Author Topic: Can I use Pumpkin in Place of Squash?  (Read 1115 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Can I use Pumpkin in Place of Squash?
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
This is a recipe Venus posted a while back that I love: 

Baja Butternut Squash Soup
From EatingWell:  January/February 2009
Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds (1 small to medium) butternut or other winter squash
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 carrot, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile (I used Chili powder Ė about 1.5 tsp for a triple batch)
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
6 cups vegetable broth (I only used 4 cups)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt (didnít use)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives, or chopped parsley (didnít use)
Preparation
1.Preheat oven to 350įF.
2.Cut squash in half and seed. Place the halves on a baking sheet, cut-side down. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Scoop out flesh when cool enough to handle.
3.Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, onion and carrot and stir to coat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the squash flesh, cumin, chipotle to taste and cloves. Add broth and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.  (Iíve made it where I didnít put the squash in until later Ė it was still cooking in the oven)
4.Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a drizzle of yogurt and sprinkle of chives (or parsley).  (I used the immersion blender first then pureed it in the regular blender.  Definitely let it cool first Ė I gave myself second degree burns on my forehead due to an explosion!  I donít bother with the garnish.)

*** But my CSA farm didn't give me any squash today!  I did get three pie pumpkins and a coworker may give me some more pie pumpkins.  Do you think I could make this soup with pumpkin instead of butternut squash?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Can I use Pumpkin in Place of Squash?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
I don't know why not. The texture might not be exactly the same but the flavors would work well.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
That sounds delicious! I do the reverse...recipe calls for pumpkin and I use butternut squash. The tiny grocery store by my house doesn't usually have fresh pumpkin. I find it works quite well. As the previous poster said the texture and taste might be slightly different but not enough to make a difference.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »
I don't know why not. The texture might not be exactly the same but the flavors would work well.

And they're both squash.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
The only adjustment might be a little more spice because pumpkin can be slightly more watery than butternut.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:59:07 AM »
Hubbard or Acorn squash work as well

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:38:42 AM »
That sounds delicious! I do the reverse...recipe calls for pumpkin and I use butternut squash. The tiny grocery store by my house doesn't usually have fresh pumpkin. I find it works quite well. As the previous poster said the texture and taste might be slightly different but not enough to make a difference.

I always substitute butternut squash (or sweet potato) for pumpkin as well. I find it difficult to get the small sugar pumpkins and the larger ones are flavourless.
The days are long but the years are short.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
I have a plethora of pie pumpkins and no squash from my CSA and my coworker.  So much so that I made far too much pumpkin pie filling last night.  17 pies worth, in fact.  And I only used half the pumpkins I have.  I just posted a notice on the fridge at work, asking if anyone wants to buy a pie.  I'll roll the pie shells this weekend.  The filling freezes beautifully.

Canadian Thanksgiving is next weekend so it's not completely crazy.

So based on this advice, I'm going try making pumpkin soup!  I may purchase some butternut squash - they are likely to be on sale next week, with Thanksgiving coming up.

I have made it with pepper squash - which I think are also known as acorn squash.  The dark green, almost droplet shaped ones with the ridges like a pumpkin.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »
I have a plethora of pie pumpkins and no squash from my CSA and my coworker.  So much so that I made far too much pumpkin pie filling last night.  17 pies worth, in fact.  And I only used half the pumpkins I have.  I just posted a notice on the fridge at work, asking if anyone wants to buy a pie.  I'll roll the pie shells this weekend.  The filling freezes beautifully.

So based on this advice, I'm going try making pumpkin soup!  I may purchase some butternut squash - they are likely to be on sale next week, with Thanksgiving coming up.

I have made it with pepper squash - which I think are also known as acorn squash.  The dark green, almost droplet shaped ones with the ridges like a pumpkin.
Yup those are acorn squash here in the states :)

magicdomino

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »
Much, if not all, canned pumpkin is winter squash -- I can't remember the variety, but I think it is butternut.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »

For the last couple of years, I've made a ground turkey (I sub ground chicken), bean and pumplin chili that I really like if you want me to post a link to the recipe. It can also be made without the meat.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 12:02:56 PM »
Yes, please!  I have lots more pumpkins and I love to have chili in the freezer for quick meals.

I do use my jack-o-lantern pumpkins for pie.  Cook it down, freeze it and spoon off any liquid that pools while it thaws.  They make really good pies.  But I had lots of pie pumpkins this year so I don't need to use my JOL pumpkins.

I've never made a pie with canned pumpkin - just didn't grow up with it.

As an aside - a surprising use of pumpkin?  Check the ingredients on plum sauce.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 12:25:09 PM »
This is the recipe I used. I did up the amount of chili powder. I used about a tablespoon to start. I've made it stove top and crockpot. And I usually grind my on chicken so I used that instead. You can sub the canned pumpkin puree for your fresh pumpkin. I usually add some diced jalepeno, roasted poblano, or other pepper that I have on hand becuase we like chile's.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html

Other recipes call for adding a 15oz can of diced tomatoes and quit a few don't use the green chile's.

I've often thought about adapting this to a recipe with pumpkin chunks instead of puree.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »

May I also suggest using the pumpkins to make pumpkin scones? I made a TON of those the year we grew pumpkins and they were SOOO good.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
Recipe, please!  Those do sound good.

I make a pumpkin bread and a spice cake that contains pumpkin.  Recipes are at home, though.
Ontario