A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Dear US, what's up with Labor Day?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: lowspark on October 01, 2013, 02:35:06 PM ---I should add that white means bright white. There is a color called "winter white" that is just slightly off white which is definitely "ok" to wear in winter.

Again, it's all arbtrary and as Two Ravens notes, totally outdated.

And I'm pretty sure it's Easter, not Memorial Day, which marks the beginnning of "ok to wear white" season. Lots of white shoes, hats, etc. get sold for that holiday.

--- End quote ---

Ah, yes, you're right about Easter, I was conflating it with the typical "season" for outdoor fun spots.

Twik:
It's simply another fashion rule. In northern areas, the nice white shoes would get taken out at Easter (or, in Canada, Victoria Day), but by summer's end, it was time to go back to darker, richer colours.

Which reminds me that the nice pale tops I have that looked so light and airy in May are now looking faded and inappropriate for the rich colours of fall, so I'd better start switching out my clothes from the cedar chest.

BarensMom:
I always heard it was Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Does anyone remember (without looking it up) who played the unfortunate juror?  I think it was that person's only appearance in a movie.

Thipu1:
As I understand it, the prohibition against wearing white after Labor Day referred to ladies wearing white shoes and carrying white purses from early September to late May. 

A friend who visited Vienna in the early 1970s had a bit of a problem. She visited in July and wore white shoes with a stylish white purse.  She spoke German and found that strange men were making indecent proposals to her when she went out shopping or sight-seeing.  A helpful clerk at her hotel tactfully clued her in that the white shoes and white bag in that time and place sent the message that she was a 'lady of the evening'. 

Luci45:
It's just a sharp deviding line between summer and autumn, and a Monday off.

It has to do with celebrating unions, which is political stuff that is not universally appreciated in the US - no opinion here.

(Lucas was born in Labor Day. If I hear one more joke about it, I may barf. His 70th just was celebrated with a nice family dinner and no mention of the "holiday".)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version