Author Topic: Another wedding gimmie pig  (Read 5665 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Another wedding gimmie pig
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 08:40:33 AM »
Both were rude but the bride was worse.  The guest had every right to be outraged and her reaction was understandable.  I might go as far as to say that a reaction like this might be the one thing that brings the point home.

We say this quite frequently but words on paper or a screen can't convey tone of voice.  The guest likely knows the bride well enough to know what those words actually meant. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »
I think they both failed, but the bride more so.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Lexophile

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »
I don't know that I would have done what the guest did, but I wasn't in her shoes. Here's what I got from this story:

1) Guest lost her job and is obviously in financial trouble (she says this frequently throughout the story).

2) Bride expects guest to give her money - something guest doesn't have - see item 1.

3) Guest reveals that this person is a friend from childhood. Friend is getting married and I gues having a baby too. Lots of information about guest supporting bride, but where is bride's support of guest?

Friendship works both ways. I know this person's life has to be overwhelmingly busy with an expensive wedding and a baby on the way, but I see no concern whatsoever for guest's wellbeing in general. I empathize with the guest's outrage. Perhaps she needed to purge some rage by leaving the letter after being so hurt by the bride's complete insensitivity.

I mean, geez. Right down to expecting guest to drop off the card (payment) to her house. Tacky and classless indeed.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »
Bride - level four rudeness - may need to drop old friend from childhood to level of "used to know her when we were both children - don't know her very well NOW".  Whether to choose the cold shoulder for a while or go immediately to the cut direct is up to the letter writer.  But the bride has clearly shown that she is a baboon with a very blue backside...  She has also proved that her logical reasoning skills never got beyond age two or so.  "My party + where's my present?" instead of "Friend has no job + she has no money coming in - she has no spare money for travel, bridal party clothes, presents, and the like. So her presence and support is her gift to me."

Letter writer - level one rudeness (at most, by comparison to Bride's) - friend might be a bit rude, but if you've caught rude fleas from a baboon with a blue backside, scratching doesn't make you a baboon, too.  It means rude fleas bit you and you itch.  Her level of rudeness is so much less in comparison that it is noticeable but most people would probably excuse her as long as she didn't push the bride off a cliff, just the porch!

Bridezillas need to be hit with a BIG clue by four, sometimes a clue by eight.  The bigger the Bridezilla - the bigger the clue needed.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
Good for Guest. Someone needed to call the bride out on her behaviour.

The "coming to my wedding for free" comment would have had me seething. I've been to plenty of weddings to support the happy couple, when there were other things I might rather have been doing. A gift as a show of well-wishes and as a token of appreciation for their hospitality is nice, but not required.