Author Topic: When the Big Boss is Delusional Regarding Your Skill Sets...  (Read 6004 times)

Yarnspinner

When the Big Boss is Delusional Regarding Your Skill Sets...
« on: October 02, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »
Well, I guess I had better get my act together and find another job somewhere because Stonecold has gone completely off her rocker.

Stonecold is on a Machiavellian quest right now.  As far as we can tell, she looked at how well we finally figured out how to cope with her last set of curve balls and said to herself "You know what this well oiled machine needs?  Sand tossed into the gears."

She proceeded to do just that by taking people who are good at their jobs and sticking them in other areas where they are shakier.  Beloved children's librarians are now managers of buildings, the branch directors have been tossed into collection development.  Librarians on the bottom tier find themselves working waaaaaay out of classification as branch directors.  (I have no doubt that we have added to the 50 grievances our union already ignores.)  We have junior librarians still in school dictating schedules to long time professionals.  You get the idea.

And then there is me.  Stonecold has somehow gotten the idea that I am a master toymaker and puppeteer.  She tells everyone how I am being wasted as an acquistions and film librarian.  She has told the gal put in charge of "staff development" that she wants to see me putting together a toy and puppet library...and she wants me to MAKE those toys and puppets because I have such mad skills in that area.

People have been saying to me "I didn't know you had a fine arts degree in puppetry" to which I reply "I didn't know that, either."

I do not know what the heck she is going on about.  I made one (count it, ONE) cloth doll for a former coworker.  Granted it was The Vampire LeStat and it looked impressive to the untrained eye.  But it also took me six months to make because of my lack of skill. 

I use hand puppets when I am reading a book to little ones.  All the hand puppets have the same personality:  they are silent trouble makers who will suddenly stick their heads over the pages so I can't read the words and thus make the kids laugh.

If there is anything close to performing arts that I do, it is story telling.  Every year I tell ghost stories for one of the branch Halloween parties.  That's pretty much it.

But Stoney is going on about how I MUST create a library of puppets and so forth and so on.

Several of my supervisors have tried to disabuse her of the notion, but she is adamant that I must use my skills to create puppets and toys for the library.  I have no idea what to say to her.  If I tell her that I do not have these skills, she will simply say I am lying to make her look bad.  If I flat out refuse to try and make puppets she will tell people I am a meanie racist who is refusing to do as she asks because I don't like working for an ethnic woman.  And if I do it and screw up, eventually it will lead to her claiming that I mislead her by lying about my abilities and she will make my life (and everyone else's lives) even more miserable.

My union stewards are aware of this, but they are up against a union that has ignored our problems for sometime and continue to do so.  This probably goes waaaay beyond etiquette, but how do I break the news to Stonecold that I am not the girl she imagines me to be?

yellowpaint

Re: When the Big Boss is Delusional Regarding Your Skill Sets...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
Perhaps she is seeing how far she can push things before she gets fired with a nice big fat settlement.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:15:08 PM »
Methinks you guys need a new union. And don't bother trying to break the news to Stonecold, she's just going to ignore you anyway.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »
Seems like the easy way out is to ask her what your budget is and let her know that as soon as you have the money in hand, you can start figuring out what you can do with the collection.  Since the money she promises never arrives, you can always keep putting it back on her when the puppet/toy collection isn't done yet.  ("Oh, that?  I thought you cancelled it, because I never had any funds allocated!")  And if by some miracle you do manage to get the funds, you can figure out how many commercial puppets/toys you can buy for that price and present it that way.  I'll give you 20-1 odds it would never get that far.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
Aren't you counting the days until retirement?   

When I saw your post in the PD thread, I noticed it was library management being stupid, and I immediately look at who the poster was (you). 

If you are willing to move to a nice area in North Texas, we truly have a lovely library filled with happy smiling librarians. 

But, otherwise I think that the only thing you can do is document in some official capacity that you can't make puppets.  Although getting a doctor to sign something that you can't use a needle would be helpful too. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
Seems like the easy way out is to ask her what your budget is and let her know that as soon as you have the money in hand, you can start figuring out what you can do with the collection.  Since the money she promises never arrives, you can always keep putting it back on her when the puppet/toy collection isn't done yet.  ("Oh, that?  I thought you cancelled it, because I never had any funds allocated!")  And if by some miracle you do manage to get the funds, you can figure out how many commercial puppets/toys you can buy for that price and present it that way.  I'll give you 20-1 odds it would never get that far.

You are a genius.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »
Oh, I love this idea.

Put together a complete proposal of the cost of materials to make puppets, a cost of a third party building a puppet theater and a timeline of how long it will take you to make the puppets (1 puppet equals 60 manhours so 10 puppets will be 15 weeks.) Add your fulltime 15 week labor to the cost and ask for her to sign off on the entire cost proposal and you'll be happy to get started.

Firecat

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
If you have such things, you might also consider checking with whoever handles legal and insurance type issues for your library system. Because while I'm in no way a lawyer, it does seem like handmade toys might present some risks from that perspective  if kids are actually going to be playing with them. So that might be another way to shut Stonecold down on this one.

LadyL

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »

POD. I will add that whatever strengths you do actually have, run with them so you can't be accused of not putting in effort. Have Storybook Time frequently with those charmingly devious puppets interrupting. Have a whole month of "Scary Stories with Yarnspinner" even if you look half of them up on the internet. Those things at least sound like fun, and if they get repetitive and people stop coming you can turn it around on Stonecold: "So I put together a daily puppet-assisted reading circle but no one has attended for the last week. How else would you like me to use my puppetry skills?"

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
Another thought; do you have a written position description? Seems like that might be outside of your required duties and you could insist it be added, along with appropriate training in puppet and doll making from an accredited institution since these items will be for use in a public library.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »
It seems that Stonecold is horrifically inadequate to be in an executive position of any kind.  It also seems that everyone who works there is thoroughly fed up with her shenanigans.  Doesn't she have a boss?  Can you all get together and sign a petition of some kind and give it to him/her or even the Board of Directors? 

She's going to destroy the place.  Is that what the PTB want to happen?   ???

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:45:03 PM »
When I was a youngster my sis & friends and I made a whole set of marionettes, a stage, and wrote a play for them to perform.  The library would not let us perform it at the library.  Was Stone by any chance transferred to your library from ours several years ago???

edited for typo
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:54:54 PM by ITSJUSTME »

nayberry

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »
why do i feel that stoney is either playing scrabble with someone powerful and therefore gets to do whatever she wants or she knows someone powerful has played scrabble away from home and is using it as a "persuasion" option?

LeveeWoman

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
why do i feel that stoney is either playing scrabble with someone powerful and therefore gets to do whatever she wants or she knows someone powerful has played scrabble away from home and is using it as a "persuasion" option?

I've come to conclude either that or she has some equally powerful dirt on someone. This woman is the most toxic person I've read about here.

nyoprinces

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 04:00:35 PM »
It seems like the best/only way to deal with it might be to just treat it as the hilarious joke it is. "Haha, Stoney, what a funny thing to say. I don't know where anyone would get the idea that I could make toys. I wonder how such a strange rumor got started! I did that one doll for fun, and it was so time-consuming and expensive, now I know why people buy mass-produced toys."