Author Topic: Your earliest memory . . .  (Read 2100 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Your earliest memory . . .
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »
My earliest memory... I was about two*. I had my yellow sippy with a white top and waved it at my mom. I was thirsty, darnit! She placed something in my sippy and handed it to me. I am sure my little two year old self was happy, thinking about water (loved water then and love it now). Took a sip, and screwed up my face, handing the sippy back to my mom, glaring as much as a two year old can, anyway. She had put MILK in my sippy. Two year old me was not happy. I still remember what the kitchen looked like from that height too...

*had to be two, cause we moved out of that house when I was two and half. Couldn't have been younger, because at like eighteen months or something, I tossed my bottle in the trash, apparently. I also tossed my mom's wallet in the trash. I was a regular baby plucky "Elelator go down da hole."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 08:29:08 PM »
I come from a family of storytellers, so I'm not sure.

I think the first thing I really remember is the day sis came home. I was mad she wasn't an older brother like my best friend Kelly had. So she brought me baby go bye bye. It was a doll that fit in saucer walker thing. You put these pegs in holes in the bottom and that programmed it and it would go in different patterns. I let them keep her.

I also have a memory of waking up, going to find my parents in the kitchen/family room and screaming the house down because there were a bunch of strange men sleeping on the floor. The night before after I had gone to sleep my parents had received a phone call from Mom's 2nd youngest sister. Some of her friends were doing the drive a van through the US and had broken down in Houston. Could we help them. Dad had gotten a van from work, picked them up, let them stay in the house, and was planning on getting their van fixed the next day. One of those strangers is now my Uncle.

I remember the sensation of Mom literally throwing me in the back yard, and locking the door. Some popcorn had caught fire. Dad was badly burned there was hot/burning oil all over the kitchen. THe neighbors rushed to help and one of the teenagers kept me in the back yard while the women helped treat Dad and get him to the ER (way before 911), and the men cleaned/repaired the kitchen.

My first memory of world events - Ford Pardoning Nixon. I was sooooo ticked off about them canceling my show. I asked Dad what pardon meant. He explained. I asked well if you become president does that mean I can do whatever I want? From the kitchen THat depends am I still your Mother!
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
My first memory is of pulling out the bottom drawer of violinp's and my dresser to grab something on top of it. Yes, that old fallacy. Anyway, I remember it going down and coming down on me. violinp ran in, and I yelled, "Get Mommy and Daddy, now!" I was 2 years old at the time.

It was only years later that I realized that the reason I was able to yell was because part of the dresser landed on my crib. The idea that I could have gone to the hospital for that chills me, even 20 years later.

I also barely remember getting cut with broken glass when I was at that same age. Mom tells me I had to get three stitches for that one and didn't cry at all. I also stuck things into electrical outlets at age 2. I distinctly remember seeing covers on the outlets and wondering why those were on there. After a while, when pulling on the cover, I realized it came off. Little CabbageGirl didn't realize that Mom and Dad had done that to protect their little girl.  :-[

It's a wonder I managed to live long enough to get into graduate school.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

dawnfire

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »
This is an odd memory as there are no visuals; just sound and motion. I guess I would be under one when it happened.

I'm being rocked (I can feel the rocking motion) and my mum is singing a variation on you are my sunshine (the line i remember is you are my sunshine-neah <mum was a pacific islander, so I assume this was a bit of local pidgin>)

I still find myself singing the first few lines (the rest gets a bit depressing) to that song to my boys

otterwoman

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »
I was two. My earliest memory was a car accident. I remember standing in the back leaning on the top of the front seat, then being on the floor of the front of the car. I remember sitting on the EMT's lap in the ambulance going to the hospital.

Years later in high school, the psychology teacher hypnotized the entire class and took us back to our earliest memories. I relived the accident. I snapped out of the hypnotic state with a loud start. Ever since then, whenever someone's tried to hypnotize me, I fall asleep instead. And snore loudly.

Before anyone is outraged; it was 1968, no car seats for kids and no seatbelts for the back seat.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 09:27:20 PM »
I didn't have a pleasant childhood, so my memories are scattered, but I do have some fun ones.

I woke up on Christmas Eve, maybe early Christmas morning to my parents talking to someone in the living room. I had to go to the bathroom, and when I walked out of my bedroom, Santa was sitting in my living room, talking to my parents. I freaked, I snuck to the bathroom, which was just a few feet from my room. I sat as far back on the toilet as I could, so he wouldn't see me. I didn't flush, and bolted back to my bedroom. I was 5.

doodlemor

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »
I remember how unhappy I was when my mother switched to bottle feeding, when I was about 6 months.  I don't remember the specific feedings, but remember how I kept trying to get her chest instead of the bottle.

I also remember a picture sitting when I was about the same age.  My mother had a professional portrait done by a photographer, to be a Christmas present for my Dad.  I kept turning around to my mother and playing with her pearl necklace, and couldn't understand why I was being constantly redirected.  I think that I remember this because the picture was in my childhood home.

