Author Topic: Attire for 'Cocktail Buffet' Wedding Party?  (Read 1296 times)

noydb

Attire for 'Cocktail Buffet' Wedding Party?
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »
We got invited to a wedding celebration party (couple got married by JP a few weeks ago) via a formal invitation which stated "Cocktail Buffet" at the bottom of the invite.  The party is being held at the bride's parent's home in Bethesda (fairly ritzy area of DC for those unfamiliar) starting at 6pm on a Saturday.  What should guests wear?  I was thinking a nice regualr dress that can easily be dressed up with the fabulous custome jewelry that's all the rage these days, heels; hubby in coat and tie but not matching suit.  Or, do you think this maybe calls for a cocktail dress???  Thanks for any guidance!

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Attire for 'Cocktail Buffet' Wedding Party?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:24:08 AM »
I'm thinking "little black dress" type of dress.  Not full length fancy formal dress, but not business casual either.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
The LBD would almost certainly work in a place like Bethesda.   

You could also wear the sort of outfit you'd wear to an afternoon Wedding.

Your Husband's outfit sounds just fine.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:10:05 AM »
I think it's sort of hard to tell. The Cocktail Buffet wording to me indicates that it will be a hor'douvers and not a full dinner buffet and that since it starts at 6 they expect the event to be over by 8pm or so.

But I can't imagine your dress plans would not be appropriate. In my city, the men would most likely be in a sports jacket and no tie, but we are probably a little less formal.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:25:06 AM »
I'm with rose red.  I would go with a cocktail dress/LBD/something not what I would wear to church or work. For men I would advise an actual suit (maybe with a more casual colorful tie), but I am not familiar with that area and what the standards might be.  Have fun!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
LBD or cocktail dress, a suit for him. He can take the jacket and tie off if it's more casual once you're there, but for Bethesda, dress up.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

DavidH

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
I  think it's likely closer to a cocktail party attire than informal, but it is kind of vague.  As a guy, I'd wear a jacked, nice darker slacks, and have a tie available, either in a pocket or in your purse if there were room.

lowspark

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »
The phrases "wedding celebration", "formal invitation" and "Cocktail Buffet" point to cocktail attire.

It's a wedding celebration so I tend to think that's on the dressier side anyway. Plus they sent a formal invitation instead of something more casual. Then they seal the deal by using the word "cocktail" for the food.

The only thing that's a bit weird is the early start time. But I'd still go in cocktail attire.

noydb

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
I'm just maybe clarifying some things....

Starts at 6pm -- no indication on length.  I assumed lasting until 10 or 11. ??
At the home of the bride's parents, residential area
hosted by both sets of parents
"The celebration of their marriage"
'Cocktail Buffet' --- I assumed this to be buffet dinner...not heavy food, not just appetizers, but a meal since starts at 6pm
Formal invite as in it is on card stock, but fairly basic.

I dont think I'm going for a LBD, probably a slight step less informal than that.  Like, I think a simple/fairly plain LBD would be fairly appropropriate, but nothing more.  I'm going for a nice black dress with some sparkly jewelry and nice black heels.  Good?  I hope.  Sorry, just really want to avoid having to purchase anything, and I would need to purchase a LBD (everything I have is dated and shows too much of my new, post kids body  ::)   ).

EllenS

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:39:41 PM »
I think women have it easier on these in-betweeny things than men do. It's just so much easier to put together an outfit and adjust it when you get there.

I'd go with a very basic solid-color/dark dress or dress "suit" (if you are like me and hard to fit in a one-piece), and then go all out with hair, shoes and jewellry.  If you can pull it off, you could also do something with a strappy or strapless dress and wear a jacket/shrug/shawl that can be taken off if it looks like bare shoulders are the way to go.