Author Topic: Menu help - guests with differing food preferences  (Read 2474 times)

that_one_girl

Re: Menu help - guests with differing food preferences
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 08:57:12 AM »
Build your own-whatever types of meals work great when you have a lot of people that have diet preferences ... for family get-togethers, this is usually what we end up doing.
Even a pasta bar will work, since the low-carbers can just get less pasta or no pasta.  I also don't think it would be out of line to ask the GF people to please bring their own pasta or roll so that they can have the pasta bar or sandwich bar.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »

As an aside - as far as I can tell, a meal that is both vegan and paleo-friendly would consist mainly of vegetables and fruit, with a few nuts. Paleos eat about 60% meat, and no grains, legumes or potatoes. So they won't eat tofu, most veggie substitutes, rice, beans, pasta or any sort of noodle, or the salad dressing (processed oils) while the vegan won't touch the nuts, eggs, insects or meat.

Why is paleo being discussed? I saw her state a vegan and a lowcarb/higprotein diet were the requirements.

And I've not met a vegan you won't eat nuts. I learned to cook a nut burger for my DD's vegan friend.

mrkitty

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 10:49:58 AM »
I think you should just go ahead and serve what you were originally planning to. This catering to special diets and special requests all over the place is getting out of control, in my opinion. You are the host. You decide what gets served and what doesn't. You are not a restaurant or a nutritionist. I see no need to send out a menu before your event in any case. If the guests don't like what you have to offer, they can eat around it, or, if it's a buffet, they can grow the hell up and put together something they find "acceptable". Guests should not dictate the menu to the host. What ever happened to being a gracious guest? I remember way back when going to dinner parties and being polite - even if the food was awful, you pretended to eat and give the host your compliments and grab something to eat on the way home. The point of social occasions is NOT to have your nutritional or food preferences catered to...but to socialize. This is just getting out of hand.

OP, serve what you want to serve, and expect your guests to behave graciously. If they don't, perhaps they don't deserve your hospitality, which sounds absolutely flawless and divine. I would have been honored to be invited to your event. It's too bad people don't appreciate gracious hospitality with equal graciousness in return.
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

perpetua

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
I think you should just go ahead and serve what you were originally planning to. This catering to special diets and special requests all over the place is getting out of control, in my opinion. You are the host. You decide what gets served and what doesn't. You are not a restaurant or a nutritionist. I see no need to send out a menu before your event in any case. If the guests don't like what you have to offer, they can eat around it, or, if it's a buffet, they can grow the hell up and put together something they find "acceptable". Guests should not dictate the menu to the host. What ever happened to being a gracious guest? I remember way back when going to dinner parties and being polite - even if the food was awful, you pretended to eat and give the host your compliments and grab something to eat on the way home. The point of social occasions is NOT to have your nutritional or food preferences catered to...but to socialize. This is just getting out of hand.

OP, serve what you want to serve, and expect your guests to behave graciously. If they don't, perhaps they don't deserve your hospitality, which sounds absolutely flawless and divine. I would have been honored to be invited to your event. It's too bad people don't appreciate gracious hospitality with equal graciousness in return.

I agree. While I would cater to vegetarians or my friend who eats gluten free for medical reasons and wouldn't have the allergen of one of the guests in the main dish, I'm with you on all the rest of it.

People forget these days that the point of 'going to dinner' with someone is the company. Not the food. Of course it's great to have great food, but the food is almost an incidental thing, an 'excuse' to invite people over. It's like when I see people turning down Christmas invitations because they don't like exactly what's on the menu or because someone isn't serving roast potatoes that year or something. Surely the point is the pleasure of sharing the holiday with people?

I once went to a dinner party at a friend's and despite him asking people what they were allergic to prior, he completely forgot and put one of my allergens in one of the main dishes. I just didn't eat it. No biggie. I certainly wasn't about to complain about it when he was providing a lovely social occasion for all of us, because that was the point of the evening.