Author Topic: When "news updates" interrupt your shows  (Read 2381 times)

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
When "news updates" interrupt your shows
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »
Moved from the Special Snowflakes thread, where we were telling too many stories about regular shows being preempted by "news updates" that are anything but.

Goosey said,
I am so TIRED of shows being interrupted to watch "news" which consists of interviewing anyone and everyone walking by to get their take on the matter.
Yes, that definitely gets my trousers in a bundle!

My favorite is from radio. I was listening intently to a riveting talk show, when it was interrupted by a news!! update!! from the OJ Simpson murder trial!! To tell us what the main players were wearing:o >:(

By the time my show was back, the subject I was so riveted by had changed. [Insert that "smiley" that begins with a frown, gets all red, produces smoke, and then explodes.]
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Katana_Geldar

Re: When "news updates" interrupt your shows
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:57:21 PM »
I hate when breaking news is actually just celebrity gossip, like about the latest break up.

JoW

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »
I don't have a problem with a breaking news scroll across the bottom of the TV screen.  On the radio that same breaking news can be mentioned between songs, telling the listener where to find more information. 

But when the newscasters or weather people take over the screen ending my show I think it should be something that I need to react to.  Do not break into my show to tell me that the winter storm watch issued 12 hours ago has now been changed to a winter storm warning.  Do break in when a tornado has been spotted near your coverage area and people near it need to take cover.  Do break in to report about a shoting that just happened and the shooter is still on the loose.  When they catch him put that information in a scroll across the bottom of the screen. 

Psychopoesie

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
I don't mind if it is a real major news story.

For example, the 9/11 attacks would definitely qualify. Although here in Australia, the channel I was watching IIRC did a news flash in one of the breaks and said that live coverage would start after the show finished (The West Wing). I certainly wouldn't have minded the show being dropped in favour of that sort of news!

Also don't mind  if it's a news story about a critical local emergency.

For example, when my mother called to say she was worried about the fires (which turned out to be major - the 2003 Canberra bushfires), I couldn't find any mention on TV or local radio (only one station was reporting & I missed it). Even scrolling breaking news across the bottom of the screen would have been helpful.

Agree with previous posters that interrupting regular programming for a lot of what seems to be minor news or a whole lot of talking heads going on about something without adding any new information - highly irritating.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »
What I take issue with is the emergency broadcast system.  Yes, you have told us already that there is a flash flood warning.  You do not need to keep on doing it every 15 minutes.  WE KNOW.  The people who you are trying to reach know.  In fact, they still have their sand bags up from the last time there was a warning / it flooded.  I don't know why people live along the Des Plaines River which always floods every year, without fail.  There's a giant project that's going to start to see if they can't fix it, but my money is on the river flooding again. 

However, I have since found a way to fight this, but only through the DVR.  Hit pause and mute, wait five minutes, and then undo mute and press play.  I don't mind so much with the breaking into programs thing, but I don't really watch things where I have to worry about spoilers or much reality television.  I think that's due to the nice people in fandoms winning.  Also, the reality television I watch is on cable channels (Food Network, Bravo, Lifetime) so they don't break in for the news stuff. 

However, if they could just do the scrolling for both weather and big news, I'd be a fan of it.  I'd probably send in a letter to my local station praising their decision to the high heavens too and spread it around social media.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 12:00:30 AM »
When I was a kid in the '50s, we only had 4 channels: the 3 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) and educational TV (now WTTW). Every political convention was on all three networks, and the Olympics took over all three networks. I wasn't that glued to the TV, but it really, really upset me when "Who Do You Trust" and "The wingadingdingy Van Dyke Show" were disrupted.

STILL TICKS ME OFF TODAY! But at least I can find something on cable.

