Author Topic: Taking Food Reserved for Kids - FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS #10, #22  (Read 8235 times)

Allyson

Re: Taking Food Reserved for Kids - FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS #10, #22
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »
The guy was rude, but not because of the food he picked. I think people with experience with these things, or children, etc might recognize that it was intended for children. But, not all people would. Some people are just going to see "hot dogs!" and not leap to "this was meant for children."

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
In my world hot dogs, chicken fingers, and mac & cheese are not kids food, they are just food. If I was at a party and these items were being served it would not occur to me that they were intended for the kids. I don't believe in tiered hospitality so I would think it a bit rude for a host to declare that something was only for a specific age group.

As far as this guy goes the amount of food he took is what makes him rude. Although I admit it gave me a bit of a chuckle as I was reminded of the scene in Anchor Man where Will Ferrell is talking to Baxter the dog "....And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing."

jmarvellous

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 05:45:10 PM »
First, I think that if you want a certain food to be restricted to certain guests, you don't put it on the main table. Putting it at a buffet, even off to one side, says to me, "This is special, but not restricted -- if uncertain, ask!"

(For example, at my wedding, we had vegan and gluten free cookies for our restricted-diet guests (cake with dairy as usual for everyone else). Once I was sure they'd all had their fill, we put them out, but if someone had gone into the kitchen where they were specifically set aside so that no one would 'happen' on them, my guests and I would have all been disappointed.)

Second, I agree that this guy over did it (both his quantity and his presence). Glad he's not in your life any longer.

As for how to deal with people like this, if you're the host and you notice it as it's happening, I would not be afraid to say something like, "Excuse me, do you mind leaving a few more hot dogs behind for the kids? There are a few who don't eat the more 'adult' main dishes."

I wouldn't make it a demand, but I wouldn't let it go unremarked, either.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »
The uninvited guest was really, really rude as were those who drug him along.

But....that's big here...why did the hosts try to make a kids' buffet? We have a 42 year old neice who still prefers hot dogs and peanut, butter, jelly sandwiches. And and 82 year old who like gentle food.

I always have plenty for everyone, including garlic potatoes and artichoke salad right next to the mac and cheese and the potato salad.

The hot dogs are next to the filet mignon and pulled pork.

We do have a family with very, very strict dietary needs. After the prayer and sharing before the buffet, which I understand is not universal, I point out the "Smith's buffet table", please don't go there until after the Smith's branch has been through. It is way across the kitchen so non family members are gently aprised of the area.

Honestly, I hope they rethink this.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »
Depending on how many guests there were, maybe there were enough for adults, but after one guy taking 6 hot dogs and a dozen chicken fingers and half a caserole dish of mac & cheese,...well.

And like I said before, I'm sure (hope) the host knows the taste and diet restrictions of invited guests.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:00:31 PM by rose red »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »
In my world hot dogs, chicken fingers, and mac & cheese are not kids food, they are just food. If I was at a party and these items were being served it would not occur to me that they were intended for the kids...

I do have to agree with this. In my social circle, only two couples have kids. Another couple Joan and Ralph (no kids) often host parties, as they have the best yard for them. And there are always hotdogs and mac & cheese served, at every party. The couples with the kids don't always make it, and if they do their kids (one kid per couple) don't always come. But the hotdogs and mac & cheese are out, set among the food as regular fare for the adults, just as were for all the years before anyone started having kids.

snowdragon

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »
In my world hot dogs, chicken fingers, and mac & cheese are not kids food, they are just food. If I was at a party and these items were being served it would not occur to me that they were intended for the kids. I don't believe in tiered hospitality so I would think it a bit rude for a host to declare that something was only for a specific age group.

As far as this guy goes the amount of food he took is what makes him rude. Although I admit it gave me a bit of a chuckle as I was reminded of the scene in Anchor Man where Will Ferrell is talking to Baxter the dog "....And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing."

This. Unless there is a legal reason why one age group should not have a particular food ( alcohol based dishes for instance) tired hosting would be considered rude by most people here, I think.

But the idea that a guest, univited or not, took the majority of several types of food is incomprehensibly rude. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 06:43:13 PM »
Anyone, regardless of age, who takes more than one serving of offered items the first time around is ungracious.

greencat

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »
Regardless of what he was eating, the sheer quantity he took made him a bad guest.

I once had a friend - a member of my gaming group - with a similar lack of social skills.  He did the same thing with some homemade treats at my house - I had baked two huge loaves of bread (I used my stainless steel stockpots - so they were one foot tall one foot wide cylinders of bread!)  He ate one whole loaf more or less by himself.  As we had all known him between 3 and 20 years at that point, we had a little group intervention on good manners then and there.  He improved remarkably after that (he is a former friend for other reasons.)

Phoebe

Re: Taking Food Reserved for Kids
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »
I should've clarified in the OP that he took a lot.  I saw the plate and he took 5-6 hot dogs, about a dozen chicken fingers, and about half of the casserole dish holding the macaroni and cheese.
How on Earth did he get all of that on one plate?  :o

snowdragon

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
I should've clarified in the OP that he took a lot.  I saw the plate and he took 5-6 hot dogs, about a dozen chicken fingers, and about half of the casserole dish holding the macaroni and cheese.
I am try
ing to understand you he ate it all

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »
I am try
ing to understand you he ate it all

Was his name Joey Chestnut?

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »

As far as this guy goes the amount of food he took is what makes him rude.

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded.

CakeEater

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 09:46:42 PM »

As far as this guy goes the amount of food he took is what makes him rude.

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded.

See, in my world, those things sitting together at one end of a buffet just screams 'kid food'. Particularly if there were 8 hotdogs and about 8 kids. If they were spread among the other food and there were 30 hotdogs, then, yes, go for it, adults.

Rohanna

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
The fact that they were grouped, smaller in amounts than the rest of the food and off to the side a bit and typical western "kid food" would make me pause and double check before I dug in. I don't think it matters much if you like/believe in/let your kids eat "kid food", I think if you're reasonable about it you can probably acknowledge that culturally these are typical North American items that most people would identify as such- and that it probably wouldn't hurt to say "hey, anyone mind if I have a hot dog or are these meant for the kiddos".

It's rather as if there was a whole buffet of omnivore food, and a small collection of a small amount of what was obviously vegan food- I'd probably check before taking a hearty portion of the small bowl of salad in that "section"- even if I like it if I knew there were several vegans in attendance.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.