Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Visitor Laundry

<< < (8/8)

Emmy:
I haven't asked to do laundry at a friend's house, but then again I never had a visit longer than two nights with a friend.  Usually visits to the in-laws last about 5 days to a week and I always do laundry.  We have to fly there so packing less saves us the fee for more luggage to and from the visit.  Now that we have 2 kids, our suitcase space is even more at a premium.

I would think it a little odd if somebody came to visit for a very short period of time (2 days) and wanted to do it laundry, but it would not bother me.  I would expect the visitors would need to do laundry for a visit of several days.

Raintree:
A stay of a few days, I wouldn't expect someone to want to do laundry, but after 4 days or so, perhaps. If I have a guest I usually ask them if they want to throw anything in with my stuff. I think it's wasteful to run the washer and dryer for, say, just a couple of t-shirts.

If they are only staying a couple of days, there is also the consideration that my place might be just a short stop in their travels through other places, ie hotels, and of course I would totally understand if they wanted to do laundry before moving on to the next place.

EllenS:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on October 09, 2013, 08:27:29 AM ---When I visit family or close friends I do get imvolved in domestic actibities. Iload the dishwaher, I watch the kids while their Mom goes to the store, etc. I might even go on a CostCo run myself. Doing some laundry doesn't seem that unusual.

--- End quote ---

That's a good point.  Usually if I am staying at someone's home (family or close friends), we will also make a grocery run and/or cook at least one meal, or at least be in charge of breakfast and lunch for our own kids.  We also will strip/make our beds, and clean the bathroom after ourselves - so doing a load of wash kind of seems to flow along with that.

blarg314:

I often visit people as part of a longer trip - so that three day visit might be days 12-15 since I left home. So laundry will definitely be needed at several points along the trip.

When I have guests coming, I tell them in advance that they're welcome to do laundry, but I don't have a dryer, and in the winter it can take 48 hours to dry jeans (this is standard where I live - washers are common, but people hang to dry).

Girly:
At my mom's house - I don't even ask, I just throw a load in if there's enough for a full load.
However, usually there's not, because she's busy doing our laundry before I get to it!

I don't do laundry at my In-Laws, because we always combine the trip with the trip to my parents, so we always leave the dirty clothes at my parent's house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version