Author Topic: Visitor Laundry  (Read 4741 times)

Psychopoesie

Re: Visitor Laundry
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 01:37:48 AM »
If someone's visiting for a few days, I'll ask if they need to do laundry when I run a load. I'd be upset if they were worried about using extra electricity - they're guests and I'd like them to be as comfy as possible.

I tend to travel light although I plan to have enough clothes to get me through a trip. Sometimes those plans don't work out: stuff gets spilled or I need to dress up more than I expected (so the good outfits get used up). So I ask if I can do some laundry.

It's not usually a big deal and throwing a load in the machine doesn't really take that much time out of the holiday. Most of the people I'd stay with have their own washing machine and dryer - might be harder if you're using a communal laundry facility.

A friend I wasn't even staying with at the time was kind enough to offer me the use of her laundry (she lived 5 minutes away from my accomodation).  There was a problem with accessing the laundry where I was staying for the week. I was so grateful to her. It saved me carting my stuff to the nearest laundromat (considerably further by bus).

Figgie

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
I do laundry every other day and always tell guests to just toss whatever they wanted washed in the laundry hamper or if they want to wash a load of their own (clothes that need to be treated specially) to go right ahead.

Most of the people who stay with us don't stay much longer than a week and it really isn't a big deal to have them wash their laundry as much or as little as they would like.  The amount of water and electricity/gas is pretty negligible, as it isn't like they are laundering multiple loads of king size quilts.  :)

Admittedly, we have a washer and dryer right here in the house (shortly to be moved up to a main floor laundry) which makes it much easier.  Since we tend to stay with the same couples who stay with us, they are the same way about offering laundry facilities.  I like to be able to wash and not have to pack as much and to not have to take home any dirty laundry except what we are wearing on the travel day.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 06:45:39 PM »
I do laundry every other day and always tell guests to just toss whatever they wanted washed in the laundry hamper or if they want to wash a load of their own (clothes that need to be treated specially) to go right ahead.

Most of the people who stay with us don't stay much longer than a week and it really isn't a big deal to have them wash their laundry as much or as little as they would like.  The amount of water and electricity/gas is pretty negligible, as it isn't like they are laundering multiple loads of king size quilts.  :)

Admittedly, we have a washer and dryer right here in the house (shortly to be moved up to a main floor laundry) which makes it much easier.  Since we tend to stay with the same couples who stay with us, they are the same way about offering laundry facilities.  I like to be able to wash and not have to pack as much and to not have to take home any dirty laundry except what we are wearing on the travel day.

There are some things that you don't mind packing (or can pack in a plastic bag to keep any smell from being absorbed by the luggage).  Then there are things like wet swimsuits, jogging clothes after a three mile run, the jogging shoes (okay - those get bagged or worn by the owner on the trip home, not washed), and anything a baby has burped on or otherwise "soiled" - because sour milk and the other stuff is really not going to improve by being packed.  Fortunately, the "baby" is about to turn 20 next month.

But laundry is a wonderful option, if it's available - and it beats washing something out in the sink, hanging it in the bathroom, and HOPING that it dries...even if you have a plastic bag to stick it in before packing it.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 08:27:29 AM »
When I visit family or close friends I do get imvolved in domestic actibities. Iload the dishwaher, I watch the kids while their Mom goes to the store, etc. I might even go on a CostCo run myself. Doing some laundry doesn't seem that unusual.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »
So, SIL and her DH have had their visit.  They're avid gardeners so we took them to the Botanic Garden.  We also took them to Coney Island.  SIL and I went shopping and found some neat Christmas gifts for her DsIL.  A good time was had by all.

They're excellent guests and yes, a load of wash was done. 

Emmy

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »
I haven't asked to do laundry at a friend's house, but then again I never had a visit longer than two nights with a friend.  Usually visits to the in-laws last about 5 days to a week and I always do laundry.  We have to fly there so packing less saves us the fee for more luggage to and from the visit.  Now that we have 2 kids, our suitcase space is even more at a premium.

I would think it a little odd if somebody came to visit for a very short period of time (2 days) and wanted to do it laundry, but it would not bother me.  I would expect the visitors would need to do laundry for a visit of several days.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 11:02:20 PM »
A stay of a few days, I wouldn't expect someone to want to do laundry, but after 4 days or so, perhaps. If I have a guest I usually ask them if they want to throw anything in with my stuff. I think it's wasteful to run the washer and dryer for, say, just a couple of t-shirts.

If they are only staying a couple of days, there is also the consideration that my place might be just a short stop in their travels through other places, ie hotels, and of course I would totally understand if they wanted to do laundry before moving on to the next place.

EllenS

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »
When I visit family or close friends I do get imvolved in domestic actibities. Iload the dishwaher, I watch the kids while their Mom goes to the store, etc. I might even go on a CostCo run myself. Doing some laundry doesn't seem that unusual.

That's a good point.  Usually if I am staying at someone's home (family or close friends), we will also make a grocery run and/or cook at least one meal, or at least be in charge of breakfast and lunch for our own kids.  We also will strip/make our beds, and clean the bathroom after ourselves - so doing a load of wash kind of seems to flow along with that.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »

I often visit people as part of a longer trip - so that three day visit might be days 12-15 since I left home. So laundry will definitely be needed at several points along the trip.

When I have guests coming, I tell them in advance that they're welcome to do laundry, but I don't have a dryer, and in the winter it can take 48 hours to dry jeans (this is standard where I live - washers are common, but people hang to dry).

Girly

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »
At my mom's house - I don't even ask, I just throw a load in if there's enough for a full load.
However, usually there's not, because she's busy doing our laundry before I get to it!

I don't do laundry at my In-Laws, because we always combine the trip with the trip to my parents, so we always leave the dirty clothes at my parent's house.