A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Travel

Ireland in February

(1/4) > >>

OSUJillyBean:
Hubby and I scored super-cheap tickets from the U.S. to the Seychelles to Dublin and home again.  I know nothing of Ireland besides the stereotypes.  Can anyone recommend a part of the country to visit?  We will be renting a car and prefer smaller towns to urban sprawl.  I'm sure it will be cold and rainy as heck so the weather might limit outdoor-things.

Any advice E-Hell??

Piratelvr1121:
Never been there, but am wanting to go and of my goals is to see Dublin, especially Trinity Library with the Book of Kells, the statue of Molly Malone.  I'd also like to go to Co. Galway, as that's where some of my family hails from.

mechtilde:
Co Clare has The Burren and the Cliffs of Moher (both worth a visit)

You could also consider The Giant's Causeway in Co Antrim and The Mountains of Mourne on Co Down if you fancy going to Northern Ireland. On a really clear day you can see Scotland, England and the Isle of Man from there, but the conditions have to be right.

Free Range Hippy Chick:
Second vote for going north to the Causeway (the whole of the north coast is beautiful, but expect it to be very wet. Not likely to be snowy or icy, though). Belfast: the Titanic Exhibition, according to my sister and my son who have been, is excellent. The Ulster Folk Museum and the Ulster Museum itself (they're different) are both worth a visit. If you stop in Belfast, the Grand Opera House is one of Frank Matcham's, and has been sympathetically restored, as has the Crown Liquor Saloon, which was a Victorian gin palace. Also in Belfast you might try a Black Taxi tour - a safe way to see the parts of Belfast that turned up on international news reports for so long, and to put them into some sort of context.

Otherwise, if you want scenery, the Ring of Kerry, or Fermanagh for the lakes. History, there's a stone circle or a megalith in every third field. Newgrange is in my opinion a must-see, and if you're interested in plants and landscape, you must see The Burren which has nothing else like it in the whole country.

Not sure where you're from so it will certainly be wet - wet is not relative! - but you may find it less cold than you expect, specially inland. Try Guinness in Ireland because it's definitely not the same as Guiness elsewhere. Also Irish whisky isn't the same as Scotch. You can tour the Bushmills distillery if you're interested in that. Eat wheaten bread and soda farls and potato bread. Don't eat dulse, it's disgusting. Eat yellow man.

I'll be pleased to bore you at greater length if you wish...  :P

Chonsil:
How much time will you have?
If you prefer countryside I'd recommend the Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula. Lots of dramatic coastline and gorgeous views. Dingle is a lovely town - or was at least the last time I was there (granted that was over 10 years ago), and from there you can go out to Slea Head (which is where Ryan's Daughter was filmed) and it is just stunning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version