Author Topic: When the Big Boss is Delusional Regarding Your Skill Sets...  (Read 5093 times)

White Lotus

Re: When the Big Boss is Delusional Regarding Your Skill Sets...
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »
My question -- Yarnspinner, would you LIKE to develop a doll, puppet and toy collection?  Would you LIKE to do puppet shows?  If you would, then do the budget as suggested and include some professional puppets, and classes to teach you how, and workshops on puppet, doll and toy making led by real experts for the library patrons, and even do some where the participants make two -- one for the library collection and one to take home.  I mean, if this sounds fun to you, run with it, but do make sure you include in that proposed program budget and plan presented to Stoney to sign off on, instruction to make you competent for the job, and experts to actually do things until you are -- actually this sounds like it could be a fun program.  It IS going to cost however, and I doubt the budget will ever get approved or paid, so you can toss it back to her, but if you submit the proposal and budget for a real program you can get behind and which will add to your skills -- well, if it happens it will be something you can live with and make work.

kansha

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »
sounds like she's expected to do all this skilled handcrafting both at her own expense and own time on TOP of her 'regular' work duties.  e-hell NO... >:(

Yarnspinner

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
Slartibart, I think you may have met Stonecold!  My immediate bosses have told me not to worry about it as she isn't likely to part with a red cent for any kind of materials.  (She always tells people "Buy it and we will reimburse you" to which most people have replied "I am not buying so much as a stick of gum until I have the funds to purchase it.")

Gramma Dishes, we have tried to pry her out of here for five years.  Despite firing of staff who were long time and favorite staff members with patrons, despite public outcry when she turned a neighborhood lilbrary into a teens only center (that no teens go to, but which had been popular with Seniors and children), despite a whole spate of really poor decisions in spending money (if I were to recount it all here, I think some people might even KNOW who I was talking about), despite always being absent when someone important was visiting, despite NEVER being in her office...the list goes on...despite ALL of this, the Library Board has decided to stick collective fingers in their collective ears and hum loudly.

Oh, they KNOW they screwed up.  One of them has even said so out loud....but they keep praising her to the newspapers and, sadly, we have a good idea why.  At one board meeting, a staff member who still believes Stoney hung the moon declared before one and all that we only picked on her because, yes, she was a different race and we couldn't stand to see a woman of color get ahead. (This was a big surprise to the black members of staff.)

We're pretty sure the board is afraid she will sue or tell secrets they have covered up in one way or another.  But we cannot prove it. 

And, Levee and Nayberry also have a good insight...there was a great deal of scuttlebutt about Stoney and someone else's spouse--who happened to be the son of  the head of the Labor Board to whom we have to appeal.  There's been what I was told was a messy divorce with Stoney and HER spouse as well.
There has even been a police investigation since significant items of worth went missing....but nothing came of it even though we KNOW (from an inside source) that there was evidence of foul play.  But this chick is made of teflon. 

I worry that these tales sound way embellished and hyperbolic.  Although I have changed certain details, things happen exactly as described.  A member of this board once sent me a PM and told me Stonecold's real name (and told me things would only get worse because Stonecold is loco), which gave me pause about posting here since I clearly hadn't covered up as well as I thought.

Oh, and Nyo...I'm actually waiting to find her so I can say (as a coworker suggested)  "What's this about me running a puppy library?  Are we going to be loaning animals out to people?  How will that work?"

Yeah, I am counting down the days to retirement, but until I can pay down some huge debts or find someone gullible enough to buy my condo....I'm slightly stuck.

Didn't mean to get so off track there.  Will keep you posted. 

Could I get out of this on psychological disability?  Because marionettes are right up there with clowns on my "I am scared spitless of these things" list.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
To answer White Lotus and Kansha--I have NO idea what is involved or what she thinks is involved.  Truthfully, it sounds like a really fun project and one I could get behind...but I have no idea what Stoney is thinking.  I can say from past experience it would go like this:  "Hi, Lily.  Please start a puppet library."
"But what do you mean by that?" "Make it mean what you want it to mean.  Be your own boss!  You are the expert, not me."  So I will go ahead and get simple patterns and have her buy me a sewing machine and make up a budget and she will purchase a woodworking lathe and say "And we need a puppet theater made from marble.  Make sure you hire XYZ as a caterer so we can really make this a BIG event next week."

Remember the old joke about dairy farming in different government settings?  "Capitalism: you have two cows, you sell the milk to the store and they charge three times as much.  Communism: you have two cows, the government takes both of them but wants you to continue giving milk to your neighbor. "  It goes on like that for a while until you reach "Surrealism:  you have two cows, the government requires you to get a giraffe and a zebra instead and you have to take kazoo lessons with them."

Surrealism.  That's what life under Stonecold is like.

bonyk

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
My union (different field) has been telling us to comply with ridiculous requests, and file grievances later.

So get it in writing, and make the puppets!  Have fun if you can.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »
I worry that these tales sound way embellished and hyperbolic.  Although I have changed certain details, things happen exactly as described.  A member of this board once sent me a PM and told me Stonecold's real name (and told me things would only get worse because Stonecold is loco), which gave me pause about posting here since I clearly hadn't covered up as well as I thought.

I figure I'm good with the "security by obscurity" thing - I've made thousands of posts and although I've mentioned my children's names, my hometown, my occupation, my last name, and other identifying information here, I've never done it all in one post :-P  Someone trying to track me down would either have to sort through hours and hours worth of fluff or they'd have to be a regular here who remembers a bunch about me.  And the chances of someone who would be offended at my posts (MIL?) happening to link up with a regular poster here are pretty slim, I'm hoping . . .

gollymolly2

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »
I think that people (myself included) often get comfortable at jobs, after a while. And they like doing certain tasks and doing those tasks a certain way. And so when someone comes in to change things, it can be frustrating.

But the truth is, you're an employee, not a manager. Stonecold has been chosen to manage this place. And although you're clearly not happy with the job he's doing, somebody is happy with it, because they've kept him around for a while.

What good does it to do to be bothered by all his decisions? I can't imagine it brings you happiness. He has assigned you a task that is outside your wheelhouse. Okay. He's allowed to do that. Try it out. Maybe it'll be something you actually really like. Maybe it'll be something you stink at, and he'll let you off the hook.  It just doesn't seem like that negative a situation.

I think that should be the etiquette of a boss assigning you something outside your skill set. Is it a skill that you can't reasonably pick up through selfteaching or trial/error? Is it an activity that is dangerous or otherwise inappropriate? No? Then try it and see how it goes.

BarensMom

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
Gee, Golly Molly, you're being rather judgmental of Yarnspinner, especially in light of the ridiculousness that Stonecold has subjected Yarnspinner and her co-workers to over the years.  Haven't you read the other threads about Stonecold?

In Yarnspinner's shoes, I wouldn't put ONE RED CENT of my personal money towards Stonecold's latest flight of fancy, because it'll be like flushing it down the toilet when Stonecold refuses to reimburse.  It'll be "I never told you to do that!  I would never agree to pay for puppets." 

Yes, Stonecold is the big boss, but demanding that someone to put forth personal resources with (historically) no expectation of reimbursement is asinine.

gollymolly2

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 08:31:55 PM »
I honestly didn't mean to be judgmental, and I apologize that it came off that way. 

I meant my post in the broadly applicable sense. Lots of people don't like our jobs and/or bosses. Totally understandable that YS doesn't like hers. But to me that really doesn't change what I think the approach should be when a boss gives you a new assignment, whether from an etiquette standpoint or a career success standpoint or a personal happiness standpoint: you should try it out before getting upset about it.

Agreed that she shouldn't spend her own money on this project. My take from the OP was that she was mad she got assigned this project at all, not because of the potential personal expenses.

