Author Topic: Taking Food Reserved for Kids - FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS #10, #22  (Read 8237 times)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Taking Food Reserved for Kids
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
I should've clarified in the OP that he took a lot.  I saw the plate and he took 5-6 hot dogs, about a dozen chicken fingers, and about half of the casserole dish holding the macaroni and cheese.

Wow!  That's incredibly rude.  I agree with the general trend of posts, that the rudeness here was in the portion size, not which food he chose.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »
I should've clarified in the OP that he took a lot.  I saw the plate and he took 5-6 hot dogs, about a dozen chicken fingers, and about half of the casserole dish holding the macaroni and cheese.

Wow!  That's incredibly rude.  I agree with the general trend of posts, that the rudeness here was in the portion size, not which food he chose.

Ditto.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

lowspark

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »
I agree - the amount of food he took, especially since you said he did this at the beginning of the meal, is pretty rude.

I gotta wonder, though, how many kids were there? If all the kids had eaten only the kids' food and none of the adults', would it have been enough (even without Mr. BigAppetite?)

I'm another one who really doesn't believe in having "adults only" and "Kids only" foods. That's not to say that I'm averse to having "kid friendly" foods. But if so, I'd make as much as I would of any other dish. In other words, there should be enough of all dishes that if everyone took a reasonable amount on the first go-around, there would be more than enough.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 02:57:02 PM »

Yikes!  That's rude, not because it's the kids meal, but just rude period just as if he took 5 steaks, 7 salmon, and half the caviar from the "adult" table.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »
On reading your OP, it was the fact that he took "a lot of food" that I found wrong, whether he was taking it from the adult or kids buffet, didn't matter. With your clarification, I don't know what to think and as the hostess been pretty dumb struck wondering if we'd ended up on a "man vs food" episode.

I do think hosts need to recognize that extras need to be made if they are planning to serve a kids vs adult buffet. Once we went to a kids party and the hosts made one hot dog for each child guest and had brats for the adults. Since the kids were 4-5 it seemed reasonable amount with the extra sides. But one adult didn't realize the limit and made themselves a dog, one child dropped their hot dog, and another child had a meltdown when their mom put mustard on their dog and the child had decided to hate mustard that day. Thankfully there were enough kids who were happy to switch to a brat that eh crisis was averted.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »
Yikes, that's a lot of food for one human being.  I don't think he's rude for taking food from the "kid" table, but the amount of food taken would have left me flabbergasted.  Seriously, OP, was he checked for a hollow leg?

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »

That's where I stand too. I don't think it's necessarily wrong to serve yourself from the kids' side of the buffet, but outside of a competitive eating competition, there's no way that a first serving of food should be comprised of a half-dozen hotdogs, a half-dozen chicken fingers and a mountain of mac and cheese too.

I'm assuming that the kids were younger, which would mean that they probably had smaller appetites. My nieces are big eaters (usually) but a hotdog and a chicken finger or two each each, plus a big scoop of mac could feed them most days. On that scale, BigEater ate about four other guests' meals.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »
[I'm assuming that the kids were younger, which would mean that they probably had smaller appetites. My nieces are big eaters (usually) but a hotdog and a chicken finger or two each each, plus a big scoop of mac could feed them most days. On that scale, BigEater ate about four other guests' meals.

This is correct.  There were a number of younger kids there who are more likely to eat the kid-friendly food than the "adult" food, so the hosts were just trying to do something nice.  The hosts did provide less of the kid-friendly food than the "adult" food, but they knew all the other guests.  So they knew how many kids were likely to eat the kid-friendly food, and that the older kids and adults would be perfectly happy with the more "adult" food.  They just weren't expecting this guy. 

ETA: This guy was a boyfriend of one of the hosts' nieces.  Fortunately they broke up not long after and the family never saw the guy again. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:13:35 PM by StuffedGrapeLeaves »

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Taking Food Reserved for Kids - FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS #10
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
I don't think the host needed to make equal amounts of "adult" and "kids" food because I assume they know their friends and their eating habits.  Except of course, the eating habit of the guy who wasn't invited in the first place.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
[I'm assuming that the kids were younger, which would mean that they probably had smaller appetites. My nieces are big eaters (usually) but a hotdog and a chicken finger or two each each, plus a big scoop of mac could feed them most days. On that scale, BigEater ate about four other guests' meals.

This is correct.  There were a number of younger kids there who are more likely to eat the kid-friendly food than the "adult" food, so the hosts were just trying to do something nice.  The hosts did provide less of the kid-friendly food than the "adult" food, but they knew all the other guests.  So they knew how many kids were likely to eat the kid-friendly food, and that the older kids and adults would be perfectly happy with the more "adult" food.  They just weren't expecting this guy. 

ETA: This guy was a boyfriend of one of the hosts' nieces.  Fortunately they broke up not long after and the family never saw the guy again.

This does not surprise me at all.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

Re: Taking Food Reserved for Kids - FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS #10, #22
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »

:o Where does he put it all?? Was he sharing?

The portions you are describing are enormous and beyond what one could normally anticipate guests to eat unless perhaps they are all teenage boys, then all bets are off.  Out of interest, did he consume it all?

I didn't notice whether he shared it or consumed it all, because he took off to a corner table and didn't socialize with anyone else at the party other than his girlfriend.  He was a young man, I think maybe late teens or early 20s, so it's possible that he ate all of the food. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
Completely wrong for him to do that. What a boor.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »

If you take an amount at one trip that is clearly more than "one serving" - then you're a pig - whether you are first in line, in the middle, or at the end of the line.  Unless everyone else has made it clear that they are no longer hungry or that they are now eating dessert - some people (this may boggle a mind or two) don't LIKE sweets or don't eat desserts - this leaves more dessert for the rest of us, so don't comment on it!

It sounds like Mr. Not Invited tagged along with a real guest, ate like a pig, and behaved like a jerk (not socializing with the rest of the group at all).  Throw him into the Etiquette Hell brig (standing room only at this point) and loose the paperwork, he's not coming out!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
I think the guests rudeness was taking "a lot" of the foods, not having some of them. At any buffet party situation a person should do a quick gauge of the crowd and then at the amount of food set out and limit themselves accordingly. At a restaurant its reasonable to assume the dish will be replenished, at a party its reasonable to assume whats out is all there is.

I also would personally avoid the kids' food (and while that was not announced as "restricted only for the kids," I would certainly recognize it as "primarily intended for the kids") until it was clear that the kids had all eaten.

If you take an amount at one trip that is clearly more than "one serving" - then you're a pig - whether you are first in line, in the middle, or at the end of the line.  Unless everyone else has made it clear that they are no longer hungry or that they are now eating dessert...

CakeEater

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »
I think the guests rudeness was taking "a lot" of the foods, not having some of them. At any buffet party situation a person should do a quick gauge of the crowd and then at the amount of food set out and limit themselves accordingly. At a restaurant its reasonable to assume the dish will be replenished, at a party its reasonable to assume whats out is all there is.

I also would personally avoid the kids' food (and while that was not announced as "restricted only for the kids," I would certainly recognize it as "primarily intended for the kids") until it was clear that the kids had all eaten.

I'm going to agree here and say that I think clearly these foods were made to make it easy for the parents present to feed their kids. I'd say adults should steer clear until that function of the food has fulfilled its purpose.

Although does 19 count as a kid? Maybe.