My point is: This is an eternal problem, and I think threads like this that point out to 'the powers that be' to use scrolling as an alternative to interupting might be a good idea. If anyone wants to start a blitz to them, I'll be there.

magician5

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:58:57 AM »
IMO, I can take a brief interruption - maybe it's even something I hadn't read on the evening news crawl yet. Tell me the facts and then get on with the day. But I don't need interviews with bereaved people (those folks don't need microphones pointed in their face at such a time, and they can't tell us anything but 'it's terrible!') and I don't need the basic story repeated every five minutes like I didn't just hear it, and I don't need local officials saying 'we're doing everything we can', and the final irritation ... 'more on this breaking story at 11'.

I don't mean to sound hard-hearted, but a half-hour interruption for a five-minute story comes awfully close to self-congratulation by the news department, or an attempt to prove they're still relevant.

In addition, the story is most likely too fresh to be accurately analyzed - a full understanding won't come for some hours, or even days.

Put a crawl on the regular programming, that way more people will see it.

"Breaking news: world ending, film at 11."
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:03:34 AM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Sebastienne

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 01:15:55 AM »
"The wingadingdingy Van Dyke Show"

Ha!

o_gal

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:27:35 AM »
a half-hour interruption for a five-minute story comes awfully close to self-congratulation by the news department, or an attempt to prove they're still relevant.

And then in the next few weeks, they run commercials for their own station talking about how they were the first/best/most local/etc. news station to cover the issue.

o_gal

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45:12 AM »
What I take issue with is the emergency broadcast system.  Yes, you have told us already that there is a flash flood warning.  You do not need to keep on doing it every 15 minutes.

If it's the actual EBS, they don't have a choice - it will run until the authorities choose to close it out.

Years ago (late 80's or early 90's) one of the local stations got the command to run a weather related EBS message. They goofed and ran a civil defense EBS message. Since we have a really large Air Force base here, that got everyone scrambling. Half an hour later they came on and apologized. I'm sure the person at the station responsible for that little goof might have experienced a little professional Darwinism.

MrTango

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »
I remember being really ticked off years ago when I was watching one of my favorite shows and suddenly the TV station switched away from the show to watch some guy in a white Ford Bronco driving at 35 miles per hour down a California highway with about 30 police vehicles following him.

To this day, I still don't understand why the local TV station had to switch to something so irrelevant to most peoples' lives.

eltf177

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 11:48:48 AM »
This is one of my pet peeves as well.

I vividly remember the last five minutes of an episode of FUTURAMA being prempted for Florida's "Hanging Chad" issue, when:

a) It was totally unncessary, it certainly wasn't "breaking news"
b) nothing happened for 10 minutes, so there was no need to preempt the show

That episode was never reaired in my area, never saw the end until I bought the DVD set...

GreenHall

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »
I think the football game was over by the time the OJ 'chase' was aired - I don't remember anyone being mad - more amusement. 

The one event I do remember upsetting me in this category- at x:45 or so, they broke in to say that Yassar Arafat had died.  Mr. Arafat had been sick/dying for long enough that it was not breaking news.  x:45 puts you in the end of your television show, where things are wrapped up/solved/revealed (I think it was CSI).  I really think that could have waited until a commercial 'teaser' or the 11:00 news.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »
I thought about this last night when my DD texted ticked off to the MAX because a show she was wathcing was interrupted to report about the Michael Jackson wrongfull death lawsuit results. 

And I don't mind a scrolling across the bottom. I DO mind when they take over 2/3 of my screen with their logos and breaking news and put my viewing window in small window in the corner. Or when their scrolling takes over the bottom 1/3 of my screen.

I don't need live coverage of slow speed car chases.
I don't need live coverages of 99.9% of trials or lawsuits.

And I really don't need live coverage that is out there reporting anything  that anyone says to be factual when it is actually misinformation. If you don't have a reliable source then you shouldn't report it, even with a disclaimer. Saying "people are reporting xyz but we have not been able to substantiate it or get confirmation" doesn't cut it. Because then all your doing is gossipping on live tv.

And with the OJ chase, the NBA finals were being broadcast and people were not amused in our city.

renfield1969

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »
I remember years ago I was watching The Flash when the show was interrupted by the breaking news that President Bush had thrown up in Japan. That was it. They spent forty minutes saying it. There was no reason that could not have waited until the regular news broadcast.