Author Topic: SO on dog brushing rude  (Read 3812 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: SO on dog brushing rude
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »
I like to walk around and so I do.  I would be very, very put out if someone questioned my right to walk down a public street.

Yes, but would you be put out if someone said, "Hello! Do you live around here?" in a friendly way?

And also--walking past is one thing. Hanging out, brushing your dog, sitting on the roadside reading a book--those are all very different from walking on the sidewalk.

Allyson

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »
Is the issue with going to another neighbourhood, or just doing it very near someone else's property? I don't know, I think it'd be just as weird if I went three houses down to do some of these things, than if I went three neighbourhoods over.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 03:43:06 PM »

The actions you are describing - harassing people on the street -  are already rude. They may be “rude with a reason” and you can defend it; but they are still rude. Much like the threads regarding calling the police, once you have gotten to that point it really isn't a matter of etiquette.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 09:51:19 PM »
Real estate advice suggests that when you're considering purchasing a property, you go check out the neighborhood at different times of day and see how noisy it is and get a feel for the environment, but I've never been sure exactly how to do that. Reading this thread, now I know! I could have stopped in front of my potential house for some sunbathing or craps-playing!

In all seriousness, most of the things mentioned in this thread would catch my attention if I noticed someone doing them in my neighborhood, and if the same person did it more than once, I might call the police non-emergency number to request that they check it out.

On checking out the neighborhood for a potential house purchase--even if someone reported your license number to the police, it would be pretty easy (and plausible) to explain what you were doing, and the fact that someone noticed and reported you would tell you something valuable about the neighborhood (good or bad is your own opinion). Or if you were walking around to check out the neighborhood and someone came up to question you, I think that would be a great opening for learning more about the neighborhood. "Hi! Yeah, we're thinking of buying that house over there and wanted to see what the neighborhood was like. How long have you lived here? Do you like it? Is it quiet?" Kind of turn the questions back on them and try to learn something useful. If, for example, you were more of a keep-to-yourself person, you would thus have learned that the neighborhood expects more participation, so maybe that's something to consider in your home buying.

Oh, I know I wouldn't have been arrested or anything, but it would've been embarrassing having to deal with. Especially since I'm a prosecutor. :)

gen xer

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »
I like to walk around and so I do.  I would be very, very put out if someone questioned my right to walk down a public street.

Yes, but would you be put out if someone said, "Hello! Do you live around here?" in a friendly way?

And also--walking past is one thing. Hanging out, brushing your dog, sitting on the roadside reading a book--those are all very different from walking on the sidewalk.

I wouldn't be put out by someone asking me that question in a friendly manner although I would have to wonder why they wanted to know.  Where I would be put out is if I answered no to their question and they circled their wagons and started interrogating me or otherwise trying to make me feel unwelcome.

I see all manner of activity and people I don't know in my middle-class neighbourhood but it isn't any of my business to concern myself with what they are doing if it is indeed legal ( legal encompassing noise ordinances, disturbances etc ).

I get that neighbours want to look out for each other but you can run into a lot of problems with being a busybody too.

Jones

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »
Due to safety reasons in the community, lots of unknown pedestrians and cyclists pass my house in a day. Also, probably due to the street sign and the natural windbreak my fence provides, people use the sidewalk in front of my house to meet each other, wait for rides, etc. most of those people are strangers though some use it often enough we recognize each other and wave now. I wouldn't be put off by someone reading a book as they are probably waiting for a ride, or kids playing with sidewalk chalk as we have one of the few sidewalks in the area.

Strangers are always parking nearby and doing car mechanical work, primarily because one of my neighbors is a mechanic who walks them through the process. Sometimes he isn't home and they use his tools, as it's in broad daylight I assume by pre-arrangement.

I have seen drug deals go on around town, but none near my home at this point, fortunately.

Betelnut

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »

Yes, because when I'm walking, I'm exercising, listening to music, thinking my own thoughts.  Remember, that person asking me the question is a stranger to me also so I don't want strangers approaching me.

This whole conversation reminds me of a recent incident that led to much disccusion and national disharmony that shall remain rather cloaked due to political reasons...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently