Author Topic: Politely declining religion at a children's group*Update pg5, Uh oh...  (Read 17201 times)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
Re: Politely declining religion at a children's group
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »
OP, does your church have any kind of organized activities for children (Sunday school, "children's church") during Sunday worship? I'm asking because (a) I'm not familiar with the Anglican church, and (b) I was raised Catholic, and we didn't. Children went to Mass with their parents, and religious instruction was held after school or on Saturday mornings. It sounds as if what Church Mom wants is the equivalent of the sort of kiddie activity many Protestant churches offer during worship time. And there's certainly a place for that, and she's free to organize it, but she shouldn't be hijacking an activity that uses church space but is understood to be secular. There are 24 hours in a day and seven days in a week -- she could easily find time for such a group that doesn't impinge on your existing play group.

I belong to a dance group that practices Wednesday evenings at a church. Other activities go on that night in other rooms. Some are church-related (Bible study, committee meetings), and others are not (chess club, Scouts). If the church needs our practice space for an activity on a Wednesday night, they get priority, but that only happens twice a year, and we're happy to take the week off or find another venue.

But that isn't what's happening here. It's one person trying to hijack an activity that has nothing to do with church and turn it into a church activity. I'm glad she backed down, and I hope she finds a time and place to hold her activity that doesn't impinge on yours.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

alis

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
Sooooo.....

They decided it would be at 4pm on a Sunday.

And today, at 10:30am on a Thursday, the reverend and someone from the downtown Dioceses came in and started a bible story time. I just picked my kids and left, I didn't know what to say.

Really? You agree it will be on another day, and then still tack it on the end of our secular playgroup  when we were told it would be a different day. I guess we'll have to trek 30 minutes to the other playgroup then. I'm not religious, so I was annoyed. Another participant, a Muslim woman, was very upset and walked out, I don't blame her.

alis

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
Another girl, who said to the reverend she would not participate, just walked around with her baby playing with toys and ignoring it...

NyaChan

Re: Politely declining religion at a children's group*Update pg5, Uh oh...
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »
Was the play group over when they did this Bible-story time?  If it just started at the end of your group, I don't think they necessarily did anything wrong. 

alis

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
No, it wasn't over, it doesn't end until 11-11:30. They came in and started this in the middle of the playgroup.

NyaChan

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »
That is really inappropriate of them to disregard the group's expressed wishes then.  Are you going to address it with the group or do you think it wouldn't make a difference?  Considering that the woman knew people had a problem with it and did it anyways, I'd have a hard time trusting her from now on.

Another Sarah

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »
Before I left I would probably send a message to the reverend. I suspect the religious woman who brought up the idea is behind the story time, not the reverend - "Oh they thought a servicew would be too long, but if we could do something that would be nice!"
I'd just drop a polite message saying that while you appreciate the use of the church hall, you joined the group because it is secular and if they are changing that on a permanent basis, could they let you know? By the sounds of it it went down like a lead balloon and only a very oblivious person would fail to notice, so I suspect it won't be repeated.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »
I have to wonder if they came at her asking.

Did she ask them to come assuring them it was wanted?

I wonder what she did tell them.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

alis

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to talk to the keyholder (who is not the organizer, it's just an informal group) and see what is going on. Bizarrely enough, the woman who organized the church to do this wasn't even there, she left early because her son was grumpy. I really enjoy the girls at this group but we're not religious and it makes me uncomfortable to participate in bible stories/games.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
Sarah said it better and quicker ;)

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »
Since you like these ladies, invite them over to your home and keep in touch with them that way.  Or start your own playgroup.  That's what I would do. (and have done)

Vall

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »
It sounds like a bait-and-switch but I'm not sure who is doing it.  Someone wasn't being upfront about this.  I'll bet that FB page is going to be quite busy today.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »
Since you like these ladies, invite them over to your home and keep in touch with them that way.  Or start your own playgroup.  That's what I would do. (and have done)

POD. I guess I don't understand why someone who has no interest in that specific religion would go to a church of that religion for playgroups. Is there a secular community center where you can meet?

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »

POD. I guess I don't understand why someone who has no interest in that specific religion would go to a church of that religion for playgroups. Is there a secular community center where you can meet?

It sounds like this was a convenient place. I've met in churches for non religious events so I wouldn't find that odd in itself.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »

Often times church buildings are used as community centers totally separate from the church's official functions. I always presumed it was because the church doesn't need the space if its not being used as simply offers it as a free service to the community or rents the space to groups.

I attended totally non-denominational girl scouts in a church basement as a kid. I recently volunteered at a "green job fair" (nothing whatsoever to do with church or religion) held in a church hall. The church space is used simply because there are no "community centers" and therefore no other big empty rooms available for these events, except for very expensive catering halls or hotel meeting rooms. On a similar note once I rented a VFW hall for a birthday party once, even though no one in my nuclear family, myself included was a veteran.