Author Topic: Taking Food Reserved for Kids - FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS #10, #22  (Read 8325 times)

StuffedGrapeLeaves

Taking Food Reserved for Kids - FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS #10, #22
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
Today's entry on eHell about CapriSun being reserved for the kids reminded me of what happened a few years ago.  We went to a party hosted by friends of ours.  They provided a lot of food, and set them out buffet style.  There were steak, chicken, different types of salads, corn, etc.  On the same table, but more to the side, they set out some more kid-friendly food such as hot dogs, chicken fingers, and macaroni and cheese.  Their thinking was that by putting them to one side, it would make it easier for the parents and for the kids themselves to access, but they certainly weren't looking to limit the kids to just that food.  In fact there were kids there who ate the steak, chicken, salads, corn, etc.  There were certainly more of the "adult-type" food than the kids' food. 

One of the guests went and took a lot of food from the kids' side at the beginning of the meal for himself.  The hosts were taken aback at this, and they had to scramble to cook some more hot dogs.  They didn't have any more chicken fingers or macaroni or cheese.  Was he rude for doing this?  Or was it OK since it wasn't specified that it was just for the kids, and the kids were certainly eating from the "adult" side too? 

I also found out later that this guest was not invited.  Another guest brought him along without informing the hosts.  During the party he also didn't talk to anyone else other than the person who brought him.  So perhaps this also affected the hosts' perception of him. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:29:55 PM by StuffedGrapeLeaves »

SpikeMichigan

Re: Taking Food Reserved for Kids
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:55:19 PM »

The fact that he was not invited - well that's bad but a completely different issue.

The food? Nope. I wouldn't buy any argument that 'kids can have everything but theres some stuff thats just for kids'. Now, if you wanted to host that kind of party, well, thats your call (general you) but it has to be made absolutely clear. The guy had no way of knowing that it was separate.

I'm also opposed to the concept of having some food thats, 'adults only, no kids allowed'. Alcohol being the exception, I guess.

MissNomer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
I don't think the rudeness was so much what he took as it was the amount he took. I'd think just as poorly if he had glutted himself on the "adult" food. I think there's an unspoken etiquette that with buffet serving you leave food for others and if you're still hungry you can go back for seconds.

And this guy wasn't even invited? What chutzpah!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 01:57:42 PM »
It sounds like it wasn't made clear that one table of food was only for children?  So I can't see that the guest did anything wrong here.  How was he supposed to know?  If I saw two tables of food, without knowing one was reserved for only child guests, I'd help myself, too.

Now, if he took more than a reasonable adult meal portion, that's greedy, and that's where I'd see him as being rude.  He should have waited and gone back up for seconds once everyone had their portions.  But I'm not sure from the OP if he did that or not.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »

I also found out later that this guest was not invited.  Another guest brought him along without informing the hosts.  ...

Other than the fact that he took "a lot" of food from the 'kid friendly' part of the table, no he wasn't rude.  Maybe if he'd taken less no one would even have noticed.  He may have even thought (erroneously) that he was being "polite" to take what he perceived to be the less expensive stuff.

But the person who brought him there without first clearing it with the hosts was definitely rude!  I wouldn't be surprised if he/she doesn't get invited to the next party thrown by these hosts!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »
I think the guests rudeness was taking "a lot" of the foods, not having some of them. At any buffet party situation a person should do a quick gauge of the crowd and then at the amount of food set out and limit themselves accordingly. At a restaurant its reasonable to assume the dish will be replenished, at a party its reasonable to assume whats out is all there is.

So if there were 8 hotdogs out and 30 people at the party - adults or kids - certainly no one should take more then 1 hotdog, at least not at first. After every single person has had a shot at "firsts" if there are any left, going up for a second is reasonable. Same with anything else - if there are two dozen chicken fingers out, no one should take more then 1 or 2 fingers, if only one quart of mac & cheese, no more then 1 scoop, at first pass. Etc. Same with "adult" food. If there are 30 pieces of chicken, each person should only take 1, 30 burgers, only take 1, until everyone has had a chance to get some.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
If the hosts had to scramble to cook more hot dogs and there wasn't enough of the other things to go around, then the univited guest was even more rude because of the amount of food he took, as MissNomer said.

It would have been pretty obvious to everyone but Mister Oblivious that the hot dogs, mac and cheese and chicken fingers were intended for the kids.  If he really wanted the mac and cheese, by all means, take a spoonful.  But it sounds like he cleaned out the entire dish.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Isilleke

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »
I think it was rude to take the amount he took, but not that he took the children's food.

TBH I can see myself also taking the kid's food, mostly because I have a very childlike eating pattern. I wouldn't take that much though.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 02:09:40 PM »
I agree, it sounds like the amount of food was the rudeness. Maybe he was allergic to something on the adult table, who knows. But it is rude to take all the food when you are at the front of the line.

Like the front page post today, if the OP had taken all the Capri Sun juice before any children, that would be rude. Drinking one, especially near the end of the festivities, no problem at all.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »
I think his rudeness was in taking so much, not in sampling everything that was there.

It probably wouldn't even have occurred to me that some food was kid's only, even if it was to the side. I have a huge, huge weakness for mac n cheese (I love me some Annie's) and I would probably have picked a hot dog over a steak as well.

So yeah, rude to show up uninvited, rude to pile a plate high, but not to take food next to other foods just because everyone else understood it to be kid's food (unless there was an announcement or something.)

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »
I should've clarified in the OP that he took a lot.  I saw the plate and he took 5-6 hot dogs, about a dozen chicken fingers, and about half of the casserole dish holding the macaroni and cheese. 

DavidH

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
Unless the food was clearly specified as for the kids only, I don't see anything wrong with taking some of it.  Taking "a lot" is somewhat subjective, but taking beyond a normal portion on the first pass through the buffet seems rude to me.  Using WillNilly's portioning seems reasonable, one shouldn't have to divide a portioned item like a hot dog into parts or take half a chicken finger.

The portions you are describing are enormous and beyond what one could normally anticipate guests to eat unless perhaps they are all teenage boys, then all bets are off.  Out of interest, did he consume it all?

Arriving uninvited is a completely different issue.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »
I should've clarified in the OP that he took a lot.  I saw the plate and he took 5-6 hot dogs, about a dozen chicken fingers, and about half of the casserole dish holding the macaroni and cheese.

He sounds like a social clod.

He wasn't really invited to this party.  I strongly suspect he rarely gets invitations to such events.  I wonder if he knows why not?   :-\

Goosey

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »

:o Where does he put it all?? Was he sharing?

I definitely agree that the rudeness was in the staggering amount, not the choice of entree.

Hillia

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »

:o Where does he put it all?? Was he sharing?

I definitely agree that the rudeness was in the staggering amount, not the choice of entree.

POD. This is just piggish - that much food over the course of the event would be ok, but to grab that much before anyone else had a chance to get some is very rude.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools