Author Topic: Tell Your Husband...  (Read 4392 times)

GSNW

Tell Your Husband...
« on: October 01, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
I've run into an annoying problem at work and need a polite phrase.

My husband and I coach one of the school's teams.  To be clear, he does the coaching (my coaching basically consists of, "get the ball!") and I manage the program's details and manage the bench during games.  This year, a new teacher has taken over the cheer squad (thank goodness).  Being that she's new to middle school athletics, she has a lot of questions - which isn't bad, and we are happy to help.

The problem comes when she has problems I don't know the answer to, things about facility use and some other things.  I have referred her several times to my DH, who does know the answers, as in, "I'm sorry but I don't know - DH will know."  I get that asking me is convenient because I'm right across the hall, but we have staff email which is easy to use. 

More recently, she has said, "I asked (your DH) but he hasn't emailed me back yet.  What is the answer?"  Well, I still don't know, and I don't think it's my job to bug him to email her back.  I've said, "I'll mention it to him," but I feel like this was probably the wrong answer because I don't want to encourage her to continue bugging me when he doesn't email her back in 4-5 hours.

What can I say politely to curb this?

Promise

Re: Tell Your Husband...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
I can see that she probably thinks you know more than you actually do. The next time she comes over you might say, "I know that you might think I know about "sport/facility issue", but I don't. I'm so glad that you are looking for an answer! However, I get frustrated when you ask me questions because I really can't help you and I don't want "issue" to come between my husband and me. Going forward, just ask him any questions that you have about that. If he doesn't respond in a day, email him back."

White Lotus

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »
"We have a division of labor.  That is his area of responsibility, and you need to ask him directly about that." Push, Push.  "This is how we handle questions to avoid confusion and mis-communications.  Please deal directly with him."  Push, Push.  "That will not be possible."

fountainof

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
If you are the manager of the team I can see why she is asking you as the managers would typically answer questions.  If you aren't required to assist her I guess I would keep telling her to ask your DH but if the team is responsible to support the Cheer Leader issues then I think you should ask your DH and relay the answers as this would be what a manager generally does.  If someone at a workplace asks their manager something, typically, the manager would then be responsible to find out rather than say "IDK, why don't you ask ...".

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 06:57:35 PM »
My husband and I both do volunteer work in different programs at our church.  I used to get this a LOT.  I am generally more responsive on email and phone, and several of the people know me better socially, so all requests for his help/answers/presence/schedule would come to me.  In my part of the world, there is also a very strong expectation that married couples share a brain, and that wives are "supposed" to be in charge of communications and scheduling.

I have a very strict policy against "voluntelling" my husband for things, learned through bitter experience.

"Sorry, I can't answer for DH.  His cell number is..." Lather, rinse, repeat.  It has taken a couple of years to train them all.
                www.ellenseltz.com

GSNW

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »
...if the team is responsible to support the Cheer Leader issues then I think you should ask your DH and relay the answers as this would be what a manager generally does.  If someone at a workplace asks their manager something, typically, the manager would then be responsible to find out rather than say "IDK, why don't you ask ...".

We're not responsible for the cheerleader issues.  Basically the only thing the teams do together is travel to games, and that's handled by our assistant principal.  Maybe I can give a more concrete example.

Question:  Do the girls have to have proof of insurance before they tryout, or only if they make the team?
Me:  I'm not sure.  Since DH is in charge of tryouts, he would know whether or not they have to have it prior to tryouts or afterwards.

Then she emails him, and when he doesn't respond in her designated timeframe, I get the, "I asked but he hasn't responded."

I don't mind her asking questions, even if I don't know the answer or have to direct her to someone that does.  I do object to her policing DH through me - I don't control his email use at work OR home.

greencat

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
I suspect that she may be asking you either in a spirit of female togetherness, or because she has had bad experiences working with a husband-and-wife team where the wife was suspicious of a another woman constantly talking to her husband, despite it being work related.  She might also have it in her head that, as you said, you manage the program's details,  so you must handle all that information-type stuff while your husband handles just the how-to-play-the-game part of things.

It would probably benefit her greatly if you and your husband spelled out exactly what each of you do for the team, so she understands who best to direct questions to.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
I think you need to ignore the fact your co-coach is your husband. Honestly, if if I ask one co-coach for an a answer and they refers me to their co-coach who doesn't respond then I can imagine asking the coach I see on a frequent basis.

If you don't want to have the responsibility of following up with your co-coach then tell her "He and I have clear decision of responsibilities. Anything to do with policy or facility use will need to be addressed directly by co-coach but I'll be happy to answer any questions about player registration or parent volunteering."

Zizi-K

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:04 PM »
...if the team is responsible to support the Cheer Leader issues then I think you should ask your DH and relay the answers as this would be what a manager generally does.  If someone at a workplace asks their manager something, typically, the manager would then be responsible to find out rather than say "IDK, why don't you ask ...".

We're not responsible for the cheerleader issues.  Basically the only thing the teams do together is travel to games, and that's handled by our assistant principal.  Maybe I can give a more concrete example.

Question:  Do the girls have to have proof of insurance before they tryout, or only if they make the team?
Me:  I'm not sure.  Since DH is in charge of tryouts, he would know whether or not they have to have it prior to tryouts or afterwards.

Then she emails him, and when he doesn't respond in her designated timeframe, I get the, "I asked but he hasn't responded."

I don't mind her asking questions, even if I don't know the answer or have to direct her to someone that does.  I do object to her policing DH through me - I don't control his email use at work OR home.

I would just play clueless/helpless. Shrug and say, "Gee I don't know, I would check with Mr. GSNW..." I would not explain any more than that, or you are opening yourself up to additional questioning.

If she says, "But I haven't heard back from him." You can just say, "Hmm, I'm not sure why, but I'm sure he'll respond. You can always try resending..."

Let the implication that you should help her get the answer just roll off your back.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »
My mom used to say (about the community theater group they founded--Dad was the director, mom the costumer and an actress), "I don't carry messages to my husband. I'm sorry--it's just my policy. I don't like to be in the middle."

And she also sometimes said, "I'm not a reliable person to carry messages to him. Please don't give me that responsibility."

Sometimes she said, "I have so many things that I *must* communicate to him that are family related, and I simply don't have the brain space to carry messages."

You might, in this transition/training time, ask your DH to speak with her to set up more organized points of contact, etc. I realize that's a bit of "carrying messages," and perhaps SHE should think of that (you could suggest it to her), but it might be an organizational thing that would set up the expectation/plan BETWEEN THE TWO OF THEM that would be valuable enough that it's worth interfering.

Otherwise, you might have a stock phrase--maybe the "cut and paste" would make her realize that she's not going to GET any other answer than, "You'll have to ask him--I don't speak for him, and I don't carry messages." And so she'll give up and go ask him.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »
In your specific example--surely the assistant principle would know?

when she has a question, you might think before answering to see if there's anyone OTHER than your DH who can answer that question.

cwm

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »
When she emails you, respond do her and CC your husband clearly.

"CheerCoach, I don't know the answer to your question, so I'm forwarding it on to Mr. GSNW, he's the person you need to talk to. I'm sure he'll get back to you as soon as he's able."

Do this every time. It will reinforce to her that you are not the person to ask, and it may let your husband know how many of these questions you're getting on a regular basis, so he may be persuaded to respond sooner. At the very least, they'll both be aware that you are not a middleman and will not be available to pass messages along.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »

If asked again, I would say, "I really don't know  That's solely his job.  Try emailing him again. " with a smile and walk away.  Whatever you do don't offer to remind him to check his email etc.  Keep a complete hands off on it.

But if your husband is normally slow in answering emails, I might privately tell him to please check his emails more frequently.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »
"You'll have to email [Husband] about that - it's not really my field."

One of my friends had to do this to me a while back - I was thinking of her and her husband as a social unit, so I didn't realize how often I saw her and it reminded me of something I needed to ask him about (usually for a hobby group he and I share but she has no interest in).  I had just gotten in the habit of seeing her and saying "What does your husband do with X?" or "Could you ask your husband Y?"

It stung a bit that she had to ask me to knock it off, but mostly that was because I was embarrassed to have been doing it in the first place  :-[

fountainof

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »
I think it is interesting as a previous poster mentioned to consider how you would address it if the co-coach weren't your spouse.  Would you nag that other coach to respond, get the answer yourself and respond or just forward all the emails to the other coach to address and wash your hands of it?

I have never done such a volunteer position and you do indicate your assistance is voluntary so in that case I would just forward the emails with a CC to the sender saying Co-Coach can answer this.  I would limit any reference to saying your husband and just use his name instead.