Author Topic: There's a Stomper on Floor 4  (Read 3393 times)

LEMon

Re: There's a Stomper on Floor 4
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
Another disadvantage of banging on the ceiling is that the noise maker knows who is bothered by it.  A note, such as the one put on the door, could be from any nearby neighbor. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:15 PM »
To me, the first course of action is getting the trusty old broom out and banging on your ceiling as a "Hey, I can hear you! Pipe down."

If that doesn't work, then I'd leave a note saying "Heads up. We can hear all of your domestic disputes downstairs. Thought you'd like to know."

And then resort to police if they don't pipe down.

IMO ceiling banging is retaliatory rudeness and will most likely only serve to escalate the problem, it won't solve the issue.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »
Thank goodness I've only had to deal with the downstairs neighbours, who liked to throw dishes during daylight hours.

It was sort of a soothing rhythm after a while:

"#($)@)@!"

(crash)

"*#(@(!#"

(smash).....

It probably supported the Canadian tableware industry.

Maybe they made mosaics?

*snerk*

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »
To me, the first course of action is getting the trusty old broom out and banging on your ceiling as a "Hey, I can hear you! Pipe down."

I'll veto banging on the ceiling. I had a neighbor do that to me once, and it only served to make me angry and less inclined to hurry to stop the noise. Neighbor had no idea that I was doing all I could to calm down my toddler and his tantrum, including trying to get his little banging feet into shoes so I could take him out into the snowy evening to calm down. If neighbor had come upstairs to tell me there was a problem, I would have been apologetic and I think we all would have been happier. As it was, I'm still annoyed at the ceiling-banging and toddler is now 14.

When neighbor's teenager cranked music late at night, I walked downstairs, knocked on the door, and asked him to turn it down.

I guess it's perception by person. Decades ago when I lived in an apartment, a 3 tap on the ceiling was an acceptable "Hey, we can hear you." I never met anyone who was so offended by a 3 tap that  they became angry and less agreeable.

A 3 tap would have been considered less confrontational than a face to face "your noise is disturbing me". Sort of like turning around in a theater with a raised eyebrow versus getting up and confronting a whisperer directly or calling an usher.

jmarvellous

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »
Taps might have meant something clear in a particular time or place, and I'd certainly "get" it if someone tapped rapidly and rhythmically on my floor or ceiling,  but I do know from experience that it's hardly universal.  I tried it with a downstairs neighbor friend once when I needed sleep and they kept practicing guitar.  They asked me later what was up with the tapping, which just annoyed them and they didn't realize was deliberate.

I'm not betting on this neighbor being MORE understanding than my friends.

And now I'm singing,  "Knock three times on the ceiling if you wanna dance. Twice on the floor ..."

BeagleMommy

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »
I think a note, followed by a call to the landlord if the noise doesn't stop, is the best way to go.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
Some comics you could tape to their door: