Author Topic: When the Big Boss is Delusional Regarding Your Skill Sets...  (Read 6059 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: When the Big Boss is Delusional Regarding Your Skill Sets...
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
Document everything.  Put it in writing that you do not have the skills to do x, y, and z, which are outside your job description, and would need training at $$$ in order to complete tasks A, B, and C.  You additionally need an estimated budget of $$$$$$ for materials and extra staff time.

I would also suggest taking up the conflict of interest that the Labor Board seems to be experiencing with whoever is over them - an outside investigation may help matters considerably.

Actually... who is above the Board in the chain of command?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »
I honestly didn't mean to be judgmental, and I apologize that it came off that way. 

I meant my post in the broadly applicable sense. Lots of people don't like our jobs and/or bosses. Totally understandable that YS doesn't like hers. But to me that really doesn't change what I think the approach should be when a boss gives you a new assignment, whether from an etiquette standpoint or a career success standpoint or a personal happiness standpoint: you should try it out before getting upset about it.

Agreed that she shouldn't spend her own money on this project. My take from the OP was that she was mad she got assigned this project at all, not specifically because of the potential personal expenses.

Do you know the history of this woman? Yarnspinner gave a very abbreviated  history of Stonecold in her post at 2:42 today. But, there's much more to it than that. Much, much more.

I've read his history and agree with gollymolly2.  All Yarnspinner will have to do is wait for Stonecold to ask her where the puppets etc are.  And she can say "I was waiting for the money."  Money to buy puppets and props.  What? Even if SC _thinks_ YS has to spend her own money and time building the stuff doesn't mean YS has to.

Her history - not his, please.  The old "Dragnet" disclaimer applies to a lot of Etiquette Hell submissions - "The names have been changed to protect the innocent, etc." 

Granted, Stonecold may not be innocent, but many of the patrons and the staff working under her direction PROBABLY are.  Unless one of them is the one who took the hypothetical blackmail photos of a higher up and let Stoney get her hands on them. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »
Okay, you guys are hearing this before my supervisors...Stonecold finally caught up with me and said "You make puppets and teach puppetry don't you?"

Since this was point blank, I felt I could say "No, I don't.  I do a lot of story telling, but I don't teach it."

"Oh for goodness sake!  Why did I think you do puppetry?  I've been telling everyone!"

"Oh," said I "You are thinking of that doll I made for Sally.  I can sew but not well and it took me months."

"Oh.  That must be it."  She kind of slapped herself in the head.  "Well, they are still going to need you in Children's to help out with the kids coming in who can't get to the government run daycare centers until after the shutdown."

I told her I was sure my supervisors would be glad to help out and that I would get in touch with the head of Children's to remind her that I was available.

Then she told me something that she really needs to tell my supervisors on a completely different topic and walked off smiling.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
That's surprising!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Yarnspinner

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 02:01:44 PM »
You're telling me!  I have been giving myself stomach aches over this and now she's singing a new song.  Tomorrow it's likely to be a different tune.  I was expecting a meltdown since she already had one over someone else's inability to do whatever it was she thought they did.  AND she just had a fight with City Hall over something else they won't let her do. 

I've said it before, I will say it again:  this place is two melted clocks and one cattle skull short of a Dali painting.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
Document everything.  Put it in writing that you do not have the skills to do x, y, and z, which are outside your job description, and would need training at $$$ in order to complete tasks A, B, and C.  You additionally need an estimated budget of $$$$$$ for materials and extra staff time.

I would also suggest taking up the conflict of interest that the Labor Board seems to be experiencing with whoever is over them - an outside investigation may help matters considerably.

Actually... who is above the Board in the chain of command?

At the moment?  No one knows.  They had promised to become an elected board some years ago if they got a concession from the mayor.  Concessions came thru, but they refused to make the change.

audrey1962

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 02:04:45 PM »
At the moment?  No one knows.  They had promised to become an elected board some years ago if they got a concession from the mayor.  Concessions came thru, but they refused to make the change.