ETA: and yes I have read the previous posts. I nonetheless disagree with your position. That seems fine and normal - and indeed the whole purpose of posting questions to large groups of strangers : to get different perspectives.  My personal perception of these threads is that because YS doesn't like some things SC has done, she occasionally reacts overly negatively to more innocuous requests. I think this is such a case. You're free to disagree with me and I welcome your viewpoint. I don't think it's useful to drop a "gee" and accuse me of being judgmental because I've reached a different opinion.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:40:00 PM by gollymolly2 »

LeveeWoman

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
I honestly didn't mean to be judgmental, and I apologize that it came off that way. 

I meant my post in the broadly applicable sense. Lots of people don't like our jobs and/or bosses. Totally understandable that YS doesn't like hers. But to me that really doesn't change what I think the approach should be when a boss gives you a new assignment, whether from an etiquette standpoint or a career success standpoint or a personal happiness standpoint: you should try it out before getting upset about it.

Agreed that she shouldn't spend her own money on this project. My take from the OP was that she was mad she got assigned this project at all, not specifically because of the potential personal expenses.

Do you know the history of this woman? Yarnspinner gave a very abbreviated  history of Stonecold in her post at 2:42 today. But, there's much more to it than that. Much, much more.

BarensMom

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »
Can't speak for Yarnspinner, but I'd bet a buck that what she's bothered about is that Stonecold has a misconception that, based on a one-off gift, Yarnspinner is a gifted puppet master, and woe betide any attempts to enlighten her on the subject.  Add the known history of this particular boss, and it's a no-win situation.

The best thing to do is to request funding for the project.  It'll wither and die on the vine as Stonecold goes traipsing off after the next "shiny."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
Stonecold in pursuit of the latest shiny - yep, that's her modus operandi. 

And no one is supposed to go looking for the antique books that got tossed out to make room for the entire 50 Shades of Gray collection - with twelve copies of each, because, you know, our patrons just LOVE this series.  And nobody was using those old courthouse records from the 18th & 19th centuries for anything important, nobody is really interested in that historical and genealogy stuff anyway....it's all nonsense, a psychic told me so just before telling me that I was descended from Joan of Arc and the Dauphin of France! 

Sorry - Evil tapped into Stonecold's psychic hot line and got some information - just in case, she paraphrased it, so nobody can claim that she plagiarized anything!

She also says that somebody got into her absinthe and a quart is missing....what does Stony's breath smell like?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

squeakers

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 01:49:33 AM »

Agreed that she shouldn't spend her own money on this project. My take from the OP was that she was mad she got assigned this project at all, not specifically because of the potential personal expenses.

Do you know the history of this woman? Yarnspinner gave a very abbreviated  history of Stonecold in her post at 2:42 today. But, there's much more to it than that. Much, much more.

I've read his history and agree with gollymolly2.  All Yarnspinner will have to do is wait for Stonecold to ask her where the puppets etc are.  And she can say "I was waiting for the money."  Money to buy puppets and props.  What? Even if SC _thinks_ YS has to spend her own money and time building the stuff doesn't mean YS has to.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

greencat

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 02:09:36 AM »
Document everything.  Put it in writing that you do not have the skills to do x, y, and z, which are outside your job description, and would need training at $$$ in order to complete tasks A, B, and C.  You additionally need an estimated budget of $$$$$$ for materials and extra staff time.

I would also suggest taking up the conflict of interest that the Labor Board seems to be experiencing with whoever is over them - an outside investigation may help matters considerably.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
Seems like the easy way out is to ask her what your budget is and let her know that as soon as you have the money in hand, you can start figuring out what you can do with the collection.  Since the money she promises never arrives, you can always keep putting it back on her when the puppet/toy collection isn't done yet.  ("Oh, that?  I thought you cancelled it, because I never had any funds allocated!")  And if by some miracle you do manage to get the funds, you can figure out how many commercial puppets/toys you can buy for that price and present it that way.  I'll give you 20-1 odds it would never get that far.

This.  This is how i would handle it.

Sorry you're having still more Stonecold trouble, YS!  I'm sending good thoughts and a virtual cookie your way!!