News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 06:28:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do we feel about getting older?  (Read 6753 times)

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
Re: How do we feel about getting older?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 07:19:42 PM »
I'm 51 today, so this is a timely post.

I agree totally with Julian; excellent post.

The biggest thing that I hate is the change in my vision. Other than that, I'm still pretty much the same as I was 20 years ago. :) WEll, that's not totally true; I don't sweat the small stuff. And it's mostly small stuff. :)
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

magician5

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 11:06:26 PM »
They say "you're only as old as you feel".

I bet I'm the world's first two-thousand-year-old man. Other than Mel Brooks, anyway.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Luci

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 01:35:21 AM »

I bet I'm the world's first two-thousand-year-old man. Other than Mel Brooks, anyway.

Similarly, "I thought I died this morning. I woke up and nothing hurt."

I have a friend who says that growing old is not for cowards.

There have been times when I didn't think that growing old is better than the alternative, but those times are few and far between now.

CakeEater

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »
I'm turning 35 in a few weeks, so ignore as you like!

I got my first grey hair at 19, and it's getting pretty set in, now. I don't know where that came from - both my parents didn't start going grey til their 40s, at least.

I notice that I just have to work harder at things than I did at 20 - weight loss, fitness, not turning into a hypochondriac.

Just about the only facebook ecard that I have really appreciated was the one that said, "I don't feel like I'm in my thirties, and then I hang out with some people in their twenties and I think, 'Yep, I'm in my thirties.'" I don't feel like I'm any older than I was 15 years ago, but when I spend time with a 21 year-old, I definitely feel 35.

My first ex-student that I taught as an 11 year-old had a baby last week, so that made me feel old. And I'm going to the wedding of another in March. Strange to think of my little 10-year-old kids as adults.

I'm not really excitied about getting older, but I don't want to re-live any younger age, so that's the way it goes, I guess.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 07:32:39 AM »
I'm 48 and made a big change in lifestyle 2 years ago so I am in better shape than I've been since late 30s. I don't have much grey hair but my eyelashes started turning grey about 2 years ago but easily resolved with mascara. I've been farsighted since my teens and while it got worse through my 30s it's leveled off now. But thinking bifocals are in my future because reading some print is becoming more difficult.

I do get stiff quicker when sitting for long periods.

I'm a little looking forward to menopause cause I'm a little tired of the alternative after 35 years.

My biggest complaint is I don't sleep as soundly as I used to. I used to sleep solid for 7 to 8 hours, now I'm averaging 4 to 5.

suzieQ

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »
I'm waiting for the day my hair is primarily grey.  I will stop coloring it at that point.  I don't mind grey hair, but I refuse to have mouse brown hair.  :P

Mine has been mouse brown with red highlights all my life, so I'm good with it. My grandmother died at 96 with strawberry blond hair that started out as auburn, Mom died at 55  :-[ with just a few streaks of gray. I'm 68 with even less gray than my mom, but it is thinning. Not embarrassing yet, but who knows?

Mine started out red, but in late thirties it started going blonde, and now I'm totally blonde. Lately I've been using a demi permanent to make it red again. I'm guessing blonde is as grey as I'm going to get.

yachtchick

• Caribbean Cat Charters
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
I feel wiser and more settled than ever.  60 comes in a few months but despite the physical implications - let's face the old bod ain't what it used to be - the mind is agile and I smile a lot.
You can not control the wind - you can only adjust your sails.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
I turned 45 in June.  Due to diet and exercise, I'm probably in better shape than I've been for 15 years or so.  I'm ignoring the fact that I'm aging, frankly, other than all the menopause jokes I've been cracking, thanks to the hot flashes.

I play ball on a couple of different teams, with a few kids half my age, or younger, though most of them are late 20's, early 30's.  I also downhill ski.  I have lost a bit of my nerve doing that - I'm a bit afraid of falling - but I still hit most of the slopes.  I skip the double black ones now, though.  I have no need to ski something called 'Elevator Shaft', thank you very much.

