Author Topic: Visitor Laundry  (Read 5112 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Visitor Laundry
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »
I'm always very thrilled when I can do laundry while on vacation. Because laundry on vacation is infinitely easier then laundry at home! I live in an apartment building and I am not allowed to have my own washer & dryer, instead I must lug all my laundry down the hall, down the elevator, down another hall, hope a machine is empty, pay, remember to be back down promptly to move it t a dryer (again hoping a machine is available) then remember to get down promptly, to haul it down a hall, up the elevator and back down a hall, and I must do this all within the laundry room hours, which are not 24/7. Oh and I need to work around my work schedule because when I'm home I'm not on vacation. If at someone's home or a vacation rental with a washer & dryer 1 or 2 rooms away and a nice relaxed schedule, laundry is 100x less of a chore. And it means when I get home, and resume my work schedule I don't have a huge pile of dirty laundry waiting to be done.

Also, I generally only travel with one suitcase. So if I'm not doing laundry, I have to pack any dirty clothes in with clean clothes, which I don't care for at all. (Yes I usually bring a large plastic bag or something for the dirty clothes, but folded clothes fit in suitcases better, and i dislike folding my dirty clothes.)

This is how I am as well. I also live in an apt, and have to rely on the laundry rooms in my complex. I work during the day, and also a second job a couple nights a week. So relaly after work is my only time to do laundry (I avoid doing it on weekends like the plague). So if I happen to be staying with someone for an extended time, which is very rare, I'd welcome the chance to wash some of my things before coming home.

Whenever I visit my mom, I not only do mine before I leave, but I have been known to bring my dirty stuff down with me!! Mainly beacuse a lot of the time I am too busy to get it done before I leave. But its my mom, so that's a little different. She doens't mind at all. She will joke I use all her detergent, but she really doesn't care.

Visiting other family or friends; I generally don't since I'm only there a couple days or so. I know both my cousins will ask if i want to do any, but I'm usually ok.

And I also learned, from my last cruise, I factor in the small expense of having some done on ship, so I can pack less. 

I wouldn't do all of mine since I am fussy about how I do it, and the bulk of my stuff gets hung to dry, so other than at mom's, where I hang it in my bath and closet to dry, I wouldn't want to impose my pickyness on anyone else.

jmarvellous

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
I don't think it odd to offer or ask.

My husband thought it was strange that his mother offered to let us use her facilities (I would've asked, otherwise) at the tail-end of a two-WEEK trip.

Granted, we'd packed a lot because it was either going with us or in a moving truck, so it wasn't like we needed to wash to save space. But we didn't know what the laundromat situation was going to be in our new home, nor did we know precisely when we'd get around to unpacking all our boxed-up clothes. I was really grateful we had the chance to wash a load!

Arila

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 02:06:19 PM »
Since it's close family involved, I have a slightly different answer than if it was a distant aunt or friend ---

Also, it depends on the timing and nature of the visit. If it was a last minute thing, or visiting after a long week at work, I might pack some dirty clothes and feel "at home" to toss them in the laundry when I got to my parents' or sister's house. But I would also let them know that I needed that and part of being "at home" to do it -- do all of the work myself (at most requesting instruction if I'd never used the machine before).

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
If I was planning to do laundry while traveling, I'd check with my host ahead of time, or give them a heads-up if I already know it's okay (e.g., I know my mother is fine with my using the washer and dryer in her kitchen, but I'm still going to mention it before I pack, in case something has changed). Conversely, when my girlfriend last visited I encouraged her to pack less and do laundry here, since we now have our own washer and dryer. If something unexpected happened--some rude person in a truck splashes dirty water all over my pants, say--I'll ask about laundry facilities, and expect a friendly answer, even if it's "we generally use the laundromat down the street, would you rather just hang those to dry?"

At the moment I have an unplanned half load of laundry in, because I've been clumsy the last day or so: when I realized I'd stained the shirt I was wearing with berries, and had another shirt soaking from yesterday, I grabbed them and a pair of pants and did a cold water wash with just those, so I could easily inspect them before they went in the dryer. My dexterity doesn't magically improve while traveling, so I might yet ask to at least soak something to avoid setting a stain, though two shirts in two days is unusually bad luck.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Library Dragon

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
When the DSs were little I would do a load or two at MIL's so I didn't have to pack as much.  Now the only time is if we're on a two-week stay or something has gotten exceptionally wet & dirty (walking through NYC snow banks).

In general I wouldn't care if someone did laundry at my home.  The only time this was a problem was when we hosted friends with 5 kids (16-5 years) and the teenage daughter spent an hour one morning using all the hot water to hand wash all her clothes, right before everyone else needed to shower. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »
We go on vacation to a time share in the summer for two weeks.  I pack five or "outfits" plus a spare shirt or two and ONE dress,  just in case, pants, shirts, & tank tops that will mix and match a bit to make more outfits the next time I wear them because we have a washer & dryer either in the unit or down the hall.  If we stop for a few more days (or even one night) on the way home (two day drive) and I have the option, I will wash the clothes that we traveled in - because fast food always seems to drip on my shirt...and if I leave it, the stain sets permanently.

VorGuy takes fewer clothes - although HIS POV is that all of his polo shirts work with all of his pants or shorts (well, maybe not the swim trunks) so he doesn't have to worry about color coordinating things.  One pair each of khaki slacks, navy slacks, and denim jeans plus khaki and navy shorts adds up to five bottoms - plus jogging shorts and swim trunks. 

He does want all clothes clean when going from one place to the other (except what we are wearing) because the car and our luggage smell better that way.....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:38:01 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
As I said, there's no problem with the offer or the request. 

Our family is very much of the 'Here's where everything is. Help yourself' persuasion.  MIL is also used to having visits from her Grandchildren who have children of their own.  To her, offering the use of the laundry is almost automatic.  With little kids in the house, a load of wash every other day is a given.  It's also a given on active vacations when people can easily get muddy or sweaty. 

I think SIL asked because she didn't quite know how things worked in an apartment building.  Our building doesn't have a laundry room.  Each apartment has its own set-up.  The only real restrictions are on time.  Residents are asked not to do laundry between the hours of 10 PM and 7 AM.  That was fine for SIL.  As it turned out, our set-up was almost exactly the same as she was used to at home. 

We don't have many over-night visitors but we want the ones we have to be as comfortable as
possible.     

I was just curious how common it is do a load of wash after a visit of a day or two.

The responses have been very enlightening.  I thank you all. 

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:10:39 PM by Thipu1 »

katycoo

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
I've not had cause to do laundry when staying with a friend but unless it was at a particularly incovenient time, I wouldn't care if a guest asked to do theirs, unless they wanted to use the dryer all the time.

demarco

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »
We rarely have houseguests but when we do I usually ask them if they have any laundry to do.  I ask this because I have always appreciated the opportunity to wash clothes if I am the houseguest and have rarely been offered it. Laundry  can be difficult to get done on the road and I think it is nice to offer. 

Amara

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
I too rarely have houseguests but I want them be as at home as possible. And to me that means making sure they go home with a suitcase full of freshly washed clothes they can just put away when they arrive there. The only dirty clothes will be the ones they wore that day.

sweetonsno

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 01:48:01 AM »
I think the same way as you do, Thipu. Really, if you're staying less than a week, you really shouldn't have to do laundry. Exception would be something like heavy duty sports (sweaty clothes) or swimsuits maybe. But even then, it's a maybe.

A friend of mine was visiting and stayed with a mutual friend. The three of us were hanging out together for a few days. Host friend was perturbed that guest friend wanted to do laundry. She'd arrived on Tuesday night and was leaving Sunday morning. So really, about four and a half days.

The issue was that she chose the exact tiime to do laundry that host's husband was going to do his. I mean, he was toting laundry to the washer when guest interrupted to do hers. So that obviously left a bad taste in everyone's mouth (except the guest!). But it got host friend and me to pondering, Really? She needed to do laundry after being there about three days? Come on.

So yeah, I'd have to say, it would annoy me a little. I bet if said person were on a vacation for the same amount of time, or even more, staying in a hotel, they would manage without doing laundry till they got home.

I can think of a few circumstances where someone might need to do laundry after only three days (beyond the sports example). Toiletry lids come unscrewed. People spill food and makeup on themselves. Heck, makeup and toiletry bottles sometimes completely explode when you open them after a flight. There are bathroom-related mishaps. While I wouldn't expect any of these things to happen, I also don't think they're uncommon enough to be completely out of the ordinary. I can also see a female guest not wanting to explain that she was a few days early, particularly to her friend's husband.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »
I've smelled a suitcase that VorGuy packed his jogging clothes in after it was shut up for storage (it had been allowed to air dry before being shut up - and he'd had them in a plastic grocery bag - I wondered if it had a hole in it).

He now runs his jogging clothes through the washer & dryer while we're packing to come home - he's only ONCE forgotten to get them out of the dryer (by himself that week - I was baby sitting the grandson while our DD and her DH took a second honeymoon for their fifth anniversary).  It took a year to find an exact replacement (longer legs, loose, pocket for an ID card/room key) at a price that didn't have him wincing.

We found them in Sandestin, Florida on our way to Orlando.  The same outlet mall chain had them in Orlando, but the price was a lot higher.  He didn't get a second pair in Orlando, he's waiting for the next time we go to Sandestin (next month for Thanksgiving)!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:42:11 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »
I much prefer doing laundry on vacation than having that much more to do when I get home. I am usually exhausted after travel.  My feeling is, if I know someone well enough to stay in their home (vs. a hotel), then we know each other well enough to use the washer.

Hijacking the host's machines for your own laundry when you know they were about to run a load (as mentioned upthread) is rude.  But if seeing the laundry process reminded me, "oh, yeah!  We have enough clothes to make a load!", then I would ask to use the machines after the host was done.
                www.ellenseltz.com

CakeEater

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 01:28:41 AM »
Absent any emergency, I only do washing clothes at my parents' place for trips of a few days. Anywhere else I would just wait until I got home. Because I am there to visit, not to do domestic tasks. And while it's nice to have clean clothes when you get home, I feel bad using my host's washing machine to accomplish that task. They don't need to use their electricity to wash my clothes.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 01:01:29 AM »
Absent any emergency, I only do washing clothes at my parents' place for trips of a few days. Anywhere else I would just wait until I got home. Because I am there to visit, not to do domestic tasks. And while it's nice to have clean clothes when you get home, I feel bad using my host's washing machine to accomplish that task. They don't need to use their electricity to wash my clothes.

That's my feeling, too. I can't remember doing my wash at someone else's house, barring a major spill or mess.