News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 03:39:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When "news updates" interrupt your shows  (Read 6379 times)

KenveeB

Re: When "news updates" interrupt your shows
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »
I don't mind updates for genuine emergencies, but so much of what they interrupt for can wait for the ordinary nightly news!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »
I remember years ago I was watching The Flash when the show was interrupted by the breaking news that President Bush had thrown up in Japan. That was it. They spent forty minutes saying it. There was no reason that could not have waited until the regular news broadcast.

Okay, you reminded me of a story.

I used to work at a hospital. This hospital employed a former White House physician. Did you know that a physican travels with the president everywhere he goes? Well, this physician was with the president in Japan when the vomiting incident happened. The Dr was in his hotel room at the time. When the president fell ill, someone was sent to fetch the Dr.  The person they sent didn't speak English well and the Dr ended up being told the president had died! He said he had never run so fast in his entire life! He flew into the room only to learn it was an upset tummy :P !

Of course it's much, much funnier to her him tell the story!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

magician5

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »
I have to smile when there's a little rain ... or even a hint of possible rain ... and the next break you get a heads-up from "Stormwatch 7".
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

pwv

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »
I hate when they break into a show for a "special news bulletin" stating a major announcement is forthcoming.  We are then treated to 5-15 minutes of a reporter standing in front of some building or other repeating over and over that some bigshot is going to have a press conference to make some major announcement.  We have to listen to the poor reporter trying to find something to say for that 5-15 minutes; then when the press conference starts they announce something that really could have waited.

MyFamily

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 04:20:11 PM »
A friend of mine (who lives near DC) posted on facebook how frustrated he was to have his tv viewing interrupted by the non-updates regarding the shooting incident at the Capital today. 
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

rose red

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »
I remember the days before internet or VCR (so no video rentals) so if you miss something, that's it.  I remember a TV movie that got interrupted and I never saw the end.  Of course, the news item could have waited for the evening news or even a 3 minute update if they must, but no, it took up the entire prime time.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 10:47:08 PM »
DH wants me to mention the (American) football blackout rules. Our team's home games start in the afternoon. (Go Broncos!) By the TV contract rules, the local team's game overrides any other game being played.

It has happened more than once that one of the morning games is very exciting to watch, the scoring is close, it's down to the last two minutes, suspense is high - when, flash! they switch to the start of our game. Blackout rules, aargh!

Currently dividing my attention between E-hell and the Cleveland-Buffalo game... 27-24... 3 minutes left... (Good thing the Broncos aren't playing!) Cleveland field goal! 30-24 with 2 minutes left!

Which reminds me of a family joke (stolen from "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change!"). "Is that 5 minutes, or five football minutes?"

And Ward intercepts the pass! Runs for the touchdown! Can the Bills score twice in the next two minutes? ...No! Cleveland wins!

Ahem. Cough, cough. We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.  >:D
For in the fatness of these pursy times
Virtue itself of vice must pardon beg,
Yea, curb and woo for leave to do him good.
     Hamlet, Act 3, scene 4, lines 144-146
       (Pursy: wheezing)

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »
When I was a kid in the '50s, we only had 4 channels: the 3 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) and educational TV (now WTTW). Every political convention was on all three networks, and the Olympics took over all three networks. I wasn't that glued to the TV, but it really, really upset me when "Who Do You Trust" and "The wingadingdingy Van Dyke Show" were disrupted.

STILL TICKS ME OFF TODAY! But at least I can find something on cable.

My point is: This is an eternal problem, and I think threads like this that point out to 'the powers that be' to use scrolling as an alternative to interupting might be a good idea. If anyone wants to start a blitz to them, I'll be there.

Then you will understand why I hate football to my core. 
When I was a kid there were two times a week that I could control the TV.  Saturday mornings before my parents woke up, and the Sunday evening Disney show.  The Disney show came on right after football.  So, if football ran over (which it always did) my show had the front cut off.  What really drove me absolutely positively bonkers is that even when the game finished before my show they still cut off my show so that the talking heads could finish blathering about the show. 

guihong

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
DH wants me to mention the (American) football blackout rules. Our team's home games start in the afternoon. (Go Broncos!) By the TV contract rules, the local team's game overrides any other game being played.

It has happened more than once that one of the morning games is very exciting to watch, the scoring is close, it's down to the last two minutes, suspense is high - when, flash! they switch to the start of our game. Blackout rules, aargh!

Currently dividing my attention between E-hell and the Cleveland-Buffalo game... 27-24... 3 minutes left... (Good thing the Broncos aren't playing!) Cleveland field goal! 30-24 with 2 minutes left!

Which reminds me of a family joke (stolen from "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change!"). "Is that 5 minutes, or five football minutes?"

And Ward intercepts the pass! Runs for the touchdown! Can the Bills score twice in the next two minutes? ...No! Cleveland wins!

Ahem. Cough, cough. We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.  >:D

Most of you are probably too young to remember the granddaddy of all cutaways, the Heidi Game.  The Oakland Raiders were at home against the New York Jets, with the Jets ahead and about one minute remaining.  The networks suddenly switched to the movie "Heidi" everywhere but the West Coast.  Of course, the Raiders scored two touchdowns in a matter of seconds and won. 

eltf177

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »

Most of you are probably too young to remember the granddaddy of all cutaways, the Heidi Game.  The Oakland Raiders were at home against the New York Jets, with the Jets ahead and about one minute remaining.  The networks suddenly switched to the movie "Heidi" everywhere but the West Coast.  Of course, the Raiders scored two touchdowns in a matter of seconds and won.

And I understand the entire east coast phone system crashed when fans called in to complain. So when WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY made it's TV debut it started almost an hour into the movie because the football game in front went into OT. Trust me, unless you watch the entire movie it won't make a lot of sense...

rose red

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
Oh, sports.  I hate sports going overtime more than I hate "breaking news."  At least, breaking news is kind of rare, but sports is always there

Stanwyck

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »
Or when they break into programming to tell us that the Bears/Blackhawks/Bulls/White Sox* have won their respective league championship.  If I cared about the game, I'd be watching the game, not whatever the other stations have on.

*I omitted the Cubs becuase if they ever win the World Series again (105 years and counting!) the world will end and there won't be time to break into programming.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »
*I omitted the Cubs becuase if they ever win the World Series again (105 years and counting!) the world will end and there won't be time to break into programming.

Which is so going to be next year.  Yep.  Next year is the Cubs year.  ;D

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
Oh, sports.  I hate sports going overtime more than I hate "breaking news."  At least, breaking news is kind of rare, but sports is always there.

And it always seems to run late. 
Although my husband claims that the current network for football is better about scheduling.