Your board isn't elected? Ugh. Are they appointed by the mayor then?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »
You're telling me!  I have been giving myself stomach aches over this and now she's singing a new song.  Tomorrow it's likely to be a different tune.  I was expecting a meltdown since she already had one over someone else's inability to do whatever it was she thought they did.  AND she just had a fight with City Hall over something else they won't let her do. 

I've said it before, I will say it again:  this place is two melted clocks and one cattle skull short of a Dali painting.

Wonder how hard it would be to get two melted clocks and a cattle skull into a display for Halloween?  They both sound a bit scary....

And you could grin like Jerry Lewis every time you saw them!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
I think that you ought to take everybody's union dues and use them to hire a private investigator.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 06:59:27 PM »
I think that you ought to take everybody's union dues and use them to hire a private investigator.

To hell with the PI; I'd go straight to hit man.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Poppea

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 08:06:58 PM »
Ha ha I know exactly what management book from the 1980s Stonecold just finished reading.  "Cross-training" is the buzzword. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:29:55 PM by Poppea »

greencat

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 08:49:21 PM »
Okay, you guys are hearing this before my supervisors...Stonecold finally caught up with me and said "You make puppets and teach puppetry don't you?"

Since this was point blank, I felt I could say "No, I don't.  I do a lot of story telling, but I don't teach it."

"Oh for goodness sake!  Why did I think you do puppetry?  I've been telling everyone!"

"Oh," said I "You are thinking of that doll I made for Sally.  I can sew but not well and it took me months."

"Oh.  That must be it."  She kind of slapped herself in the head.  "Well, they are still going to need you in Children's to help out with the kids coming in who can't get to the government run daycare centers until after the shutdown."

I told her I was sure my supervisors would be glad to help out and that I would get in touch with the head of Children's to remind her that I was available.

Then she told me something that she really needs to tell my supervisors on a completely different topic and walked off smiling.

StoneCold...acted like a sane and reasonable human being who made an honest mistake.  Are you sure you didn't wake up on the wrong side of the mirror this morning?  >:D

Yarnspinner

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 11:10:54 AM »
Greencat, I thought it might be opposite day and no one told me.

A coworker who watched the exchange said "Are you sure she understood?  She never looks that cheerful after being told no."

I do know that Stonecold seems to think I am like some super-Mom figure and has told others that I have a great sense of humor (we have to) and really know how to be a team player (!), so maybe that squeaks me thru.

I wanted to address Gollymolly and say "No offense taken!"  I understand what you are saying and I would completely agree about shaking things up if it was logical shaking, say adding hours and hiring people (correctly) to fill them.  Or using some new system of management.  But announcing that you want to toss rare books written by the city's most famous historical personage because "they're old and who cares about what some old white man thought?" or taking a person who is a people person and sticking them behind a computer all day are not logical decisions.

You are right, of course: the board LOVES what she does, not because they think it is a good idea but because it allows them to have more and more and more power.  They are currently trying to separate us from the crummy union we have because they believe we are overpaid and they don't want to pay our salaries any longer.  They get to take out price-y equipment paid for by taxpayer funds and keep it indefinitely.  They refuse to fix the filthy public bathrooms because the "cost is prohibitive" but spend three times as much to send Stonecold (and themselves) on "fact finding" junkets.  (And we know how much they spent because the person who had to write the checks was not shy about telling people.)

Sadly, they are not appointed by the mayor, either.  When the library was first created, the board created themselves and they are self perpetuating....when one decides to retire, they just invite some like minded individual to become one of them.

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »
(Snip)

I have got to cross stitch this on a pillow or something!  I can't stop laughing! :D

Firecat

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »

Someone I know once described another person as "a monocle and a persian cat short of being a Bond villain." Seems like a pretty good description of Stonecold to me!