. An unfamiliar person who seemed like they didn't have a "real" reason to be there would definitely set off alarm bells, especially if there had been any sort of petty crime in the area recently.

I know that if I saw someone loitering outside my house, even if it was down by the sidewalk, I'd probably be a bit concerned. In all honesty, brushing an extra-fluffy dog would look like an excuse to stop.

Poppea

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »
He is worried about dog fur?  Outside? 
She wasn't littering anymore than tree shedding its leaves is littering.

Not quite.  The tree belongs there.  This was more like taking a potted tree and shaking its leaves on the sidewalk, and then putting the tree back in your car.

I wouldn't say anything myself if it was a one time occurance, but I do think its rude.  I also think its really weird to be brushing the dog on the sidewalk.  I have a dog and I brush her in my fenced yard.  I think it would be rude if "I" brushed my dog on the sidewalk in front of my house. 

These dogs shed a lot.  Its not a little bit of fluff.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:34:24 PM by Poppea »

cwm

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
I have a pointer mix, and I can't imagine brushing her inside. She sheds too much, and my mom already has to sweep up a large rodent's worth of hair every week. I'm not adding to that.

My uncle used to have two GPs, and he'd brush them wherever he could. On a walk waiting for the traffic light to cross the street? Out comes the brush, he gets a minute or two of brushing in. Waiting outside a friend's house to take both of them for a walk? He's in the middle of the street brushing one or the other. Any excuse to brush his dog kept the dogs from getting matted fur and kept them looking good at the same time.

If this angry guy came down the street to yell at the dog brusher, that's even sillier. If dog brusher was in his yard, I can see him getting upset. If he's down the street on the sidewalk and not obstructing other traffic along the sidewalk, angry guy doesn't really have a good reason to start complaining. It's silly.

On a side note, I used to work in a dog grooming shop. We had a few therapy dogs come in. The rule is that they have to be bathed and brushed out at least X hours before going into a hospital (depended on the hospital, but usually a 48 hour window). Bathing and blow drying GPs on a regular basis can actually be a cause of tangles and mats in the hair if it's not brushed out well enough. I've seen enough lazy brush-outs that lead to massive mats and the necessity of spot-shaving dogs. It's no fun for anyone. This guy seems like an owner who's willing to put in the work himself to make sure his dog stays in good shape for everyone he visits, and that is honestly much better than I can say for most of the therapy dogs' owners I worked with. Or the regular owners, for that matter.

auntmeegs

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
People that get upset about these kind of things must lead really stressful lives. 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »
My uncle used to have two GPs, and he'd brush them wherever he could. On a walk waiting for the traffic light to cross the street? Out comes the brush, he gets a minute or two of brushing in. Waiting outside a friend's house to take both of them for a walk? He's in the middle of the street brushing one or the other. Any excuse to brush his dog kept the dogs from getting matted fur and kept them looking good at the same time.

I'm guessing your uncle would bag the fur, though, not let it fly around?  I don't see any problem with it as long as the dog owner takes the fur home.

It's easy to do, at least in my experience -- while a little bit might fly away, the majority gets caught in the brush, so I take it out of the brush every 2-3 strokes and put it in a bag.  Nice and neat.  Also it's kind of fun to see how full the bag gets.

OP, do you know whether the dog owner you mention bagged the fur or let it fly?  That makes a difference to me.

NyaChan

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 04:29:20 PM »
If I were the man, I would not have said a word to your friend.  However, if I saw someone doing this on the sidewalk adjacent to my house, despite the fact that the actual sidewalk is public space, I'd be wondering why the heck he is doing it right there by my yard and prefer that he do it somewhere else. 

lkl492

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 06:37:40 PM »

I'm guessing your uncle would bag the fur, though, not let it fly around?  I don't see any problem with it as long as the dog owner takes the fur home.

It's easy to do, at least in my experience -- while a little bit might fly away, the majority gets caught in the brush, so I take it out of the brush every 2-3 strokes and put it in a bag.  Nice and neat.  Also it's kind of fun to see how full the bag gets.

OP, do you know whether the dog owner you mention bagged the fur or let it fly?  That makes a difference to me.

I don't know whether or not he was bagging it.  He didn't mention that.

That said, I've seen this dog more than once.  She is impeccably groomed, so I can't see there being a TON of hair (a pillow case-ful as someone said) coming off of her.  I just googled some pics of GPs and the images that came up seem quite a bit fluffier than Friend's dog so I would guess she's a bit less of a shedder than your typical GP as well.

misha412

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
I would think nothing of seeing someone brushing his dog on the street. It is like seeing someone running a comb or brush through their hair when they are sitting parked on the curb waiting on someone. The only time I could see a problem with it is if the amount of fur is going everywhere like a hair snow storm and its going everywhere.

As for the other guy's reaction, that was way over the top. Threatening to call the police over someone grooming a dog? I know that is a common ploy for thieves casing a neighborhood. But, if the other guy thought the dog owner was doing that, the better option would be to note a description and call the non-emergency police number. Striding down the sidewalk threatening to call the law on a stranger for doing something that is in no way illegal is not really rude, but definitely out of the norm.