Author Topic: There's a Stomper on Floor 4  (Read 3428 times)

jmarvellous

There's a Stomper on Floor 4
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:48:36 PM »
We are new to a third-floor apartment in a building that's pretty old, with reasonable but not exceptional soundproofing. Our neighbors are mostly great.

But the couple above us, who are ordinarily very quiet, have been making a habit (say, every other week for the past 6) of getting into loud fights at very late hours. The woman is yelling in Chinese (which we do not speak, but it's loud/clear enough to presume they're speaking some dialect thereof) and stomping a lot, while the man's voice is raised occasionally but doesn't seem to be moving around the apartment. Mostly, it's this woman yelling and stomping/pacing.

Last night, my husband heard them going at it from approximately 1-2 a.m. I was out like a light thanks to some cold medicine, but he says he couldn't sleep for the duration of the fight, which I fully believe, and he wants to do something. I know what I would do, but he asked me to ask the forum what they would do. We want to be good, polite neighbors.

Please assume for the sake of not derailing the thread that there's no risk of domestic violence. If we in any way expected that, we would call the police, no question. All we want is for them to be quiet, though if they could be happy in the long run, that'd be good, too!

We brainstormed a list of options:
  • Leave a note asking them to be quieter
  • Leave a note asking them to refrain from yelling after 11 (when noise complaints are more valid in our neighborhood)
  • Wait to leave a note till it happens again
  • Knock on the door during the day
  • Knock on the door when it's happening again (really not preferred because it's always when we're in bed!)
  • Call the landlord
  • Call 311
  • Call 911

We're concerned that it's entirely possible they don't speak English (there are definitely tenants here who don't) and wouldn't get our message, or that we'd make an enemy in the building (this woman sounds MAD!), or that we're overreacting. But we have enough noises in our urban area that one more is just not welcome.
Any suggestions?

SoCalVal

Re: There's a Stomper on Floor 4
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »
If you're all renters, call the landlord and provide details.

MindsEye

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
  • Knock on the door when it's happening again (really not preferred because it's always when we're in bed!)

Bang on the ceiling instead?  (I am only partially joking)

My personal preference is to call the landlord, especially if you think that a note/personal request would be ignored or not understood because of the potential language barrier.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »
I think I would edit that list to:

• Leave a note asking them to refrain from yelling and stomping after 11 (when noise complaints are more valid in our neighborhood)
  • Knock on the door during the day
  • Call the landlord

These to me are the best first actions, and to me they are each pretty much equal - which ever you feel most comfortable with.

sweetonsno

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:09:43 PM »
I'd vote for leaving a note first. Keep it simple, especially if you suspect that their English level isn't very good.

Dear Neighbors in 405:

We've noticed that you are fighting at night on a regular basis. It is very loud and it wakes us up/makes it hard for us to sleep. Please keep your voices down (at night? after ten? whatever.).

Thank you,
Your Neighbors (no need to say what unit... chances are they can be heard by a lot of people)

Next time, contact the landlord. It might be wise to start documenting incidents and your actions in case the problem isn't resolved within the next couple of weeks.

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »
I would suggest contacting the landlord.  It also wouldn't hurt to have a short recording of the noise as an example.  If they aren't yelling in English, it's possible that any note you leave in English would not be understood clearly.

Curious Cat

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
I would suggest contacting the landlord.  It also wouldn't hurt to have a short recording of the noise as an example.  If they aren't yelling in English, it's possible that any note you leave in English would not be understood clearly.

I agree, plus these people might be on a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th warning.  If you go to the landlord first you can ask how they would like you to proceed.

doodlemor

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
If English is truly a problem, and you want to do a note, how about........

Hello Friends,

Please don't make noise at night.  We can't sleep.

Thankyou,
Neighbor

Actually, though, I POD those who say to contact the landlord. 

Don't go up there during their argument - you don't truly know whether there is any violence involved, or how they might react to your presence.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
Thank goodness I've only had to deal with the downstairs neighbours, who liked to throw dishes during daylight hours.

It was sort of a soothing rhythm after a while:

"#($)@)@!"

(crash)

"*#(@(!#"

(smash).....

It probably supported the Canadian tableware industry.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jmarvellous

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »
Thank goodness I've only had to deal with the downstairs neighbours, who liked to throw dishes during daylight hours.

It was sort of a soothing rhythm after a while:

"#($)@)@!"

(crash)

"*#(@(!#"

(smash).....

It probably supported the Canadian tableware industry.

Maybe they made mosaics?

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »
I would contact the landlord and let them deal with it.  Each time they continue to make noise after 11pm call the landlord up and make a complaint. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
Thanks, all!

Husband is running up to put a very polite note that includes a warning that we will call the landlord if the noise continues. I think that should be enough.

(Of course, cue the horror stories of, "I left a note and then my neighbor exacted terrible revenge" in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
To me, the first course of action is getting the trusty old broom out and banging on your ceiling as a "Hey, I can hear you! Pipe down."

If that doesn't work, then I'd leave a note saying "Heads up. We can hear all of your domestic disputes downstairs. Thought you'd like to know."

And then resort to police if they don't pipe down.

jmarvellous

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
To me, the first course of action is getting the trusty old broom out and banging on your ceiling as a "Hey, I can hear you! Pipe down."

If that doesn't work, then I'd leave a note saying "Heads up. We can hear all of your domestic disputes downstairs. Thought you'd like to know."

And then resort to police if they don't pipe down.

I mentioned to my husband that 2 people suggested banging on the ceiling ... and we laughed as we realized that might not be the best idea in this building simply because the paint on our ceiling is very ... cracked. We're both afraid of chipping or cracking!

betty

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »

I'll veto banging on the ceiling. I had a neighbor do that to me once, and it only served to make me angry and less inclined to hurry to stop the noise. Neighbor had no idea that I was doing all I could to calm down my toddler and his tantrum, including trying to get his little banging feet into shoes so I could take him out into the snowy evening to calm down. If neighbor had come upstairs to tell me there was a problem, I would have been apologetic and I think we all would have been happier. As it was, I'm still annoyed at the ceiling-banging and toddler is now 14.

When neighbor's teenager cranked music late at night, I walked downstairs, knocked on the door, and asked him to turn it down.