Author Topic: Help With Invitation Wording  (Read 690 times)

AlansGirl

Help With Invitation Wording
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:45:11 PM »
In early 2014, my husband will celebrate a milestone birthday and we're throwing him a party.  I need your help in wording the invitations.  You'd think that would be something easily Google-able but I've been at it nearly an hour.  Most of the hits I get are companies that want me to order pre-designed invitations from them and have them customize the details.  That's not really what I had in mind - I intended to buy some birthday-themed craft paper or nice cardstock and laser print them, so what I need is the text for the invite, not invitations themselves.  What I am finding is stuff like this:  http://www.invitationconsultants.com/samplewording.aspx?p_subcategory=164 (which there is nothing wrong with them if that's your sort of thing) but personally I dislike "over the hill" jokes/themes and as a whole, the samples on that site are WAY too cutesy for my taste and don't suit my husband's personality at all.

They don't need to be as formal in tone as "request the honour of your presence" but more like "the pleasure of your company" - I have it fixed in my mind that there is a set pattern of how the details are supposed to flow - person/occasion, location, date/time, type of thing (i.e, cocktail buffet with heavy hors d'oeuvres), to whom to R.S.V.P. and the R.S.V.P. date - but I am coming up completely empty in finding a template.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

ETA - I mean, I have it in mind that there is a fixed order for those things to flow but I don't know what it is - I don't know if what I wrote above is at all correct or not, other than the R.S.V.P. details go at the bottom.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:55:32 PM by AlansGirl »

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: Help With Invitation Wording
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »
I dusted off my 1950 copy of Emily Post's Etiquette and found this template:

Mr. and Mrs. [YourNameHere]
request the pleasure of
[insert name(s) of guests]
company at [dinner/tea/reception for X/ball in honor of Y/shower for Z/whatever]
on [date]
at [insert time] o'clock
[address]

While this might still be a bit more formal than you were looking for, I think you could adapt it easily.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:17:55 PM »
            Join us as we celebrate
              Alan's 40th Birthday

Saturday January 2nd
                     At 7pm

1234 elm drive

RSVP Alan'sgirl.                 Buffet dinner
(123) 444 5555.                Casual attire
Alan'sgirl@email.com

AlansGirl

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
Thank you guys so much!  That is exactly the kind of thing for which I was unsuccessfully searching.  It's not a formal party in the sense of 150 guests at a sit-down dinner, but it's more formal than a backyard barbecue:  cocktail buffet at a country club, so the Little Smokies will be in a silver chafing dish and not my Crock-Pot ;D  This gives me what I need to make it correct and fitted to the occasion.

Any metro Atlanta E-Hellions?  You should come!  (Although I don't have a firm date yet.)

Hmmmmm, you even got which milestone birthday it is correct!