I started life as a platinum blonde.  My hair slowly darkened to a dark blonde, light brown with lots of different highlights, including the blonde and some red.  Now, my highlights are white.  But they still blend in nicely and look more blonde than anything.  I joke that I'm going back to my platinum blonde roots.

I'm at the stage in my life where, while I'm a little wistful that I never had kids, I'm appreciative of the fact that I can do what I want, when I want and I don't have to answer to anybody.  If I want to eat dessert first, I can!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Vall

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »
Like AmethystAnne, I didn't expect the chin hairs either.  That's something that I'm really not pleased with.  I had no idea when I was younger that I would be "one of those women".  I pluck them out every single day (it takes at least 10 minutes a day to get them all) but I'm still embarrassed about them.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 08:17:35 PM »
Well, I don't mind the concept of getting older. I feel more settled into who I am, and have learned to be much more accepting of what I've always considered to be my shortcomings. I like myself more than I ever have before.

I'll be 49 in about a month and am going through menopause and that's no fun at all, but at least it won't last forever. Probably the worst thing about getting older is all the funerals I seem to be going to anymore.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

LibraryLady

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »
I turned 60 in September and I feel like Gui - not much different mentally.  Physically, arthritis is taking its toll.  My hands and feet hurt in the morning and some during the day, the gray hair is here, as is the chin hair (it grows so fast  :'(  ) and husband is really slowing down (10 years older) 

But life is good and wouldn't trade it for anything.  I am still working and wish for more hours in the day to keep up with all I want to do.  Not retired yet, will have to wait, as the downturn 5-6 years ago hit the retirement  fund a little hard, so will have to wait.  Maybe 62 will be my magic number, otherwise come 66, that will be it.

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »

Similarly, "I thought I died this morning. I woke up and nothing hurt."

I have a friend who says that growing old is not for cowards.

There have been times when I didn't think that growing old is better than the alternative, but those times are few and far between now.

I have a friend who says that, too! He turned 78 this summer, the day after I turned 40. I tell him I like hanging out with him because he still thinks I'm young and cute :) I have other friends in their 70's who have made the prospect of getting older not so bad. I used to be really kind of afraid. Now I have these friends who seem like once they hit 70 turned into college kids again. It's funny. I hang out with 3 generations of people at my camper. I never thought about it that way before, but it's true now that "the grandkids" are hitting their teens and twenties.

At barely 40 I'd be lying if i didn't say I feel a little older. Everything seems to take just a little bit longer to heal up, mostly. I can't just gad about with reckless abandon without feeling the consequences for longer than I generally expect to. I'm going to try to get into better shape in the hopes of slowing that a little.
And I have to brag ... I can still do a perfect cartwheel, stick the landing and all. The kids at camp challenged me and literally had their mouths hanging open when I was done  ;D

ETA: Oh, yeah. The facial hair. Um. I could do without that. It's not terrible, but i have started taking measures. Ugh.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:00:11 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 06:01:22 PM »
The biggest thing for me is drinking.  I used to enjoy a few drinks every once in a while.  Now?  One or two and I'm done.  I can't take the hangovers anymore.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »
They're not chin hairs, they're stray eyebrows!   ;D

I use one of those epilator things, it gets the nasty heavy hairs but still leaves the natural peach fuzz.  Once a week seems to do it, combined with a daily check to see if I've missed anything, or if a particularly vigorous hair has sprouted overnight. 

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

Redsoil

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 05:08:04 AM »
The biggest thing for me is drinking.  I used to enjoy a few drinks every once in a while.  Now?  One or two and I'm done.  I can't take the hangovers anymore.

Isn't that strange?  I've actually found the opposite!  I've always been lucky in that I don't suffer from hangovers (no matter how much I've had to drink).  However, I now find that even after 6 rums (or similar) I feel stone cold sober.  I've also had confirmation from friends that it's not just my perception, that it seems to them I've not had anything to drink, judging from my behaviour.  Most peculiar.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!