Author Topic: s/o - It's not the amount of perfume  (Read 1971 times)

MyFamily

s/o - It's not the amount of perfume
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »
One of our main printers is in my office and right now, as I type this, it is being serviced by a tech from the company we lease the machines from.  He is wearing a cologne and he reeks of it!  My eyes are actually watering a bit.  Obviously, I can't say anything to him right now, but is it appropriate to say something to the company?  We've actually had issues with him before - he doesn't seem to get that just because my desk is right here that means I can sit and chit-chat with him while he works (that isn't how my job works). 

Argh!!  And I can't open any windows in here...seriously, I may end up leaving early because I can feel the headache start to build!

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

doodlemor

Re: s/o - It's not the amount of perfume
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »
I think that it is fine to say something to his employer. 

It should come from the supervisor at your company, though, not from you directly.  If he has had issues with your company before, he has probably been in trouble elsewhere, too.  You wouldn't want him to think that you were personally responsible if he lost his job.

sweetonsno

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
I definitely think you can bring it up, but I agree that it should come from whoever is responsible for coordinating the techs rather than someone else. Write to your supervisor (or whoever arranges for the tech to come in) and let them know in general terms that their cologne is too much. I think this is like any other grooming issue.

As for the chit-chat, be a bit more blunt with him before you go to the employer. After exchanging pleasantries, just say, "Well, I have to get back to work. I know you do, too."

snowdragon

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 05:11:49 PM »
I definitely think you can bring it up, but I agree that it should come from whoever is responsible for coordinating the techs rather than someone else. Write to your supervisor (or whoever arranges for the tech to come in) and let them know in general terms that their cologne is too much. I think this is like any other grooming issue.

As for the chit-chat, be a bit more blunt with him before you go to the employer. After exchanging pleasantries, just say, "Well, I have to get back to work. I know you do, too."

this

MyFamily

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »

Actually, I'm the one who deals with the company for all the machines they provide us with, so that person would be me.  The person at the company I should speak with leaves at 4, and I don't work tomorrow, so I guess Monday I will make the call.   

If he loses his job, I won't feel guilty - I'm pretty relaxed with things with our vendors and delivery drivers - I have a strong appreciation for all them because they are either 1) helping me &/or my coworkers do our jobs by fixing something or bringing us something we need and 2) If they weren't around to do the job, chances are it would be the responsibility of me or our maintenance staff.  This guy, though, just pushes a little too hard with the chit-chat, and the cologne today was really bad. 

He's been gone for about 15 minutes now and it just reeks in here! 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
For sure, mention it to the company.  You don't even need to say it's a particular person, just that you've noticed heavy cologne from their employees and would prefer to keep your workplace as scent-free as possible.

I can't imagine he'd lose his job or even be reprimanded over this, unless he were a problem employee in other ways, and multiple clients had complained about chatting too much.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »
For sure, mention it to the company.  You don't even need to say it's a particular person, just that you've noticed heavy cologne from their employees and would prefer to keep your workplace as scent-free as possible.

You wouldn't even have to mention that it's just their employees, if you didn't want to.  You could say that when "our vendors" come in wearing heavy scents, it is bothering some scent-sensitive employees, and you're asking "our vendors" if they would mind addressing this with all their employees who come to your workplace.

Does your workplace have any official policy against scents, or even some kind of general awareness to be careful with scent? If so, you would have even more to back yourself up.  You could say that because this workplace is scent-free, scent on vendors coming in from outside seems especially strong.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »

You wouldn't even have to mention that it's just their employees, if you didn't want to.  You could say that when "our vendors" come in wearing heavy scents, it is bothering some scent-sensitive employees, and you're asking "our vendors" if they would mind addressing this with all their employees who come to your workplace.

That rarely, if ever, works. The offending person almost inevitably thinks "I'm not the one they're talking about" and nothing changes. Someone who is un-self-aware enough to wear a scent that permeates the place isn't going to be self-aware enough for the introspection necessary to respond to a generic admonition.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 03:41:55 PM »
That rarely, if ever, works. The offending person almost inevitably thinks "I'm not the one they're talking about" and nothing changes. Someone who is un-self-aware enough to wear a scent that permeates the place isn't going to be self-aware enough for the introspection necessary to respond to a generic admonition.

Good point that I didn't think of.  You're totally right, that's the way it is in my workplace.  We have a scent-free policy and once a year or so I pester my boss until she sends out the reminder email, but the three big offenders never change. 

whatsanenigma

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »

True enough...but I was thinking more along the lines of, an email or letter is sent to whoever is in charge of the company, in this case, the printer place, and that person thinks "Hmmm, I wonder if they are thinking of Joe Schmo and just trying to be polite" and then that person would address it specifically with Joe Schmo.