Author Topic: Dog brushing rude?  (Read 4850 times)

lkl492

Re: Dog brushing rude?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »
"I know that is a common ploy for thieves casing a neighborhood."

He would have to be a terribly dumb criminal if he were casing a neighborhood since he has the name of his dog training business stenciled across the back windshield of his vehicle.

Still... stranger things have happened  ;)

lkl492

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
Also, I don't think it could be considered littering since it has no negative impact on the environment.  Hair is a natural substance like leaves from trees or feathers from birds.

Poppea

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »
Also, I don't think it could be considered littering since it has no negative impact on the environment.  Hair is a natural substance like leaves from trees or feathers from birds.

Or orange peels.  But if I threw my orange peels on the sidewalk I'd be littering.  Or if a hair salon dumped their cuttings on the sidewalk - its natural so its not litter, right?

Jones

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 08:28:10 AM »
Heh, this story reminded me of the construction site (building now completed) across the street from my office. They always had a dog with them, a lazy looking retriever. One day I was driving to work after lunch and I saw white stuff floating through the air; there were no nearby cottonwood trees and I slowed down to see if I could find the culprit.

One of the guys had the dog laying on the side of the road and was actually shaving it! No bagging (I bag my dogs' hair, whether brushing or shaving) and the hair floated away in the breeze in great white-golden clumps. After I parked and looked back I saw the guy telling the dog to roll over and it happily did as he shaved the other side. This shaving-and-releasing seemed quite over the top, to me!

So, in my perspective, the guy in the OP was absolutely fine. With a well groomed dog there were likely no bunches of hair floating away, it's entirely possible he was bagging up the leavings anyhow. There is no reason for someone to come up the sidewalk to yell at him for taking care of his dog, that I can see.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »
I belong to a Bernese Mountain Dog and get stressed when DH brushes her and lets the fur litter our own yard. 

White Lotus

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with the dog brusher.  I think the complainer was out of line, and one of those unhappy people with little to do.
There are people who will take dog hair, spin it, and knit the resulting yarn into quite lovely things.  I am usually in favor of leaving brushings for the birds, but I can also see some dogs producing far too much for the environment to naturally absorb.  Then clearing it up is good.  But this is a judgment call.  I think having a sweater or blanket made from one's dog's fur is a charming idea, and even better if one does it one's self.

doodlemor

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 04:26:42 PM »
Slight threadjack here.......

I know someone who was given some wolf fur leavings.  She spun them into yarn and made mittens.  Her dog was afraid to be in the same room with those mittens!

Back to thread.......

I think that the amount of dog fur on the loose determines whether the dog guy was rude or not to the homeowners in the immediate vicinity.   However, I think that for someone to come down the street and yell is way over the top.  My mind keeps picturing him yelling at people for all sorts of things that he perceives they are doing to his lawn.

snowdragon

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »
I am of two minds on this. Frankly I don't want to have to pick up after other people's pets - you decided to have one, you take the fall out from it, no matter what that is.

but really screaming at someone for brushing an animal? screaming? I can see asking them to make sure they take the leavings with them - but coming down the street screaming is a bit much.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with the dog brusher.  I think the complainer was out of line, and one of those unhappy people with little to do.
There are people who will take dog hair, spin it, and knit the resulting yarn into quite lovely things.  I am usually in favor of leaving brushings for the birds, but I can also see some dogs producing far too much for the environment to naturally absorb.  Then clearing it up is good.  But this is a judgment call.  I think having a sweater or blanket made from one's dog's fur is a charming idea, and even better if one does it one's self.

My mom has a dog fur hat that is many years old and still warm and cozy.

This wouldn't bother me in the least, unless the dog hair was landing in great clumps in my yard. I vote not rude.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »
Looking at the OP, while the dog and owner didn't live in the neighborhood, they were there to train a dog that did. If the neighbor really objects to that, is he/she willing to take ill-behaved neighborhood dogs as a tradeoff?

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2013, 10:08:25 PM »
People are territorial.  The brusher was near his territory.  He is trying to defend his territory. However he seems to be going too far.