Author Topic: Classmates.com - Etiquette & Guidance on Contacting Website  (Read 3115 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Classmates.com - Etiquette & Guidance on Contacting Website
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
Agree - these are probably spam messages and you certainly don't have to reply to them.  I don't think I know anyone that still uses that site to be honest so it's probably going to be rare that you come in contact with anyone you haven't talked to in however many years on that site.

And if they are spam, it's best to ignore rather than respond--responding tells the spammer that they've found a valid email address, and they'll keep sending you more junk.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »
Agree - these are probably spam messages and you certainly don't have to reply to them.  I don't think I know anyone that still uses that site to be honest so it's probably going to be rare that you come in contact with anyone you haven't talked to in however many years on that site.

And if they are spam, it's best to ignore rather than respond--responding tells the spammer that they've found a valid email address, and they'll keep sending you more junk.

Yep.  I would ignore and delete as well.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »
I graduated from a particular high school in a certain large town in West Texas, USA.  The name relates to a nearby geographical feature.

I signed up to get my name in there and the local university in the same town, too.

The high school has a rather generic name - not quite as common as mud - but there seem to be high schools with the exact same name.  Think Hill High School (although that is NOT it) - it's about that common, though.

There are at least a dozen Hill High Schools that I am getting contacts from through both Classmates.com and Facebook.  But I have never lived in South Carolina, Illinois, California, or any of the other states that apparently had someone with the same first name and a last name that is "close enough" that they are assuming that my listed (married) surname is my (also listed - but as my middle name) is my maiden surname.  Maiden surname is NOT common - married surname is.

Rather than foam at the mouth and yell in frustration at these people who think that I look a lot like their old classmate Liz, Lisa, Lizzie, Beth, Betty, Eliza, Elizabeth Surname from their days back in good old Hill High School - I want to get in touch with Classmates.com about the shortcomings of their programming, such that all these people who never lived in West Texas are contacting me about having gone to school with them a thousand (more or less) miles away.  So far replying that I am not the alumni they are looking for and then "ignoring" them seems to work.  It might not be the most polite thing - but it's not rude to tell strangers that "I don't KNOW you". 

I can't seem to find a "contact us" area on Classmates.com that doesn't involve PAYING them for a membership first.  I don't want to do that. There are genuinely about a dozen people that I wouldn't mind getting back in touch with.  The rest of them - well - I can ignore them if they get me mixed up with someone else or pass along their contact information to one of my three siblings that they are trying to get in touch with because my maiden surname probably only had the FOUR of us using it at that high school for years & years.  If anyone else with that last name ever moved to small town, I never heard about it from Dad's family...

Frustrating as it may be, I'd just ignore them all. As someone else pointred out, I don't think its classmate.com's programming, but human error. I've also seen it on FB.  People add something to their profile, say their HS; same name, but different town adn state.  I also get strange FB friend requests, and that's what I do. I got one from someone who had been in my class from 7th-12th grade. but honestly, I had to look him up and just chalked it up to an error on his part. The other one, no clue. Some guy who lives in a town near me. Don't recognize his name at all, and no clue who he is.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »
The etiquette part is how to handle frustration with what appears to be a design flaw or two without being rude to people who think that I went to school with them when I was living in another state.  The good side is that I am sure that they were not the ones bullying me back then.

I think that handling your own frustration isn't really an etiquette thing at all--that's sort of internal, no?

The only part that *is* etiquette is how to reply to the people who click on your name as a former classmate. And of course you can choose a path that *minimizes* your internal frustration and still be polite.

My vote: Just "ignore" them or whatever it is the site offers. Or block them. Whatever's available to you. Don't even bother replying.
   For one thing, what if it's spam?
   But even if it isn't--when you ignore/block them, you'll fade out of view. You don't owe them any more than that, really--social media isn't the same thing as real life.

It's just a mistake, and it's easier to handle than a telemarketer call.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:52:40 PM by TootsNYC »