General Etiquette > Family and Children

How to handle mother? Solution #49

<< < (12/12)

NyaChan:
Congrats on finding a new job and good luck to you with your cooking!

jaxsue:

--- Quote from: Promise on October 01, 2013, 07:23:00 PM ---Most people won't find a job online. It's the face to face - giving your resume or asking to fill it out on the spot or going to the mall and applying on their in-store computer application.

--- End quote ---

IME it's the opposite. Where I live, the vast majority of places will direct you to their company's website. You fill out the forms online, then submit. At my favorite grocery store, Wegman's, you submit your resume online and there is 1 guy, who lives in PA, who makes the hiring decisions (this info from the store's manager)! Mom and pop places, yes, it's still face-to-face, but that's unusual. And with the economy and the changing healthcare standards, many of those are holding back on hiring.

*inviteseller:
Big congratulations!!!!  It took me a year to find something and I am considerably older than you wil an established skill set!  I am also glad you are learning to cook.  Even if it is simple things, it is cheaper to cook in than eat out.  You are still young and some things will come to you in time.  You sound like you are well on your way to successfully becoming a fine adult!

Phoebe:

--- Quote from: jaxsue on October 03, 2013, 03:20:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: Promise on October 01, 2013, 07:23:00 PM ---Most people won't find a job online. It's the face to face - giving your resume or asking to fill it out on the spot or going to the mall and applying on their in-store computer application.

--- End quote ---

IME it's the opposite. Where I live, the vast majority of places will direct you to their company's website. You fill out the forms online, then submit. At my favorite grocery store, Wegman's, you submit your resume online and there is 1 guy, who lives in PA, who makes the hiring decisions (this info from the store's manager)! Mom and pop places, yes, it's still face-to-face, but that's unusual. And with the economy and the changing healthcare standards, many of those are holding back on hiring.

--- End quote ---

Off-topic for a moment:  Jaxsue, that store manager isn't being honest with you for whatever reason.  I live in the Land of Wegman and have literally over two dozen relatives and friends who work for the chain in several cities/three states.  Their positions range from administration to cashier, some have been there for over 20 years and the young man across the street just started in April as a cashier.  Hiring is done on location, with paper applications, the old-fashioned way.  You *can* apply online, but it's not required by any means.

Library Dragon:

--- Quote from: jaxsue on October 03, 2013, 03:20:18 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

In many, many places when you walk in with a resume or ask to fill out an application it ends up in a file and never looked at when an opening is available.  The employer doesn't want to wade through a stack to find appropriate skills and experience then find the person isn't available.  It is much easier to require EVERYONE to submit a new application for each position.  Whether it's online or in person. 

Many online applications take more than an hour to complete.  There is one office supply store with an unexpected 30 min personality quiz.  We often have panicked patrons who's hour of time is almost up on the public computer and they haven't completed the application and it won't be saved. 

DS1 was asked to apply at one company by the department head and had the contact's name.  The HR person wasn't interested and put him in a room with 4 computer terminals to fill out the generic application.  He and the department head couldn't get him past the first hurdle of the electronic application.  DS1 decided to stay in restaurant world.

OP, I'm glad you found a job. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version