Author Topic: Can't search? Any idea why not?  (Read 1677 times)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
Can't search? Any idea why not?
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:16:13 PM »
Any time that I've tried recently, I get a message along the lines of "you are not permitted to search in this forum".

I don't think that I've been a bad girl...... :-\.........any answers?

squeakers

Re: Can't search? Any idea why not?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:36:21 AM »
It was supposed to be back (being able to search) but...

anyway this recent thread has tips on how to search from outside the forum: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=129312.0
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:46:19 AM »
I just google with the terms etiquette hell (insert search term here)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »
thanks, will give "outside search" a try.

Asharah

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »
Is this EVER going to be fixed. It's been two months already.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Asharah

Curious Cat

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 12:36:24 PM »
Is this EVER going to be fixed. It's been two months already.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

This seems not only like an over reaction but really rude to the mods who, I'm sure, are doing everything in their power to fix the situation.  As prior posters pointed out there are other ways of searching, why not give that a try?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »

This seems not only like an over reaction but really rude to the mods who, I'm sure, are doing everything in their power to fix the situation.  As prior posters pointed out there are other ways of searching, why not give that a try?

And I believe it was mentioned that it could have contributed to the board being unavailable at certain times.  This board has run beautifully since the big fix and I much rather do without the search and keep the board the way it is.  Even when it was working, I still used google to search this site.  It was easier to use anyhow.

veronaz

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »
This board has run beautifully since the big fix

Actually, quite a few people have ongoing connectivity problems (as posted in another thread).   Iím not sure what, if anything, that has with using the (currently unavailable) search function.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »
This board has run beautifully since the big fix

Actually, quite a few people have ongoing connectivity problems (as posted in another thread).   Iím not sure what, if anything, that has with using the (currently unavailable) search function.

Ooh I hadn't read that.  I only had the board unavailable issue in the mornings for a long time and just recently after the fix, I have had zero issues.  I remember the Dame saying that they thought possibly that the search might contribute to the "unavailability" issue and was going to do a bunch of other stuff.  But my answer is the same, if leaving off search helps the board, I personally would be fine with it. 

Off to read the other thread!

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »

I understand your frustration but complaining about it doesn't help and only makes you look like a whiner. A much better approach, should you think it's been forgotten about or are curious about an update, is to inquire politely.

And no, I don't have any info.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »

Hello,
This is me inquiring politely about an update on the search feature. It is still quite broken where I sit - be that on my phone, or on various PC's.
Thanks.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
I have no idea when the search function will be fixed. Jeanne will update us, I assume.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 04:44:13 PM »

Thanks! I hadn't heard anything in a while and was worried it was user error.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem