News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 01, 2016, 01:10:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Acorn squash - whadda ya do with it?  (Read 970 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Acorn squash - whadda ya do with it?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
I find that acron squash is a little more watery & a little less sweet than butternut, so I like to roast it to increase the flavor.

One thing that works is to cut it crossways, so you have rings, and roast them. Here are a couple of recipes:

Honey-Roasted Acorn Squash Rings

(Acorn Squash Rings Glazed with Maple & Orange

You can stuff squash halves or rings. Apples or sausage stuffings work well.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Arila

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »
Well, in my family we put butter and brown sugar on it...I practically have it for dessert.

But maybe you are more healthy-minded. In that case, my aunt found a very tasty savory recipe- you toast sage with butter in a frying pan, then you mostly bake the squash, then cut them in half and remove the seeds. quarter them, then toast the cut faces in the pan with the sage butter. top with ricotta (or sour cream) and the toasted sage and salt to taste.

Ooooo...  My BF loves sage.  I might have to try that, too.  Fresh sage?  Or dried?

Fresh

BigBadBetty

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »
I love squash in a Thai curry. You cook the cubed squash in a mix of coconut milk and thai curry paste (like Maeseri red curry paste). I add yellow tofu and thai eggplants, but you could add meat, too.

wheeitsme

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
My DH smokes it and then makes smoked squash soup. I love it when he adds ham. NOM.

blarg314

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »

It freezes really well once cooked - if you like the soups, you can roast a bunch, scoop it out of the shell, and freeze for later use.

For soups, I quite like curry-like seasonings; spices like cumin, coriander, cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, plus garlic, ginger, lemon and onion. Or go for sage and thyme (fresh or dried), and a little bit of cream drizzled over the top when it's finished.

I quite like Japanese squash nimono - the squash is cut into pieces and simmered in a broth of soy sauce, mirin (a sweet rice wine) and dashi (a fish stock). It's a lovely balance of salty/savory and the natural sweetness of the squash, and it's how I do squash for Christmas dinner.