Author Topic: Master Negotiator  (Read 3163 times)

Green Bean

Re: Master Negotiator
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 07:03:30 AM »

My advise to people is - When creating your budget, include everything you could ever possibly want, and be prepared to negotiate down. It's VERY rare that I see a budget approved as is, with no cuts.

I disagree. We are going through the budgeting process right now. Due to the nature of my work, I see the proposed budget for many different departments. The ones full of all sorts of extras are told to trim them. The ones that are pared down to what the department actually needs sail right through.

My suggestion is to be well prepared. Have a deep and through understanding of your needs, and be able to speak to them if need be; understand your needs and priorities v.what's extra, and understand where the otherwise is coming from.

jmarvellous

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 10:14:48 AM »
Well, the theme of these negotiations is 'contracts,' generally,  so probably hiring/firing, but possibly sales of land or goods,  or service contracts.

All of this will serve us well! I am definitely guilty of putting too much out there too early.

katycoo

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 04:18:07 AM »

My advise to people is - When creating your budget, include everything you could ever possibly want, and be prepared to negotiate down. It's VERY rare that I see a budget approved as is, with no cuts.

I disagree. We are going through the budgeting process right now. Due to the nature of my work, I see the proposed budget for many different departments. The ones full of all sorts of extras are told to trim them. The ones that are pared down to what the department actually needs sail right through.

Sure but you won't get any of the strictly unnecessary but nice wants if you don't ask for them.  Asking for 10 unnecessaries and negotiating may mean you get 5.

Self-trimming and asking for 5 may mean you get 1.

Self-trimming and asking for none might mean immediate approval, but you get none.