Author Topic: How Much Responsibility Do We Have?  (Read 6213 times)

Peppergirl

Re: How Much Responsibility Do We Have?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 01:33:49 AM »
This is interesting.

My mother is currently going through chemo.  I moved cities to be with her through this process.  Her third trip to chemo was my first time accompanying her.

I wore perfume.  I generally only spray a tiny bit on my wrist and that was it.  You have to be pretty close to smell it.

Anyway, one of the nurses came up and asked me if I knew the 'no scent' rule.  She was tactful about it and explained how people receiving chemo are sometimes painfully sensitive to scent/smell, and therefore they ask that no one wear perfume.

I was horrified, as was my mom, who had forgotten to tell me.

I apologized profusely and went immediately to the bathroom to wash it off the best I could. 

On a later visit (where I wasn't present), the nurse commented to my mother as to how appreciative she was that I had been 'so nice' about the perfume thing.  Apparently, people have taken great offense to this.   :o 

The fact that anyone could take offense to being mindful of patient's comfort during chemotherapy was truly appalling to me.  :(

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »
To avoid the clashing scent layers - if I am trying to minimize my scent footprint, I use ALL the same scent in the fewest possible  products - lavender shampoo, lavender conditioner, lavender soap, and lavender bath powder as needed instead of deodorant.  I don't use dryer sheets or laundry detergent that is advertised to keep my clothes smelling fresh for seven days - I don't want them to "smell" I want them to be CLEAN - which means I don't want them to smell at all.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:42 AM »
To avoid the clashing scent layers - if I am trying to minimize my scent footprint, I use ALL the same scent in the fewest possible  products - lavender shampoo, lavender conditioner, lavender soap, and lavender bath powder as needed instead of deodorant.  I don't use dryer sheets or laundry detergent that is advertised to keep my clothes smelling fresh for seven days - I don't want them to "smell" I want them to be CLEAN - which means I don't want them to smell at all.

Mmmm lavender...okay end threadjack.

White Lotus

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »
Yep, it is THOSE pine cones!  They're already out, and I think I will indeed ask they be moved at my favorite grocery store and my favorite drug store, which also stocks them. Thanks for that idea!
Thanks also for the tip on "unscented" v. "fragrance free."  Did not know that.

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 06:38:46 PM »
I'm pretty picky about what scents I like so I find that I dislike the way most perfume wearing people smell but I have no sensitivity to smells. I wear perfume whenever I think to put some on which is rarely.

If I knew there was someone in my life that was being adversely affected by my perfume I would cease wearing it around them. I will not just stop using scents I like on the off chance that I might at some point encounter someone that could be affected.