I remember sitting in my crib waiting for "them" to get me out.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »
I have 3 or 4 memories of different times during or before 1957 on my Grampa&GrammaH's farm.  I turned 3 y.o. in July of that year. The year is an exact one because my mother's brother passed away in December 1957, and the farm was sold in 1958.

- I have 1 memory of my Uncle. I was standing in the half of the family farmhouse that Uncle, Aunt, and Cousin lived in. Uncle had a terrier that I wanted to pet but the dog kept trying to nip at me. I remember Uncle lying down and was talking to somebody.

- I have a vivid memory of walking with Grampa to the end of the lane to get the mail.

- I remember standing at the top of the enclosed staircase that connected the 2nd floor to the kitchen  (a common design for farmhouses built during the mid to later 1800's).

- I remember waking up early in the morning in one of the bedrooms of the second floor of my grandparents' half of the farmhouse. it was cold in the room.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 10:33:15 PM »
Well, I have a few, one kind of funny but the other two not so good and I don't really know the dates so I'm not sure what happened first cause I was the same age (4) in all these memories.

1) Seeing ET with my family and right when Elliot and ET meet in the cornfield and ET's neck elongates and he screams and Elliot screams, I screamed and jumped into my aunt's lap and wouldn't move for the rest of the movie.

2) Being strapped down to a papoose board so I could get stitches in my nose and eyebrow after falling down the stairs at home

3) Sitting on our couch with a cast up to my hip after I fell off my father's shoulders (he had been carrying me with both legs on one shoulder and when I started to fall he couldn't quite catch me and I hit the ground)

4) My 4th birthday party (so I guess this had to be before the rest) as I'm fussing over whether or not my Orphan Annie dress would be ready in time for the party.  It was! :)  And well it wasn't just like the dress Aileen Quinn wore, but to me it was my Orphan Annie dress.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

gmatoy

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 10:33:28 PM »
I remember standing at the gate of a huge white wooden fence. I was crying for my mother.

Years later, I saw a picture of me at 2, standing in front of a fence. I said something to my mother about how the fence looked like the one in my memory except it wasn't as tall. She pointed out my height next to the fence. Yep, that was the fence in my memory.

Why I remember this is because my mother had a false positive on a TB test and was given 2 hours to arrange care for her two children before being sent to the sanitarium. Once there, they sorted it out, but she was gone for at least a week. They told her I stood at that gate and cried every day. It was a traumatic experience for me!

I was hit by a car and lost most of my memory when I was 12. The only memories that I had were the very horrible and the very joyous. Those are stored in a different place than ordinary memories. So, I have almost no daily memories of my brother, but I remember when he died. Wish it were the other way around!

Any memory is precious to me; I have so few from before 12 years old.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »
Coolest thread ever!

Love all these stories!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 03:48:24 AM »
Before 2 maybe:

I remember watching my mother dive into water from a large rock.  She was wearing a black one piece bathing suit and a white with pink and black seaweed bathing cap.  Kind of like this one except the shape of the flowers was more like seaweed and they were slightly longer. 

Before 3:  My father is painting the wall behind the tv.  'Beast from 20,000 Fathoms' is on (I recognized the specific scene when I saw the movie years later.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 05:38:54 AM »
I can remember running towards a beach, and then everything went dark and my eyes hurt. The next part of the memory is being pushed into water and my face splashed.

According to family, I was about two, I ran onto the beach heading for the sea, tripped over and got sand in both eyes. Dad (possibly not thinking clearly) swung me into the sea and washed my eyes out on the spot. The saltwater might explain why the memory wasn't very comfortable.
Pet Hatchery | My books
Killgrace stories - Webserial current date: 3rd October 1929

Redsoil

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »
I think I would have been about 3?  I remember it was a cool day, and I was bundled up in trousers and a woollen jumper, but the sun was shining and there was no wind.  I was playing on a big pile of dried turkey dung* (no, it didn't smell and the feel of it was very dry and sort of flaky - almost like sawdust).  Dad was somewhere about (probably in the machinery shed) and I recall feeling perfectly at peace and happy.

*The turkey dung was used for fertiliser back then.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

squeakers

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »
And another memory. But it might be a false memory built upon hearing a conversation.

I recall the sensation of going up... and floating .. and landing. The images are no longer in a descriptive form.... too many years since I recalled them. But the sensations.. woo!

My mom got to ride in a neighbor's crop duster while she was pregnant with me.

But my mom was not one to talk about much of anything when I was young... too busy getting trashed, chasing A man or working.

I only know about the above (the ride) because I brought up a dream I had had and she said about the ride.  The other stuff... either her or siblings filled me in.

But I have had psychic type dreams before (as a kid and an adult) that are unexplained or were later explainable.  I just shrug and go on.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin