Author Topic: Pregnancy question  (Read 3025 times)

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
Re: Pregnancy question
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 09:38:29 AM »
"I'm great, but thank you for your concern."

I've been using this one a bit at the gym myelf  ;)

Eden

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »
This is totally up to her and certainly not required by etiquette, but similar to a previous poster's exercise instructor, she could embrace the opportunity and make a point to talk up the benefits of an active pregnancy. "Because I've always been so active, I'm able to keep doing XYZ. It's helped me deal with my joint pain. I just have to modify in such and such way." Etc. The truth is being active before CAN make for an easier pregnancy, though it doesn't guarantee it. And staying active throughout often means a faster/ easier recovery.

As far as the "boy you've really popped" that's not unique to her as an instructor. Every pregnant woman gets those comments. I'm with others that you just ignore or make some sort of non-commital noise. "Mmmhmm."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »
I would just smile at the ones that comment innocuously on her pregnancy. It might be annoying, especially after the fortieth time you've heard it that day, but it's just what people do. Might as well try to stop the tide with a pile of logs.

I would address, "Should you be doing that?" The more people hear that exercise is good for pregnancy and everything surrounding it, the sooner those misconceptions will go away. And she's in a position where it's already perfectly acceptable for her to teach people a bit about the human body and health. She can still be nice about it, of course, but I would say something like, "As long as your body is already used to the exercise, it's actually good for you to continue to work out--even working out hard. It usually means an easier pregnancy, an easier delivery, and an easier recovery, not to mention all the mental and emotional benefits."

I like this approach.

One other thought on the "the more people know, the sooner the misconceptions will go away" front:
There -are- some changes in the female body that might limit exercise (if I'm remembering this right)--the connective tissues loosen so that delivery will be easier, and this affect the whole body, so there might be some extreme stretching moves that are risky -for the mother-. So if she *is* actually changing her routine or movement, she can provide that info as well.

Maybe treat those "should you be doing that?" comments as though it's a request for information. "Oh, sure, the baby's well protected, and I'm already fit, so this actually feels good!"

sweetonsno

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »
My response to the "you're really showing" comments would be "Yeah, I know... it's like there's a whole 'nother person in there!"

I love this! I'm going to file it away for later use.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 04:32:44 PM »
I would just smile at the ones that comment innocuously on her pregnancy. It might be annoying, especially after the fortieth time you've heard it that day, but it's just what people do. Might as well try to stop the tide with a pile of logs.

I would address, "Should you be doing that?" The more people hear that exercise is good for pregnancy and everything surrounding it, the sooner those misconceptions will go away. And she's in a position where it's already perfectly acceptable for her to teach people a bit about the human body and health. She can still be nice about it, of course, but I would say something like, "As long as your body is already used to the exercise, it's actually good for you to continue to work out--even working out hard. It usually means an easier pregnancy, an easier delivery, and an easier recovery, not to mention all the mental and emotional benefits."

I like this approach.

One other thought on the "the more people know, the sooner the misconceptions will go away" front:
There -are- some changes in the female body that might limit exercise (if I'm remembering this right)--the connective tissues loosen so that delivery will be easier, and this affect the whole body, so there might be some extreme stretching moves that are risky -for the mother-. So if she *is* actually changing her routine or movement, she can provide that info as well.

Maybe treat those "should you be doing that?" comments as though it's a request for information. "Oh, sure, the baby's well protected, and I'm already fit, so this actually feels good!"

Yes, your ligaments loosen, so you have to be very careful with things like yoga. "Listen to your body" is a good rule of thumb for exercise during pregnancy, except when it comes to stretching; your body might not tell you when you're stretching too much. So yeah, that's a good point.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Green Bean

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 08:20:39 PM »
My response to the "you're really showing" comments would be "Yeah, I know... it's like there's a whole 'nother person in there!"

:)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »
I'm not sure if the laws change from state to state, but in my state fitness instructors and personal trainers are a licensed trade. People who do this work have to have specific training and education and pass a test in order to become certified. And this is because these people are in a position to educate their clients/students. So in a way I actually think she is being a bit negligent to not take the lead on preemptively educating the gym folks. She should be proactive in discussing the realities of exercise and pregnancy, and she should be proactive in educating her clients/students.

As for the "wow you've popped" comments... that's par for the course with pregnancy. And really its to be expected. As a currently pregnant woman myself even I'm surprised by it. Normally people just don't put on 15-30 pounds in just a few months, usually people gain weight slowly. And when people do just gain weight, its usually spread out, vs pregnancy which really puts the bulk of it all at the belly. It is amazing to see even if not shocking.

EllenS

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »

I love this! I'm going to file it away for later use.

Love this. 

I think the Universe sends us these people, so we get used to answering the same inane question ten million times without killing someone.  Because two years from now, she will need that skill at home.  ;D

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 03:32:00 AM »
I'm pregnant and a regular at my gym. As I go to an all women's gym during the day, I meet a lot of older ladies who are all fascinated by my pregnancy and thrilled about the thought of another baby to coo over soon.

They comment a lot, ask what I can do, how I'm feeling, tell me I'm radiant/big/small/have popped out/will get much bigger soon/whatever and I smile and say "thank you". I do talk about how it's up to each mom and their doctor and trainer to figure out what is allowed and/or recommended as i figure it's good to get the word out there (a few daughter-in-laws might profit, too) and my Pilates trainer is great at answering any questions posed while she's in the room.

I'd advice the PT - who, as others have mentioned, is a professional and whose body is in fact one of her tools - to be open about the risks and lack thereof of sports during pregnancy and ignore/bean dip comments she doesn't welcome.
A quick smile and thank you usually deals with it perfectly, most people will move on to other subjects after that. Or maybe my belly just isn't that fascinating after all  ;)

cwm

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 02:34:47 PM »
I think that the response to the first part really depends on who she's talking to. The response will be basically the same, but the tone really carries it. Let her know that her doctor is onboard with her exercise plan. If it's just someone who's casually asking or geneuinely curious, a warm tone is super easy to carry off. If someone is trying to tell her that she shouldn't be doing X, Y, or Z, then a cool tone works well.

As far as the popping comments, I like what a PP said about that's what happens when you're growing another person.

figee

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
Thank you all very much!  I directed her to the thread, and she's going to go with 'Thank you!' with a big smile, although I can also see her going with the 'whole other person' response, especially with her family.  As for the others, she's managing them.  I think she just finds it frustrating that she can talk about it in class or in sessions and then people who have heard the explanation still come up and ask her if she's sure she's OK.  At that point I think she gets a bit over it.   ;D