Author Topic: that doesn't mean what you think it does....odd resolution #30  (Read 9700 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: that doesn't mean what you think it does....odd resolution #30
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »
^^^^

I can see where you’re coming from. “Porch monkey” from the Kevin Smith movies comes to mind. I know when I first heard that term at age 19 I had no idea it was a racial slur. I thought it was just my neighbors who did nothing but hang out on their porch and make fun of passers by all day. Or momo, which among my friends has always been an affectionate term for moron … but apparently means something else entirely. As far as I know, “friends with benefits” never did have a more innocuous meaning and there is nothing to “take back” since it was coined for the exact meaning that it is used. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I was thinking -- not "taking back" -- but "carrying the offensive to the dirty-minded enemy", and -- in return for all the things in the language which they have besmirched and ruined -- taking away from them, one of their creations.

I'm not, myself, fanatical about these issues; but while reckoning sex an excellent thing, I find twelve-year-old-ish nudge-nudge-wink-wink sniggering innuendo about anything which could be thought, however remotely, sex-related -- "gets old", as you American folk put it.  Cannot help sympathising with anyone who tries, however hopelessly, to go against that trend.

EllenS

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »

^^^^

I can see where you’re coming from. “Porch monkey” from the Kevin Smith movies comes to mind. I know when I first heard that term at age 19 I had no idea it was a racial slur. I thought it was just my neighbors who did nothing but hang out on their porch and make fun of passers by all day. Or momo, which among my friends has always been an affectionate term for moron … but apparently means something else entirely. As far as I know, “friends with benefits” never did have a more innocuous meaning and there is nothing to “take back” since it was coined for the exact meaning that it is used. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I was thinking -- not "taking back" -- but "carrying the offensive to the dirty-minded enemy", and -- in return for all the things in the language which they have besmirched and ruined -- taking away from them, one of their creations.

I'm not, myself, fanatical about these issues; but while reckoning sex an excellent thing, I find twelve-year-old-ish nudge-nudge-wink-wink sniggering innuendo about anything which could be thought, however remotely, sex-related -- "gets old", as you American folk put it.  Cannot help sympathising with anyone who tries, however hopelessly, to go against that trend.

I get what you're saying, but I think if someone wants to make a point like that, do it at your own expense.  Don't put a minor child's face on it, especially your own granddaughter.  Ick.

It sounds like this is more of a case of obtuse/can't be bothered.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »
I've got to agree that, supposing she were making a point, she could have made a much better choice of scene on which to do so.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
This is NOT a good hill to die on, is the way I'd put it.

But you can't always convince someone that they are doing the right thing the wrong way...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »

The problem with picking this particular phrase would be that the term 'friends with benefits' is a description of a type of relationship rather than an innuendo, or dirty word, or term that has an alternate meaning. It's not the kind of phrase where you go "they're 'friends with benefits', nudge, nudge, wink, wink, giggle", but rather a label for a type of relationship that would go along side things like casually dating, or one night stand or seriously dating, or living together.

She may not approve of that type of relationship, but the effect of trying to re-purpose the label is not going to make that point - most people will react the way the OP did, that she's a naive old person who doesn't know the meaning of the term. If they realize she does know the meaning (or don't know her age), they'll think she's kind of creepy or weird.