Author Topic: I'm not eating that! - Share your stories  (Read 19088 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: I'm not eating that! - Share your stories
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2013, 05:08:46 PM »
My DH hates onions. On a boy scout campout he ate a pretty light dinner because the stew was mostly onions. So he was pretty happy when they announced breakfast was to be eggs and sausage. He said he almost cried when he was given plate of eggs with the sausge scrambled in and riddled with diced onions. Whenever this particular adult is cooking, he's learned to take some granola bars.

dawnfire

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2013, 09:25:48 PM »
I've never tried cheesecake because I keep thinking it tastes like, well, cheese.  I'm told it doesn't, but I haven't gotten past the mental block.

it depends on the type of cheesecake. The baked type, I find a bit bland. The chilled type I love. (PS I make a mean chilled cheesecake)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »
I've never tried cheesecake because I keep thinking it tastes like, well, cheese.  I'm told it doesn't, but I haven't gotten past the mental block.

it depends on the type of cheesecake. The baked type, I find a bit bland. The chilled type I love. (PS I make a mean chilled cheesecake)

I make a delicious white chocolate berry cheesecake.  I also make a yummy double chocolate cheesecake.  No blandness there :)  they hit your tastebuds like BAM! POW! WAKE UP!

andi

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
My step mom was the "casserole queen" - she was a Depression era child and could not waste on shred of food so anytime we had a chicken or turkey for dinner she'd strips every morsel of meat from the bones, mix it with some type of soup mix, onions, peppers, etc and serve it the next night. I hated them. I don't like my foods all mooshed together.    Some of the casseroles were from cookbooks (I had lots of Turkey Tetrazinni growing up) some she made up. I still shudder

Te worst were her Jello "salads". Shed mix cream cheese and green pepper into lime jello. There were a couple more - I've blocked them out. (any one else from "up north" familiar wight the Jello salads?  Never figured out if it was a suburban Chicago thing or my step mom)

finecabernet

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2013, 10:14:37 PM »
I was working a fancy dinner party at a winery in which I worked (we were each assigned a table of guests to entertain and ensure were happy). The theme that evening was exotic meats, so for the appetizer we had ostrich salad (if you don't think about it too much it tastes great). Then dinner came and it was some sort of rabbit dish. I took one look at it, and my stomach turned. I asked the server for more bread and told her I couldn't eat the rabbit, and she thankfully brought me chicken. Did I mention that the guests sitting next to me had supplied the exotic meats? Yeah, not a great night.

Lindee

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »
It took me ages to figure out that the occasional mouthful of something that was truly disgusting while eating otherwise lovely meals was Coriander. To me it tastes like concentrated horribleness. (My daughter feels the same, isn't genetics wonderful). The only other things I try to avoid are cloves, they taste like toothache. It used to be so disappointing to take a bite of a lovely looking apple pie to find, oh no,  yechh.  Perhaps that was because Oil of Cloves was a home remedy for toothache when I was a child.

TaterTot

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »
My mom hated to cook and was, therefore, not a very good cook. I like Brussels sprouts, but not when they've been burned and then seasoned with oregano to try and cover up the burned taste. My mom also served "blackened" grilled cheese sandwiches because she preferred to broil them in the oven instead of brown them in a pan on the stovetop. Unfortunately, she constantly forgot the sandwiches were in the oven until you could smell the smoke. 

I also had the experience of having to eat pancakes that were cooked on the outside, but raw on the inside. Ah...memories!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »
As a baby, I refused to eat peas (Mom told be about my separating them in my mouth and spitting them out) and beets. (same story). I eat them both now.

Mom had a recipe for a "salad" : lime Jello, cottage cheese, cream, pineapple, wallnuts and some other stuff. She took it to every family get together. I never ate it, but I think it served OK in the 50s with that family. I don't think we took a lot home.

I have spent so many years laughing about this concoction that I finally took it as my contribution one Thanksgiving. It made about 3 quarts. A pint was eaten.Noone came back for seconds. Lucas can choke it down, enjoying the first 1/4 cup, but after that, forget it.

Everyone believes me now, so it worked out.

Recipe available on request.

jolyan

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2013, 01:01:45 AM »
Sunshine Salad. Shredded cabbage and carrots in orange jello.

See also: anything on this website.
http://www.midcenturymenu.com/category/hello-jello/

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2013, 03:12:04 AM »
Sunshine Salad. Shredded cabbage and carrots in orange jello.

See also: anything on this website.
http://www.midcenturymenu.com/category/hello-jello/

Oh I remember Sunshine Salad...  sometimes we would have it as dessert in school lunch.

So my mom joined the PTA when my younger brother started school and stayed in the PTA until my younger sisters went on to another school. 

On day the school decided to show the parents what great nutritious lunches they served, so they had a special PTA lunch where the parents got to eat what their children had for lunch that day.

Lunch was tuna casserole, string beets, a cinnamon roll and milk.  The milk was frozen, the string beets were cold and dyed the lukewarm casserole bright pink and the cinnamon roll could have been used for a hockey puck. 

We took lunch for a while after that.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2013, 05:38:09 AM »
I find the idea of vegetables in jelly (Jell-O) or a salad with it so utterly bizarre I can't get my head round it!

crella

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2013, 06:24:53 AM »
Ambrosia. My grandmother made it every time she saw us. She even brought it when she came to our house. I think it was just the extreme sweetness of it.

Those desserts that started to come out when Cool Whip did. Take a perfectly good dessert, and stir in some Cool Whip  ;D

My mother's Turkey Tetrazzini was flavored fine, with nice tender chunks of turkey, but she over-boiled the pasta. She used angel hair pasta and boiled it for 7 minutes or so, as if it were spaghetti. It just disintegrated in the casserole dish.

The Costco Chicken Bake is chicken and some kind of sauce baked into bread. I forget what else was in it....I split one with someone once. It was a bit on the heavy side.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2013, 09:22:27 AM »
Oh I remember Sunshine Salad...  sometimes we would have it as dessert in school lunch.

I remember those.  I never ate it.  I like jello and always got upset they ruined it when it's easier to just leave it plain.  Looking back, I guess they were trying to loophole it as the "vegetable" ::) :P

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
Canned peas drowned in velveeta cheese.  I hate peas and with the velveeta it looked like peas drowned in snot. No, NO, NOOO!
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah