A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

US - Do teachers get paid in Summer holidays?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Outdoor Girl:
When my Dad first started teaching in 1954 (I think), he got paid once a month, at the end of the month.  So when he got his cheque at the end of June, he wouldn't get paid again until the end of September.  Which was tough.  My Mom was a school nurse so she got paid the same way.  They used to work at summer camps to help make ends meet, even after my brother and I were born.

Now?  Most school boards in this area spread the money over 12 months and pay the teachers and other staff every two weeks.

Luci45:
Teachers in our district were on contract and in the early 70's were paid for 9 months - budgeting was kind of scary for an young family living close to the vest, but we did it. Then we were on crontract but paid on a 13 pay cycle per year. Kind of cool. I didn't have budget any more and it felt we were getting an extra paycheck.

Lucas taught math and physics, I worked nights in data processing for an insurance company, then was a school librarian. Since we didn't have to be at school in the summer, Lucas worked for a moving company and I worked for summer school. We did any extra duty we could - he worked lunch hours and fan bus, I worked EvenStart and any other special government grants I was offered.

It was tight, but we got the kids through college with no student debt by careful management and have retired comfortablly. A 950 sq ft home, no basement, a nice road trip vacation every couple of years were enough to make us happy. We look better now, but the same amount of income.

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on October 01, 2013, 09:22:56 PM ---When my Dad first started teaching in 1954 (I think), he got paid once a month, at the end of the month.  So when he got his cheque at the end of June, he wouldn't get paid again until the end of September.  Which was tough.  My Mom was a school nurse so she got paid the same way.  They used to work at summer camps to help make ends meet, even after my brother and I were born.

Now?  Most school boards in this area spread the money over 12 months and pay the teachers and other staff every two weeks.

--- End quote ---

Pretty much the same for my parents. Dad taught Industrial Arts (Woodworking and mechanical drawing - now computerized!). Summers, Dad worked construction. Mom was a sub until 1955 when she went back full time. First as an office machines teacher (typing), then as an English/Literature teacher. Again, tiny house, some vacations, sent us through college. They started on the 12/13 pay period thing about the same time Lucas did.

alkira6:
I get paid a base salary and it is spread across 26 pay periods so that I get paid every 2 weeks.  I also work a 6 week stint in summer school and Saturday school during the year. This year I've also added in virtual school (online courses) and after school computer lab/tutoring time. All of the extras I get paid for once a month.

Sharnita:
Yeah, the reality is that you just defer some of your pay. In most cases you have the option of 21 or 26 pays, assuming you are in a district where there is summer vacation.

There was a district in Michigan that basically went bankrupt last spring and the teachers who had opted for year round pay ended up never getting the summer money for work already done because the district was disolved.

Lynnv:
As others have said-yes and no.

No-DH is not paid for the 2 months in the summer when he isn't teaching.  His contract is for 10 months and that is what he gets paid for.

Yes-he does receive a paycheck those months because his pay for the 10 month contract year is spread out over the full calendar year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version