News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 25, 2016, 05:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Autumn/Halloween themed food for grown-ups? Update post#15  (Read 2181 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: Autumn/Halloween themed food for grown-ups?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for all the cool and delicious ideas.

So far I've got the following menu:

- Stuffed Mushrooms
- My own recipe for spinach quiche, baked in a mini muffin tray
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Apple Crisp Bars

So I have 2 fruit/sweet and 2 veggie/savory, all "finger food" and easy to munch on.

I think I will take PPs advice and have mulled apple cider.

How does it sound?
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: Autumn/Halloween themed food for grown-ups? Update post#15
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »
Good menu! I would add one more savory, something less seasoned. Crackers or chips or bread and a dip or spread. Something people who are prone to eating a lot even at nibbles parties can fill up on. Quiche can get pretty expensive.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »
Good menu! I would add one more savory, something less seasoned. Crackers or chips or bread and a dip or spread. Something people who are prone to eating a lot even at nibbles parties can fill up on. Quiche can get pretty expensive.

Good point. I will have chips and dip and was planning on having veggies and hummus.

Unless you factor in the latest rise in egg prices, I don't find quiche to be especially expensive to make. My recipe calls for spices I already have, and I usually have the other ingredients on hand anyway (eggs, cheese, and cottage cheese).
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

mmswm

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 09:14:22 PM »
Mummy Man is a hit for all ages at my house. Get two packages of port wine cheese. Cut one into quarters and then cut about a quarter out of the other one. Shape the big chunk in a torso like shape. Use the five small ones to make a head, arms and legs. It doesn't have to be perfect. think stick figure. Next soften about a half a block of cream cheese. Mix it up with a couple teaspoons of milk and put into a frosting bag with a medium flat tip. Pipe the cream cheese over the port wine cheese so it looks like mummy wrappings. You can put two peppercorns for eyes if you want to make him look "alive". Serve with crackers of your choice.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Arila

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »
I never really grew out of thinking the dry ice in the punch bowl was cool...:)

Lots of other good food ideas that I can't improve upon.

Chip2

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 12:30:06 PM »
How about a sci-fi themed selection of dishes (featuring roasted chestburster!)?

http://www.grumpyfrenchman.net/?p=93

Wintergreen

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 01:19:40 AM »
Finger food, of course.   ;)  Find a recipe for almond crescent cookies.  Instead of making little crescents, keep the rolls straight.  If you have artistic talent, you can sculpt knuckles, but mine just come out lumpy.  Put a sliced almond on one end as a fingernail.  Bake. 

Cocktail sausages count as finger food, too, especially in tomato or chili sauce.

If you belong to a warehouse club, Costco carries party trays of sliced wraps.  Also known as sliced mummy arms.   >:D  BJ's and Sam's Club may also have these.

If you want to acknowledge the whole season, take your cue from the fruits and vegetables of autumn.  Pumpkins, winter squash, apples, pears, warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.  Hot mulled cider or wine are good drinks for a chilly night.

Uuu, I absolutely have to steal the idea of sliced mummy arms :D I've made before nibblets from tortillas by spreading cream cheese, thinly sliced vegetables and some cold cuts on it and then just rolled and cut to 1cm slices. Time to rename them...

jpcher

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for all the cool and delicious ideas.

So far I've got the following menu:

- Stuffed Mushrooms
- My own recipe for spinach quiche, baked in a mini muffin tray
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Apple Crisp Bars

So I have 2 fruit/sweet and 2 veggie/savory, all "finger food" and easy to munch on.

I think I will take PPs advice and have mulled apple cider.

How does it sound?

I think this menu is perfect, with your additions of chips, dips, veggies & hummas.

Just a thought for your mushrooms -- the posted recipe is almost exactly the way I make mine. I do not pre-cook the garlic or stems (but if this removes extra moisture from the stems, it's a good idea that I'll try next time) and instead of onion powder I chop a good handfull of fresh chives. THEN! ;D add a large can of well-drained flakey crab meat. These are to-die-for-delicious. . . . Oh, and I use the baby-bella mushrooms.

I really like mmswm's Mummy Man recipe. I'm putting that on my "must try" list. Thanks mmswm! ;D

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
I never really grew out of thinking the dry ice in the punch bowl was cool...:)

Lots of other good food ideas that I can't improve upon.

We used to make Pangalactic Gargleblaster Punch

1 bottle soda water
1 can orange juice concentrate (and/or pineapple juice, adjust the amount of soda water)
few* ounces of peach schnapps
few* ounces of Blue Curacao

add ice and dry ice just before serving

* exact definition of few is up to you
The days are long but the years are short.

tabitha

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 04:30:58 PM »
We always do sausage rolls in the shape of "witches fingers".  At least we try to make them the shape of fingers but it doesn't always work out. It's ok though because the results are equally if not more grotesque.